Let It Rain, Let It Rain, Let It Rain

December 20, 2010

in brunch, dessert, restaurant, salads, sandwich

That’s Abe, out on the cold/wet/windy beach with the dogs yesterday. I watched him, in my warm PJ’s, while eating a morning snack.

What makes braving these kinda road conditions worth it?!?

Amazing brunch, with good friends.

This was our first time at Westside Tavern and we loved it. Randall and Jae were kind enough to treat us, too!

I ordered the Grilled Vegetable Panini without the goat cheese. Comes with a choice of salad, homemade chips, fries, or soup.

Definitely a chowdah kinda day! New England Clam – with bacon, and oyster crackers

I finished half the sandwich – Nine Grain stuffed with portabella, zucchini, eggplant, roasted tomatoes, and pesto

Tried a bite of everyone else’s meals too. Everything tasted as good as it looks!

Abe’s Flatbread with Roasted Tomato, Burrata, Pesto, Arugula and Parm

Off the weekend brunch menu – Randall’s Short Rib Chilaquilles, with fried egg, avocado, and thick tortilla chips

Jae’s Crab Cake Benedict – with Avocado and Hollandaise, plus potatoes

Just when I thought things couldn’t get any better…

…banana pudding with…

(wait for it)

PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES

Elvis would be so proud.

The restaurant is just downstairs from the Westside Pavilion’s Landmark Theater. As we passed by the display for James Franco’s 127 Hours wardrobe, Abe wondered if the mannequin should be missing an arm?

(I suppose that would’ve been in poor taste.)

The scene outside was like a big-budget disaster movie! Tons of power outages, accidents, and general weirdness going on. I counted 5 fire trucks on the road.

Our dinner plans fizzled out so I threw together some quick salads at the beach house.

My bowl:

• Arugula
  • Leftover Grilled Veggie Sandwich fillings from lunch, chopped
  • Sun Dried Tomato in oil
  • Carrots
  • Frozen string beans and corn
  • Balsamic Vinaigrette + squeeze of lemon
  • Crumbled Boca Burger

Polished off Abe’s remnants as well

Dessert – peeled, split, ‘n’ shared

We’ve been watching a few New Orleans movies in preparation for our trip. Rainy nights are good for one thing – black and white movies!!!

STELLAAAAAA

Westside Tavern on Urbanspoon

1 Becki @ Hike, Bike, Eat December 20, 2010 at 9:51 am

Aaaah that sandwich looks incredible! Grilled veggie panini are my current obsession. I can’t get enough!

2 Liz @ Tip Top Shape December 20, 2010 at 10:06 am

Ooh, I LOVE Streetcar!! Vivien Leigh is my favorite actress and she is never better than in that movie. Even beats out Gone With The Wind, in my opinion.

3 KeepItSweet December 20, 2010 at 10:09 am

i love grilled veggie sandwiches with goat cheese! love how that one is piled with the veggies.

4 vanillasugarblog December 20, 2010 at 10:17 am

OMG girl those cookies. you could just post that one pic of the cookies and all would be right in the world.

5 Lauren December 20, 2010 at 10:18 am

What a fantastic brunch. Now I’m totally craving Clam Chowder!

6 Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) December 20, 2010 at 11:14 am

I was going to start with how great the sandwich looked, but things just got better from there! The pudding definitely was the perfect way to end that meal!

7 Melissa @ TryingToHeal December 20, 2010 at 12:42 pm

oh i feel you on the rain…i can’t go anywhere because so many roads are closed; arg!

8 Shanna, like Banana December 20, 2010 at 12:46 pm

I’m loving the rain! It makes me feel less guilty when I stay inside all day and bake (and work) and cook ;)

9 Cindy December 20, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Love Abe’s sense of humor!

Lunch with goat cheese AND bacon AND banana pudding? Heaven. Pure Heaven.

10 emily (a nutritionist eats) December 20, 2010 at 1:41 pm

I’ll trade you rain for snow? :)
I like rain, but that does look like a bit much!

11 lequan December 20, 2010 at 2:55 pm

Omg EVERYTHING you guys had for brunch looks absolutely delicious. Those crab cakes are screaming my name. I must try this place when I visit LA. Yummerz!!!

12 Erica December 20, 2010 at 3:37 pm

Brunch is ALWAYS worth braving the weather :) And boy does it all look yummy. I think Abe wins for the tastiest looking dish…but the dessert comes in a close second :)

13 Elaine December 20, 2010 at 4:56 pm

So glad you enjoyed the vegetable paninni too :-) I live nearby so I go there often, their chicken soup and lamb sandwich au jus are amazing also!

14 Pure2raw twins December 20, 2010 at 5:47 pm

oh wow, I want a bite of everything!!

ya the weather here has not been nice…no FL sunshine :(

15 Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) December 21, 2010 at 12:02 am

STELLLLLLAAAAA! Last year we organized a Movie Club (like a book club for movies) for our family and chose Streetcar and brought white wifebeaters and made everyone wear them. I put it on the blog. It was hilarious. LOVE that movie.

That photo of abe outside cracked me up… at first I thought it was a little speck of bird poo on the window!

Glad you’re enjoying the beach house!

16 bakariinstitute.org December 25, 2010 at 10:19 pm

In http://bakariinstitute.org site, will be informed about some factors that affect one’s physical fitness among other things, age. According to research, children physical Fitness increases until it reaches a maximum at age 25-30 years, then going to a decline in functional capacity of the entire body of approximately of 0.8 – 1% per year, but for children who are diligent in exercising decline This can be reduced to half.