Sante La Brea

November 11, 2010

in dessert, restaurant, soup/stew, trader joe's, vegetarian

I was on my own Wednesday – Abe went to Vegas to shoot “The Man’s Guide to Love.”

Started off with a long walk and simple breakfast bowl:

Nonfat organic cottage cheese (about a cup), Frozen Blueberries, Coconut Peanut Butter – definitely missing something – CRUNCH!

A little handful of Honey Almond Uncle Sam did the trick. Then, ginger chew + Hummingbird’s Delight tea

A late lunch date at Sante Le Brea

…with fellow food blogger Claire (welcome to LA!)

We ordered the same thing – Sante Le Brea’s menu is one of the most omnivorous and customizable ones I’ve ever seen

1/2 a Tempeh BLT…

…on multigrain instead of sourdough…

…pressed panini-style, with a side salad + vinaigrette

Dessert was waiter-recommended – their Jack-O-Lantern Vanilla Cake

Gorgeous, non?

Once the photos were snapped, it got ugly!

I totally devoured my half. It was yummy and pumpkin-y – a little on the dry side, though.

Wednesday nights are chorus rehearsal, but about an hour into it I felt really nauseous (my meds are still affecting me) so I went home early. All I wanted was soup. This was the best I could do:

I’ve had this packet of Instant Miso Soup sitting in my cupboard for so long I don’t even know if Trader Joe’s makes it anymore! While I ding donged some Haricots Verts and Frozen Chicken, I boiled some water, stirred to combine…

Voila.

A Milk Chocolate Chip Attune Bar from the Foodbuzz Swag Bag

Before bed:

Could my dog be any cuter?!

Sante la Brea on Urbanspoon

1 CinZilicious November 11, 2010 at 2:25 am

omg, i love this post! Your breakie looks yumm (i love blueberries, you see), and the simple looking sandwich along with the fresh veggies look yumm too!!! Looks like u had a great day with great food!:D

Cinz

2 saltytooth November 11, 2010 at 5:58 am

Yum, I think you may have inspired by breakfast this morning! Hope you are feeling better.

3 Anna November 11, 2010 at 6:14 am

Wow, so many great vegan options on that menu! Fun that you got to meet up with Claire!

4 Hollie @ Lolzthatswim(andRun) November 11, 2010 at 6:42 am

That cake looks so yummy. You are better than me-with dessert involved it’s so hard for me to even wait and take pictures ha.

5 Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) November 11, 2010 at 7:22 am

Julius is super cute! The oats look perfect and ya gotta have crunch on there!

6 Danielle @ myfoodideas November 11, 2010 at 7:46 am

A day filled with all kinds of yummy food! That sandwich looks SO good, now i want a blt lol….. & Julius does look adorable, as always.

7 Vicky @ eat live spin November 11, 2010 at 9:39 am

Did you know that the restaurant you went to was on a show!? It was on Gordon Ramsay’s “Kitchen Nightmares “on FOX… before that restaurant was a MESS! Gordon Ramsay came in, redecorated and changed the menu! Apparently he did a great job!

8 Astrid November 11, 2010 at 9:40 am

That restaurant and cake look fantastic, by the way. I am also a huge fan of Ginger People candies. I haven’t had them in a while, though, so I need to get on that and buy myself a pack. Do you have a favorite flavor?

9 Lynn at The Actors Diet November 11, 2010 at 7:33 pm

the only flavor i haven’t tried is the coffee. my husband’s fave is the peanut one – the apple and original have some kick, which i like!

10 lowandbhold November 11, 2010 at 9:58 am

Sorry about the nausea :( And no, your dog couldn’t be any cute!

11 suki @ [Super Duper Fantastic] November 11, 2010 at 10:04 am

Soup seems to cure everything! When I wasn’t feeling so great the other night, we went out for pho. It just soothes the soul and warms up all the parts that need warming. Hope you’re feeling better. Crazy meds.

12 Roxan November 11, 2010 at 10:15 am

YUM! I’ll definitely have to check out sante la brea. The sandwich looks like it would rip up the top of my mouth though. Sometimes when that happens i have to just rip off little pieces of the sandwich and eat it like that. I know, I’m such a baby.

13 lequan November 11, 2010 at 10:45 am

hope you’re feeling better today, Lynn. Julius has mommy’s photogenic genes ;-)

14 DiningAndDishing November 11, 2010 at 10:58 am

That is one very pretty slice of cake!! I love cake – but only when it’s super moist. That’s key!

- Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

15 Sana November 11, 2010 at 11:21 am

I never thought about this until I read your post, but I enjoy food with texture. I always add a bit of a crunch to all of my meals!

16 emily November 11, 2010 at 11:50 am

Love the decor at Sante Le Brea..so cute! The food looks great, too…especially that dessert. :)
Hope you feel better soon!

17 biz319 November 11, 2010 at 12:43 pm

I love the setting of that restaurant with the long benches and pillows!

Hope the soup and a good nights sleep did the trick and you are feeling better today! :D

18 edenseats November 11, 2010 at 12:47 pm

O I’m seeing claire today! I think you make a fabulous LA spokesperson lynn! are you coming to the sanrio 50th anniversary in santa monica this saturday?!

19 Lynn at The Actors Diet November 11, 2010 at 7:32 pm

isn’t claire lovely?! i had no idea about the sanrio anniversary – so cool! i have plans already, though, so i won’t be coming :(

20 Shanna, like Banana November 11, 2010 at 1:24 pm

I’d totally take on that vanilla cake. I actually think vanilla is tastier than chocolate (gasp!).

21 leftcoastcontessa November 11, 2010 at 1:30 pm

I love those ginger candies! I eat them all the time. That cake looks totally epic.

22 sarahnotsoplainandtall November 11, 2010 at 1:52 pm

I love Hensen’s Diet Rootbeer…but Im trying to cut back on artificial sweeteners, so Ive been sticking to seltzer water! So funny you use coconut peanutbutter, my friend just brought some back from Hawaii!! Although I usually dont have peanut butter, I couldnt resist a taste! MAN THAT STUFF IS GOOD (especially on a banana!)

xx
@healthymodel

23 MarathonVal November 11, 2010 at 3:48 pm

I love how in CA, omnivores can go to a vegan restaurant and it’s normal. Here, omnivores (like my hubby and friends and family, haha) CAN go to a vegan restaurant but they think it’s so off the wall and weird and eccentric that they whine the whole time…

24 carascravings November 11, 2010 at 5:09 pm

That restaurant looks great!
Cute atmosphere and yummy sandwiches, what could be better?

25 Monet November 11, 2010 at 10:34 pm

I just told Ryan about how amazing your blog is…and we both drooled over your meal. What a great day…and that cake looks SPECTACULAR. I want to recreated it. Thank you for sharing…I hope your Friday is delightful!

26 Lynn at The Actors Diet November 11, 2010 at 11:46 pm

aw, thanks! PLEASE recreate that cake – and make it nice and moist!!!

27 Pure2raw twins November 12, 2010 at 8:04 am

aww I wanted to meet Claire, sad she could not come to Foodbuzz. What a fun lunch, and I would of killed that dessert too ; )
~
Michelle

28 VANILLA COFFEE December 10, 2010 at 1:31 am

I have been checking out many of your stories and i can state pretty clever stuff. I will make sure to bookmark your website