Sweet Birthday

December 24, 2010

in bakeries/cafes/dessert places, breakfast, music, travel

I got my ID back! Just in time to prove to everyone that this baby-face is actually 34 today!

Only one place on my mind for breakfast…

The wait to sit at Cafe du Monde was insane, as usual.

Hopped on the to-go line, which was much more manageable.

A very good family friend just happened to be in town, so I got to see him for the first time in five or six years! We got two orders (they come three for $2.14) and sat across the street in Jackson Square

SO. MUCH. SUGAR!!!

I sorta wore the worst outfit for this.

Ordered a decaf cafe au lait…

…perfect for dunking!

Amazing. I had these the last time I was in New Orleans but don’t remember fully appreciating them the way I did this morning.

#2!!!

Everyone should be so lucky to eat beignets for their birthday breakfast. (They taste more like funnel cake than donuts, for those of you who have never experienced one.)

Afterwards we took a little walk along the river and listened to the steamboat calliope.

He was rockin some X-mas tunes!

My feet were beginning to hurt again from yesterday’s 9-ish miles so we tried to do as many non-walking things as possible. Starting with:

For a 10-minute tarot card reading, I paid $30 (plus a $5 tip)

She got NOTHING right (said I was in education/a student, embarking on a new romance, etc.)

But at least I got a tape to listen to my rip-off session over and over!

We’ll see if what she predicted for my future comes true in the next 6 months – she said some WACKY stuff that would be akin to a Christmas miracle!

Other ways to experience NOLA without moving too much – listen to GREAT street music…

(The Jaded Optimists, from Seattle!)

Abe paid for some really bad coffee so we could sit outside a cafe and people watch…

…and then we rode the streetcar!

Before hopping on we stopped into Rouses Food Market for some local junk food. Those beignets were surprisingly filling – I was held over for 5 hours and just wanted a little snack.

Since seeing their factory yesterday I’ve been curious about Hubig’s:

They had everything from Coconut to Apple. I chose Sweet Potato and split it with Abe on the streetcar.

YUMMERS. Just like a sweet potato pie, with icing.

We rode the St. Charles Line, which goes into the Garden District, past Tulane. Beautiful window watching.

securedownload

At $2.50 for 2 hours, this was much better than any guided tour bus! We rode all the way, from the beginning to the end of the line.

securedownload-1

Here I am, wishing Emeril’s Delmonico was open (they’re closed for the holidays).

securedownload-3

Luckily, not every big New Orleans chef has closed tonight. I am SO READY for my birthday dinner! And after the “meals” I’ve had today, I’ll be perfectly fine if there’s no cake!

Cafe Du Monde on Urbanspoon

1 edenseats December 24, 2010 at 4:56 pm

yay to getting the ID back! phew!
I’m jealous of the sugar overload, but not of the crash that tends to follow.
Have a wonderful christmas and happy birthday!

2 It All Changes December 24, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Happy birthday! You’re going to need it if you get carded :-)

3 It All Changes December 24, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Happy birthday! You’re going to need the ID it if you get carded :-)

4 Tina December 24, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Happy Birthday!! Looks like you’re making the most of it :)

5 Susan C December 24, 2010 at 6:26 pm

Sounds like a fantastic birthday, Lynn! Happy, happy! Merry, merry! New Orleans is a fantastic city. My oldest nephew goes to Tulane and I visited him last year. Hope to get back there this year for some cafe au lait and beignets and and all the other delicious and musical treats. Enjoy!

6 Anne Marie December 24, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Happy Birthday!! How fun that your birthday is Christmas Eve. Enjoy it :)

7 Roxan December 24, 2010 at 6:53 pm

I love cafe du monde! I tried taking some begniets home with me when i went… not a good idea! It was so gloppy and gross by the time I got to la.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY again!!!

8 Ada December 24, 2010 at 6:53 pm

Happy birthday!!!

9 junia December 24, 2010 at 7:02 pm

oh my, i was at cafe du monde just a few years ago when i visited new orleans! :) i loved the beignets there and bought a mix to make it at home!

happy birthday!!!

10 vanillasugarblog December 24, 2010 at 7:12 pm

yes!!! so glad you went. now I’m starving for a Hubig’s pie! wonderful!

11 vanillasugarblog December 24, 2010 at 7:12 pm

oh i was so excited i forgot to say HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

12 GgroverGgeorge December 24, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Happy Birthday and merry christmas, Lynn…..That’s the nice thing about Asians, most of us look younger than our age…..you can pass as a cast member of Beverly Hills 90210…..if you want to. Anyway, all the best on this special day……hey, do you feel that its not fair when they say their birthday gift is also their christmas gift to you? tsk….tsk…tsk……

13 Melissa @ TryingToHeal December 24, 2010 at 8:39 pm

happy brithday lynn!!! i’m so glad you’re having a great time in new orleans!! yay!!!

14 Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) December 24, 2010 at 9:51 pm

Happy Birthday!!!!!

15 tan December 24, 2010 at 10:11 pm

Happyyyy Birthday!!!

16 suki @ [Super Duper Fantastic] December 24, 2010 at 11:38 pm

happy birthday! cafe du monde for breakfast!?! YUM. :D i have heard so much about the place. i’ll one day get to go! as for the tarot reading, wow that’s a lot to pay for a load of crap. at least you got a souvenir tape?! hooray for looking young forever!

17 Katie December 25, 2010 at 12:38 am

Coming out of xmastime blog lurk-dom to wish you a VERY HAPPY FREAKIN BIRTHDAY, my beautiful bloggie LA actor awesome friend! Sending you wonderful energy and the happiest of birthday wishes….see ya when you get back from new awlens ;)

(ps. i have a HUGE trash bag FILLED with clothes/shoes/etc that i’m saving for the swap…and it just keeps growing….geeeeet exciiiited…..)

18 squigglefloey December 25, 2010 at 3:12 am

Girl, you don’t look a year over 25!!! You are adorable, have a safe happy christmas

19 KeepItSweet December 25, 2010 at 5:28 am

those beignets look incredible! what a fun birthday!!

20 Katecooks December 25, 2010 at 7:28 am

Happy birthday!! The idea to dunk beignets into your coffee is really genius. That sounds amazing! Can’t wait to hear about your fabulous dinner!

21 Andrea@WellnessNotes December 25, 2010 at 8:26 am

Happy Belated Birthday!!!

The beignets sound and look amazing! Enjoy New Orleans!

22 emily December 25, 2010 at 11:25 am

happy birthday lynn!
i have also been to cafe du monde..sounds like an awesome birthday breakfast to me. :) have a lovely christmas!

p.s. i also rely on my ID, since i look years younger than 25. most of the time people think i’m in highschool or college. :) someday, maybe i’ll appreciate that?!

23 Pure2raw twins December 25, 2010 at 12:28 pm

Happy Birthday Beautiful!!!

I look young for my age, so I always get carded, haha!

24 Walking E December 25, 2010 at 10:31 pm

Those Hubig pies look fantastic! Like those little fried pies at the stores (yes, I have always had a weakness for those), but much richer and better! Happy belated birthday, and feel better soon!

25 Monet December 26, 2010 at 12:15 am

I am a December baby too…and I love how you celebrated your special day. I am going to convince Ryan to take me to New Orleans next year! I hope you and your love had a bright and joyful Christmas. I’m thankful that I found you…your wordss and sweet comments bring me so much joy. Many blessings!

26 Lin December 26, 2010 at 11:53 am

HAPPY HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY LYNN!!! (Feels like I’ve missed so much since I’ve been offline from last week!) I love/hate eating messy foods… so yummy but such a hot mess!

27 lequan December 27, 2010 at 1:04 am

Looks like that psychic lady wasn’t very observant either, obviously didn’t see your wedding ring.

That sweet potato thingy looks really good.

28 Rosa Capizzi October 7, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Io ho l'hob della lettura dei tarocchi, con le mie amiche ci siamo tanto divertite, specialmente quando andava bene e non ha pagato mai nessuno, quando vuoi basta chiedere. Ciao