Tickling the Ivories

January 2, 2011

in dessert, dinner, movies, salads, soup/stew

Although I haven’t been practicing the last 10 years, I still consider myself a pretty proficient piano player.

Humbled:

Rockband 3 + Keyboards is not a game for pianists. It will frustrate you beyond belief, even though the controls coincide with actual notes from the song. If you are a complete beginner, though, I think you might enjoy it. Just don’t expect to ever learn the “real” piano part for “Bohemian Rhapsody.” (I know it and still failed horribly.)

Singing, however, I can handle. Abe and I worked up quite an appetite rockin’ out and were ready for an early dinner around 5.

Round 3 of Thursday’s Lentil Soup was a BIG SUCCESS!

I added even more ingredients to the leftovers, pureed, and it FINALLY tasted legitimately delicious!!!

In the end, here’s everything that went in: lentils, carrots, onion, celery, veggie stock, coconut oil, roasted sweet potato, cherry tomatoes, garam masala, marjoram, tarragon, tomato paste, Just Roasted Garlic powder, and salt/pepper.

Garnished with a simple, chunky guacamole

And a mixed green + carrot salad (EVOO + lemon juice)

My last Brody’s oatmeal pie! My heart breaks every time I finish a batch.

With a cocoa-filled espresso cup

In a Woody Allen mood last night.

(I’m always in a Woody Allen mood!)

So far, 2011 rocks.

1 Astrid January 2, 2011 at 9:10 am

I have never played any of the rockbands. I feel that I would get very frustrated very quickly! Kind of like I do when I play mario kart. It is never a pretty picture. Glad your year is off to a great start!

2 Liz @ Tip Top Shape January 2, 2011 at 9:13 am

I love Woody Allen, too! His movies are hilarious!

3 Erica January 2, 2011 at 9:17 am

Rockband is super hard! But a lot of fun. Glad the soup is at your liking. Sounds yummy to me. I’m making split pea tonight and can’t wait

4 lowandbhold January 2, 2011 at 9:59 am

The soup looks great! I took piano lessons in my youth but never excelled at it. Perhaps Rock Band would be my jam? Haha.

5 Lin January 2, 2011 at 10:11 am

I’ve never played the piano or bothered to learn, looks like Rockband is the game for me ;-)

6 Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) January 2, 2011 at 10:11 am

Looks like a tasty meal! I have wondered about that movie. I want to watch it, but I did not even think about it being a Woody Allen flick. I think I need to check it out.

7 Kjirsten- Balanced Healthy Life January 2, 2011 at 10:15 am

I used to take piano lessons when I was little, but I was never any good. I love Woddy Allen too! What’s not to love!

8 Rose January 2, 2011 at 10:20 am

who ISN’T always in a woody allen mood?
every time i see a pic of one of those brody’s pastries i get a little bit closer to buying myself like 5 boxes of the stuff online (i DO have website bookmarked…)

9 chezjulie January 2, 2011 at 10:38 am

I heard a piece on NPR about DJ Hero, which is like Rock Band for DJ-ing. They interviewed several professional DJs who said it was really difficult for them to play.

10 Lisa January 2, 2011 at 11:33 am

I’ll have one of each, please! I love the idea of tweaking leftovers until they are awesome. The addition of the avocado sounds like a fab plan.

And the oatmeal pie…….yum!!!!!

11 Ada January 2, 2011 at 12:29 pm

LOVE that movie! Wish you lived in San Francisco instead of LA (i’m headed there now).

12 suki @ [Super Duper Fantastic] January 2, 2011 at 1:17 pm

my friends in real bands really don’t like rock band because it’s nothing like playing the real instruments. funny though, there are people out there who memorize the moves in rockband and get all crazy about mastering the game that they think they’re in a real band…

13 Simply Life January 2, 2011 at 1:25 pm

sounds like a fun day of games!

14 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine January 2, 2011 at 2:17 pm

I played piano for 15 years and haven’t touched one since I went to college. It was required for living in my parents’ house!! I always forget I used to play :)

15 Katy January 2, 2011 at 11:10 pm

Ugh there you go again with the brody’s stuff!!! :P

16 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) January 3, 2011 at 10:39 am

I haven’t seen very many Woody Allen movies!!! I really liked the ones I have seen, so I might have to have an old movie night :-)

17 Lynn at The Actors Diet January 3, 2011 at 11:57 am

you are so lucky you haven’t seen many b/c then you get to experience them all for the first time! some are hit or miss, but in general, i just love the feeling you get watching them.