Taxing Tasks

January 5, 2011

in breakfast

Whenever I finish my taxes each April, I vow to organize my write offs on a regular basis, so I’m not in data entry hell beforehand. Yet every single year, I find myself unable to deal with the receipts until the month before.

I already know my 2011 March is going to be cuckoo, so I’m tackling the shoeboxes early.

Food is the only shiny glimmer of light throughout this tedious task!

Cereal with almond milk, 1/2 a banana, a clementine – I mistakenly called these Puffins the other day but they’re actually Shredded Oats:

And they are delightful – maybe my new favorite?

A sprinkle of hemp seeds – couldn’t taste them, but I know from Christy’s guest post how nutritious they are!

Filling too, because a bowl of cereal doesn’t usually hold me over for more than 4 hours.

I have my monthly massage scheduled soon, plus dinner out I’d like to be hungry for, so I opted for a lighter lunchtime nibble.

Huge organic Ambrosia apple with a PB & J Cereal Bar

Yes, the tree is still up.

But I’ve a feeling it’s coming down soon, so I’ll share with you my new favorite ornament before it does:

Abe’s parents sent this wooden pizza paddle from Pepe’s, our favorite pizza place! It’s so cute. I want to make teeny tiny pies on it.

Speaking of pizza, check out Vegan Pizza Day for a chance to win 3 lbs. of vegan cheese!!!

Back to the shoebox…

1 Megan (Running Foodie) January 5, 2011 at 5:02 pm

No worries, our tree is still up too :)

2 suki @ [Super Duper Fantastic] January 5, 2011 at 5:03 pm

Last year I was super lazy about taxes, so I ended up filing an extension. I’m hoping that I am in better shape this year to get everything done in time. :)

3 Evan Thomas January 5, 2011 at 5:15 pm

We still have our tree up, too. I’m kind of wondering if my parents will ever take it down…

4 coffeeandthepaper January 5, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Eek! Good luck with your taxes! I started doing mine a couple of years ago, and so far it’s not to bad, but I don’t have a lot to do yet.

5 Lauren January 5, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Ugh, good luck with that. It sounds terrible but definitely worth doing.

6 Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) January 5, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Haha, I do the same thing every year. I feel so stupid every year that I don’t hold up to my tax promise! Although, I blame my disorganization this year on the fact that the year went by so quickly!

7 Tina January 5, 2011 at 6:14 pm

I JUST did a post about hemp seeds and some hemp products I reviewed! I love hemp milk and hemp milk based ice creams. And yes, my tree is still up too. I don’t want to take it down because 1. its a pain in the butt and 2. it means the holidays are REALLY over :(

8 Jessie January 5, 2011 at 6:14 pm

I love that cereal! It’s my favorite ever, and I often have it as a nighttime snack before bed.

Pepe’s is on of my favorite pizza places! I forgot you used to live in Middletown. Did you ever go to Sally’s?

9 Lynn at The Actors Diet January 5, 2011 at 8:16 pm

yes, once abe and i did a whole pizza weekend! i talk about it a little on my audition tape to be a food host: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSXqx0dysQ4&feature=player_embedded

10 Rachael January 5, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Kudos to your head start. This is the first year I have to actually do my taxes; I used to file as a war tax resistor, which meant tons of paperwork and hell for my HR department (made up for with copious amounts of baked goods). Those were the days…

11 Wendy lee January 5, 2011 at 7:30 pm

I think the idea of having Julius look over your tax receipts is an excellent idea. Maybe you can send him to accounting classes.

12 Cindy January 5, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Thank you for making me feel better about my small stack of receipts I’ve not organized.

13 bakebooks January 5, 2011 at 7:47 pm

I LOVE that you still have your tree up. I still have my lights up …and they’re staying up! The Holidays are the only “light” in my life – so I must take what I can get…

Oh God – taxes! Eeps. I’m scared to death of this year because I’m going to have to pay in money…I switched jobs that doesn’t take out taxes already – so this is going to scare the pants right off of me…should have been saving….but that’s impossible when your trying to pay down debt!

14 Gail January 5, 2011 at 7:47 pm

I am so impressed that you are starting your taxes now…..but after all these years I think I shall continue being Last Minute Minnie.

15 Danielle @ myfoodideas January 5, 2011 at 7:50 pm

love the ornament! i wanna go to Pepe’s!

16 Monet January 5, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Oh taxes…I don’t even want to think about those! Do you like the ambrosia apples a lot? I’m so partial to pink ladies that I don’t branch out. Let me know how the compare! Take care, sweet girl.

17 Lynn at The Actors Diet January 6, 2011 at 12:08 am

i love pink ladies as well! this was my first time with an ambrosia that i can remember – i’m no apple expert, but i think they’re pretty similar – crisp and sweet. i mean, i wouldn’t be able to tell the difference in a taste test!

18 Healthy Coconut January 5, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Coming from an accountant, yes…please do organize your receipts before you visit your CPA during tax season, lol!

I bought from Target this $1 receipt organizer that has all sorts of tabs, perfect way to stay semi-organized throughout the year.

Does the cereal taste like the Quaker brand?

19 Lynn at The Actors Diet January 6, 2011 at 12:09 am

i’ve never had the quaker brand so i’m not sure, but it’s what i’d imagine the cereal to taste like!

20 lowandbhold January 6, 2011 at 7:07 am

Ugh, taxes. I hate them and mine aren’t even that hard. I never get money back though. EVER!

21 Freckled Foodie January 6, 2011 at 7:15 am

i’ve gotta find some barbaras! :)

22 emily January 6, 2011 at 8:07 am

Good luck with the taxes! I hate doing mine!

Julius is super cute. :)

23 TheSceneFromMe January 6, 2011 at 8:30 am

Thanksfully my husband does all those tedious things associated with taxes for me!
The tree is beautiful, I don’t blame you for leaving it up :)

24 Roxan January 6, 2011 at 8:57 am

Omg, that box of receipts is insane! I think I would have a nervous breakdown if I had to do that.

And I’ve never had a Barbara’s cereal other than Puffins! I’ll have to try this one. Is it as addicting as puffins? I can seriously eat a whole box of puffins in one sitting. They’re so light and airy ;]

25 Lynn at The Actors Diet January 6, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Definitely as addictive as Puffins – they are airy, but heartier – if that makes any sense….

26 saltytooth January 6, 2011 at 9:14 am

How funny! My tree is also still up, I kind of don’t want to take it down…but I also don’t want to turn into “those people.” :)

27 edenseats January 6, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Its so sad, I saw trees dumped everywhere around la. at least I know none of them were yours.
You are so responsible with the tax stuff! you should be an accountant (semi kidding, its not as thrillinga s being an actor, of course)

28 Pearl Lee January 6, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Lynn! Julius is SO cute. what breed is he?

29 Lynn at The Actors Diet January 6, 2011 at 8:56 pm

he’s a jack russell terrorist, i mean, terrier