Freaky Friday

January 8, 2011

in dinner, salads, snacks, trader joe's

Last night was weird!

First, Abe made dinner – which was strange because HE was the one who had been working + sick with a cold all day, not me!

I had specific instructions – fry an egg sunny side up, bake the Trader Joe’s Potato Latkes

Served over a bed of mache + shredded carrots tossed in Meyer Lemon juice

The last dollop of simple guac

Hot sauce, s + p

Runny yolk + greasy crunchy potato is the perfect salad dressing

We also split the last few bites of Abe’s leftover Honey Acorn Squash and Spinach

Since I ate nothing but gluten-free baked goods earlier I munched on an organic Ambrosia for dessert

We had plans to attend an art opening, but as we drove by the gallery it looked way too crowded. So we went to Whole Foods instead – a hot Friday night!!!

Abe wanted to pick up a tub of hummus and I insisted he should just make it at home, since we had all the ingredients: chickpeas, tahini, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic powder, and salt.

Woops.

Poor hubby wound up slicing his finger pretty bad. I put the mean immersion blender away and finished the rest of the dip by hand, producing a very chunky (almost reminiscent of tuna fish?!) texture.

Eaten with celery

As if nursing my ill and injured husband wasn’t out-of-the-ordinary enough, I saw a mouse!!!

If you follow me on twitter you know I spotted it a few nights ago. I was hoping Julius had scared it off, but we’ve been ready with a few cruelty free mousetraps.

Tahini came in handy – we had just picked up peanut butter at Whole Foods, but I wasn’t wasting a dab of Justin’s, even if it was on sale!

Julius is NO help. I thought Jack Russell Terriers were supposed to be great at catching mice, but he hasn’t noticed it either time – and now he keeps setting off the traps!

The bizarre evening events made me peckish

I could’ve easily reached for another couple handfuls of Pumpernickel Pretzels but I knew that would be too much for my tummy. Whenever I snack before bedtime I’m never hungry til late the next day, and we’ve got breakfast plans with friends this morning.

So I sipped on a cup of Stripped Down Miso Soup to slow things down/quell the salt craving.

Hoping for a Super Sane Saturday….

Best band aid for fingers?

Anyone ever have luck with those humane mouse traps?

1 Lauren January 8, 2011 at 10:13 am

Awwww poor Abe. He was not having a good day! :(

2 Leann January 8, 2011 at 10:40 am

I had good luck with traps similar to that loaded with peanut butter (of course, our peanut butter was store-brand so we didn’t mind sharing). Mice tend to just keep exploring the same area so he/they should find it and investigate pretty quickly.

Julius reminds me of my dog when we had a bunch of house flies! He wanted to watch them and bat at them but wasn’t exactly a protector of the home …

3 Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) January 8, 2011 at 10:43 am

Oh poor ABE! That stinks! I love chunky hummus though. Good luck with the mouse. I hope you catch him soon!

4 Becki @ Hike, Bike, Eat January 8, 2011 at 11:05 am

The best types of bandages are those that you’re too embarrassed to wear in public. I’m fairly certain they have a High School Musical brand that would suffice for me :P

5 KeepItSweet January 8, 2011 at 11:35 am

My sister found a mouse DEAD in her SNEAKER a few months ago… I think she is scarred for life from that experience!

6 quinn January 8, 2011 at 11:56 am

I’ve used hav-a-hart traps very successfully. Don’t know about other live traps. How are you supposed to know you’ve got a mouse? With the h-a-h you can see right through the mesh, and tell whether something tripped it or whether you’ve actually caught something and can take it somewhere for release – which you want to do as quickly as possible, by the way. Good luck!

7 greensandjeans January 8, 2011 at 12:18 pm

I have never had luck with humane mouse traps! :( Luckily, I’ve always been able to catch them with a box or something and then take them outside!

8 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine January 8, 2011 at 2:31 pm

Mouse traps in general scare me!! I’ve never used one- my boyfriend uses the real ones and I’m always petrified I’m going to trip over one in the middle of the night!

9 Cindy January 8, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Mice are pretty crafty. It make take a while for them to finally venture into the trap.

I always keep flexible fabric finger tip and knuckle bandages in the house. They work great for their intended use and for around other odd shape spots, like the side of your chin, along side your knee cap, etc.

10 Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life January 8, 2011 at 3:34 pm

hahahaha! Your post was great! Any durable bandaid would work, but with fingers they tend to come off easily. I hope your husband is feeling better today and having a better day!

11 lequan January 8, 2011 at 8:38 pm

As much as I hate mice, thank you for getting the humane mouse traps. The other kinds are just too cruel.

When we moved to our new home we had mice problems cause it was a newly developed area and they were digging up their homes. We bought one of these clear humane mouse traps: http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/tincatb.JPG
and actually caught 3 mice and have not had a problem yet (knock on wood). We put the traps inside our garage along the wall entrance of our garage (one on each side). Putting food in there definitely helps! Best of luck!