Paper or Plastik?

December 8, 2010

in bakeries/cafes/dessert places, salads

Abe and I needed a place to get some work done for the hour between brunch at Native Foods and my shrinky dink. We stopped at a cafe that we’ve never noticed before – on Pico, near Fairfax.

Paper or Plastik has a beautiful space with good coffee (<—says Abe)…

…and a lot of laptop customers:

We were still full from vegan desserts, but how good do their sweets look?!?

Abe went to a friend’s comedy show; I had to wait at home to find out my call time for a movie shoot I’m doing today.  Didn’t have an appetite until 8:30 pm - Mo’s leftovers all to myself:

Bulked up with the addition of arugula and spring mix

I can eat a soggy salad, but not a mushy apple. This one was nice n crunchy

I don’t have to report to set until noon in Alhambra! Any must-tries in the area?

______________

Check out the interview I did for 8Asians.com!

Paper or Plastik Cafe on Urbanspoon

1 Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) December 8, 2010 at 9:33 am

I wish I had some good leftovers for tonight! I am with you…NO mushy apples!

2 Anna December 8, 2010 at 10:00 am

That lattice-topped pie looks amazing!!

3 Liz @ Tip Top Shape December 8, 2010 at 10:10 am

My friends always make fun of me- but I love mushy apples. I actually don’t like them if they are too crisp. I know…it’s weird. lol

4 Pure2raw twins December 8, 2010 at 10:24 am

Cafe looks cute, love the name of it!

Have a good day at your movie set : )

~Michelle

5 Roxan December 8, 2010 at 10:30 am

I don’t like soggy apples either. Have you tried honeycrisp apples? They are my absolute favorite and I’ve already gone through dozens of them in the past couple month.

6 Lynn at The Actors Diet December 8, 2010 at 11:20 pm

i do love honeycrisps. i even just love the name of them!

7 Monet December 8, 2010 at 11:01 am

That cafe/restaurant looked like where I want/need to spend my afternoon. I am always excited to try new vegan desserts too! Thank you for sharing. I hope you have a lovely afternoon, my friend!

8 Ren Ren December 8, 2010 at 11:18 am

Perfectly Sweet on Main St. near Garfield Blvd – I like their tres leches cake. They sell to Whole Foods in Pasadena too.

Half and Half Tea House in Monterey Park. It is off of Atlantic Blvd., across the street from the 99 Ranch Market. Their milk teas are really good.

Have you tried the Hainan chicken from Savoy? It’s the best one outside of Singapore. It’s on Valley Blvd., and I think the cross steet is Chapel.

Have fun in Alhambra.

9 Julienne December 8, 2010 at 12:08 pm

In-N-Out (cheeseburger animal-style), if you’ve had it before, on the corner of Garfield Ave. and Huntington Dr.

10 Jos December 8, 2010 at 12:46 pm

Tasty Garden (on Valley and Garfield) I think? Their HK style waffle is good!! I think I blogged about it before here: http://delightfultastebuds.wordpress.com/2010/09/26/some-progress-or-still-too-early-to-judge/

11 coffeeandthepaper December 8, 2010 at 1:01 pm

That place looks gorgeous. I love the ceiling!

And soggy apples suck!

12 biz319 December 8, 2010 at 1:09 pm

I love cafes like that – just don’t have them in my neck of the woods anymore being 50 miles nw of Chicago. But, I have a shorter commute which is better!

13 Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather December 8, 2010 at 1:23 pm

Mushy apples are the worst! I need crunch all the time.

14 lowandbhold December 8, 2010 at 3:52 pm

Cute name for a cafe. Your blog really makes me want to travel to CA soon! So much fresh produce.

15 emily December 8, 2010 at 5:04 pm

You always find the cutest cafes! All the baked goodies look awesome. I especially appreciate those scones…deeelish. :)

16 wendy lee December 8, 2010 at 5:05 pm

My very favorite crisp and crunchy apple is a Stayman Winesap at the height of its season. Mmmmm.

17 erin December 8, 2010 at 5:52 pm

Fosselman’s Ice Cream in Alhambra – some of the best homemade ice cream ever. I like to get a sundae with fresh whipped cream and nuts but the ice cream is amazing alone too. It’s one of my favorites and I always make a point of swinging by when I’m back in LA…

18 squigglefloey December 9, 2010 at 3:19 am

oh yes! fosselman’s is SO good! great suggestion

19 leftcoastcontessa December 8, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Looks like an awesome study spot!

20 squigglefloey December 9, 2010 at 3:18 am

Oh! You’re coming to Alhambra? Try Lovebirds Cafe and Bakery — wonderful! Vegetarian options too, everything is SO fresh :)

21 Gail December 9, 2010 at 8:50 pm

I just read your interview with8Asians.com. It was excellent, and so open. I am most impressed.

22 Rick Charles June 27, 2012 at 11:43 am

Café looks awesome; yesterday I have been to Charles B Wang center in New York. It is an Asian Restaurant. I enjoyed dinner there. The whole building looks great. They have gift shop too where they use recycled items to make unique gifts. To know more click here- http://www.stonybrook.edu/commcms/wang.