Walkin’ New Awlins

December 23, 2010

in bakeries/cafes/dessert places, breakfast, travel

Mawnin’!

The way I like to travel is to see everything on foot. That’s one huge reason we decided on New Orleans – it’s warm enough to walk everywhere this time of year!

abe's nola pix.jpg

Not big on tourist spots when they’re crowded, so Bourbon Street at 10am was PERFECT.

I had several NOLA eating guides to consult for this trip – from various friends, readers (big thank you to Cristin especially, who’s gone above and beyond with lists) and online publications. Bookmarked my Yelp account with all the restaurants, and have been using their AWESOME iPhone app to find out what’s close-by while we explore.

After last night’s Meat-y Fiasco (never actually got sick, but it was awful enough that I’ve no desire to repeat it) I’m trying to eat vegetarian as much as possible – mostly so I can share the huge portions with Abe. It took about an hour to get to Satsuma, which Michael Stipe (who wrote a New Orleans guide for Gwyneth Paltrow’s GOOP) hailed as having “The Best Salad in the City.”

D’oh!

That’s okay, who wants to eat raw kale as their first meal?

(Well, I do…but not when I’m on vacation!)

Next we tried another suggestion on his list, Schiro’s Cafe:

They were only serving lunch, though, and we were definitely in a breakfast mood.

Third time’s a charm!

Cake Cafe and Bakery – described as “super local and great for people watching…packed with character (and characters)”

A black cat came in from outside!

The lady at the counter told me “He’s known as the Maitre D’,” as I ordered one of the specials, “Healthy Grits”

Got it sans goat cheese/eggs

Abe and I shared everything, though giving up half of this biscuit was very very (very) difficult.

Lotsa hot sauce, of course!

I was skeptical about grits after my experience with them last night, but these were AMAZING.

But where was our other order? We had polished off the grits, and were still waiting for quiche, so Abe stepped up to the counter again.

“You should’ve told us 10 minutes ago!” was her reply.

Since they brought out our other dish, I wasn’t sure how it worked – who messed up here? Whatever, it was awesome – and still piping hot. Filled with eggs, artichokes, goat cheese, and red peppers.

Split the quiche, and lingered an hour in this lovely cafe, reading.

Then it was time to walk again!

Spent 2 more hours wandering, through some of the areas more obviously affected by Katrina…

NOLAcollage1.jpg

… ♬ Down in the Treme, Just me and my baby ♬…

…back to the tourist-y spot (a.k.a. our area)

Sampled some Creole Candy. I was expecting a hard brittle, but it dissolves immediately!

Now we’re back in our hotel, resting up before hitting the city again. Hope my feet and stomach are ready!

New Orleans Cake Café & Bakery on Urbanspoon

1 Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) December 23, 2010 at 3:01 pm

Healthy grits- that’s not an oxymoron??

Looked amazing. And all that great walking. Glad you didn’t really get sick- that would be no bueno on the first night of a trip!

Enjoy!

2 ChezJulie December 23, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Ah, pralines! (See, told ya I was from the Gulf Coast). Yeah, they’re like goop-y sugar. Your posts are inspiring great envy in me for walking in the Quarter and getting that fix of New Orleans culture, like in the cafe.

You must watch the show Treme. I noticed your Hubig’s Pies sign. :-)

3 Lynn at The Actors Diet December 23, 2010 at 3:19 pm

yes, i did watch most of the first season – it was a little slow for me, but i’m definitely going to finish it up esp. after having been here!

4 ChezJulie December 23, 2010 at 3:24 pm

I thought so, too. I thought they captured the character of New Orleans perfectly, but the other characters and their stories were not terribly compelling.

5 leftcoastcontessa December 23, 2010 at 3:21 pm

GRITS! Oh my goodness I wish I was in NOLA right now. Looks like your having a great time.

6 Anna December 23, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Awww, have SO much fun! I wish I was there! And hey, if you wanna drive 4 hours north to Shreveport, feel free ;-)

7 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) December 23, 2010 at 4:03 pm

I prefer yellow grits. I find them to be smoother and creamier. Really yummy too!!!

Looks like the weather is beautiful, have fun!!! :)

8 emily December 23, 2010 at 4:13 pm

New Orleans is definitely a colorful place! I’ve only been once for a conference, but it was really warm and had a lot of culture. I also went to Mothers. I also think exploring via foot is the best way!

9 coffeeandthepaper December 23, 2010 at 4:24 pm

I love exploring by foot as well. I never understood the lure of bus tours and things like that.

I feel like I’m getting to experience New Awlins through you! Which is awesome, since I’ve never been!

10 Ada December 23, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Wow, it looks so pretty there! I’m so glad you’re having a nice trip:)

11 vanillasugarblog December 23, 2010 at 5:43 pm

you picked a good time to go there, not crowded at all. i hope you two will be getting some beignets at cafe du monde? you need to go there woman!

12 Lynn at The Actors Diet December 23, 2010 at 7:44 pm

yup – our plan is to go tomorrow for birthday beignets!

13 Lauren December 23, 2010 at 6:06 pm

That breakfast looks amazing. It’s a shame they almost forgot about the quiche but thank heavens they didn’t!!!! Gosh, it looks incredible!! Glad you’re having fun!

14 lowandbhold December 26, 2010 at 8:30 pm

I’ve never had grits. I need to try them though!

15 Rachel Wilkerson March 19, 2011 at 9:34 am

Ahhhh New Orleans DOES look pretty fabulous! Thanks for sharing this!!

16 Alan James December 14, 2011 at 11:26 am

Loved the movie angel heart set in new Orleans.