Hot Blooded

December 26, 2010

in bakeries/cafes/dessert places, soup/stew

When I woke up this morning, I had a fever – 100.3! That made me think that this sickness might actually be a stomach bug, and not food-related. Which is a relief, because I would hate to become sworn enemies with the food of New Orleans.

Even though I was feeling pretty weak and ache-y, I refused to believe I would be sequestered in bed all day again. So I kept rechecking until it went down to normal.

Hmmm….I don’t even know WHAT that means, other than my thermometer must be broken?

All I knew is I had to get outside of our trashed hotel room!

All bundled up, with two sweaters and thick tights under my jeans (my body temperature isn’t the only one that dropped drastically – it was legitimately cold out).

We wandered around the French Quarter – apparently more places were closed today than on Christmas!

Somethin’ Else Cafe was open, and looked cozy.

One of their soup specials was Chicken Rice. EONS better than my dinner last night – the stock tasted homemade and was just what the doctor ordered.

I liked how it came in an actual cup too

Abe had already eaten a full breakfast earlier so he ordered a Homemade Rice Krispie Treat. They must’ve made it on the spot because it took a little while, and was all free-form:

He said it was warm n chewy, too.

After eating we went to the Katrina exhibit at the Louisiana State Museum

Then popped in to St. Louis Cathedral next door, where mass had recently wrapped

I was beginning to feel ache-y and woozy so we headed back to our hotel. Not before doing a little shopping first

I always pick up a Christmas ornament whenever I travel (here are some past mementos)

I’ll never forget my NOLA X-mas with this guy around to remind me every year!

And like magic, when we returned…

…going to climb right back in and mess it all up now!

Somethin' Else Cafe on Urbanspoon

1 coffeeandthepaper December 26, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Glad you both were feeling up to exploring the city a bit today! Museums are my favorite part of visiting other places – you learn so much!

Hope the stomach woes continue to improve bit by bit.

2 elise December 26, 2010 at 2:00 pm

i love collecting ornaments from trips…still havent even managed to have my own tree though. one of these years…

so im thinking that the thermometer from cvs is probably fairly unreliable, but either way, im glad youre feeling better-ish.

3 Evan Thomas December 26, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Hope you’re feeling better! Having someone to clean your room is definitely the best medicine :-) My fever on Wednesday was 101.2, but thankfully that didn’t stick around for long.

4 vanillasugarblog December 26, 2010 at 3:30 pm

was the hubby sick too? glad you’re a bit better. that soup looked so good–that had to make you feel good & fuzzy in a good way.

5 Lynn at The Actors Diet December 26, 2010 at 3:36 pm

no he was totally fine. i’m thinking it must’ve been some kinda stomach bug that finally caught up with me.

6 Cindy December 26, 2010 at 3:45 pm

Glad you are starting to feel a little better. That soup looked yummy!

7 Jos December 26, 2010 at 6:10 pm

Nothing beats a warm good soup when you’re not feeling well. Glad you start to feel a bit better now.

8 Mimi December 26, 2010 at 10:43 pm

So glad you’re feeling better! As for the thermometer, if you just drank something it could be lower. Or you just run cold (as smaller people sometimes do). I usually clock in below 98.6.

9 lequan December 27, 2010 at 2:19 am

Hope you feel much better tomorrow, dear! Kudos to you for not letting yourself be trapped in the hotel all day. Wanted to wish you a merry Christmas, but didn’t feel proper after seeing your “sick” tweet. Try to have a happy holiday ok? :)

10 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine December 27, 2010 at 5:28 am

Glad you were feeling well enough to venture out a bit today…hopefully the trend continues and you’re feeling even better today!

11 KeepItSweet December 27, 2010 at 5:43 am

So glad you were able to get out again! My normal body temp is usually around there… if I am at 98.6 it means I practically have a fever lol

12 Ada December 27, 2010 at 6:04 am

Awww your poor thing! I’m so glad you’re feeling better now!

13 lowandbhold December 27, 2010 at 2:36 pm

I’m glad you were able to get out. The chicken rice looks great!