Cream Colored Ponies

October 29, 2010

in dinner, trader joe's

♬♬♬ And crisp apple mushy blueberry strudel  ♬♬♬

P1280452.JPG

Thursday’s afternoon snack – leftover Bouchon pastry – was still amazing. Even after being unearthed from the freezer and ding donged!

Consumed with some sugar snap peas:

P1280448.JPG

Used one of my favorite things for dinner – my Tofu Press:

Remember when I said freezing tofu whole will change its texture? Pressing it first makes it super easy to cut into cubes too:

I didn’t really know where I was going with this recipe last night – I knew I wanted to incorporate one of the specialty beers we recently acquired -

A friend of ours got some amazing deals on mixed cases of fancy schmancy booze so Abe bought a few for cheap. I don’t drink alcohol, but I will eat it, so I used a little of the Orange Blossom Cream Ale to deglaze some zucchini sauteed in Coconut Oil:

To the pot I added the tofu, a palmful of each of these spices…

…and a can of Trader Joe’s tomato sauce.

While that simmered away, there was a small organic spaghetti squash roasting in the oven.

Each half got shredded into strands and tossed with a little parm and Coconut Manna

Then topped with the “chili” sauce, which we have plenty of leftover – probably not a good idea to refreeze tofu that’s been frozen already, but I’m doing it anyway!

Super filling and delicious. Abe was raving about this dish (the rest of the beer he drank, however, not so much).

I’ve been waiting for this Oprah episode all week!!!

“The Sound of Music” reunion

You could say I’ve had a lifelong obsession with this musical…

…when we were kids, my cousin Hannah and I pretended we were the stars…

…eventually, I got to play “Maria” my senior year of high school!

A taste of Vegan English Toffee, in honor of Dame Julie Andrews – who I actually met at my cousin’s wedding a few years ago!!!

Have you ever met one of your role models? I have not only been introduced to, but become pretty friendly with a number of folks I grew up idolizing. It’s pretty awesome, but ultimately, ya gotta remember – we’re all just people! Still, when I stop and think about it, I recognize how fortunate and lucky I am, and am very grateful to be living my dreams, even though it can be really hard. I simply remember the opportunities I have had, that it’s difficult for everyone, take inspiration from that…

♬♬♬ …and then I don’t feeeeeel so baaaaad! ♬♬♬

1 Anna October 29, 2010 at 10:05 am

Ahhhh, I SO love the Sound of Music. I listen to “I Have Confidence” on my runs :-)

Orange Blossom Cream Ale? Yummmm!

2 Estela @ Weekly Bite October 29, 2010 at 10:06 am

I love the Sound of Music!!! Such a great movie!

3 Ameena October 29, 2010 at 10:17 am

Julie Andrews used to be my neighbor! I love her and The Sound of Music. I can’t wait to show it to Maya but I have to upgrade from my VHS copy to a DVD!

4 Lynn at The Actors Diet October 30, 2010 at 12:10 am

did you ever see her dogs?! we got julius from the same breeder!!!

5 Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) October 29, 2010 at 10:45 am

I wish I would have seen that episode! I haven’t met one of my role models yet, but you definitely got me thinking about who that would be…

6 emily October 29, 2010 at 11:04 am

the sound of music is so fun! i was in it a couple years ago as a nun. :)

7 liz October 29, 2010 at 11:13 am

“i dont drink alcohol but I will eat it” —hahaha i love it! you are awesome.

8 Roxan October 29, 2010 at 11:20 am

LOL me, my siblings and cousins used to LOVE the sound of music. My dad even got us the sound of music soundtrack. Every year when we would get together for New Years day, we would watch that along with the wizard of oz. Hahaha… thanks for bringing back these memories!

9 Mimi October 29, 2010 at 11:36 am

Teehee, I used to ALWAYS watch sound of music with my mom.

I’m the same way about alcohol, actually. I don’t drink it but I’ll cook with it.

Oh, neat thing about spaghetti squash I only recently discovered–if you want it REALLY long and spaghetti-like, cut it across the narrow half, not the long half, for two circle-halves instead of ovals. Muuuuch longer.

10 It All Changes October 29, 2010 at 12:23 pm

I can’t believe you met Dame Julie Andrews. I LOVE HER!!!! I watched The Princess Diaries just because she was in it (turns out I liked the movie too :-) ).

11 Cassie October 29, 2010 at 12:30 pm

gah! you’re so lucky you got to play Maria and meet Julie Andrews!! I love the Sound of Music and could probably sing every single song by memory; it’s so gooood!

12 theexperfectionist October 29, 2010 at 12:36 pm

My coworker made me come over to her house for a Sound of Music night. She thought it was un-American that I had never seen it. She at least fed me pieroges and sausage. :D

13 lowandbhold October 29, 2010 at 12:36 pm

That tofu dish looks amazing! I love cooking with beer.

14 Jordana October 29, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Orange blossom beer sounds interesting! Hehe I saw your marijuana spoof ad on FunnyOrDie – hilarious!

15 Vicky (eat live spin) October 29, 2010 at 1:21 pm

After reading your post and seeing all of your yummy food I realized I am hungry!

I really like Dr. Oz. My mom works in the women’s health field so I got to talk to him a few times.

16 DiningAndDishing October 29, 2010 at 1:34 pm

Have you ever been on the Sound of Music tour in Austria? If not you MUST go!! I don’t even like the movie THAT much (although I do think it’s cute!) but I loved loved loved the tour. Doesn’t get much more beautiful than that!

- Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

17 Lynn at The Actors Diet October 30, 2010 at 12:11 am

oooh if i’m ever in austria – that’ll be a MUST!

18 Amber's Notebook October 29, 2010 at 2:01 pm

ogm I love the sounds of music!! I can’t believe you met her!!

19 Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) October 29, 2010 at 2:21 pm

It’s ok that you like the Sound of Music. I like Phantom :-)

The tofu press might be the only gadget I don’t have! Derek will kick me out of the house if I get another gadget that I don’t use! :-)

20 Katie October 29, 2010 at 2:37 pm

Aaah I missed this Oprah….when I was about 11, I did Oklahoma with Angela Cartwright’s son (she was Brigitta I think?). I was Laurey and he was Curly. Had a huge crush on him. We reconnected a couple years back and had a little fling…hehe. Anyway, she is SUPER sweet, and is actually a fantastic painter now!!
I have seen Les Mis 10 times professionally and then 2 more when friends were in it. Was OBSESSED with the 3rd natn’l touring co of it (that’s why my email is what it is…yes I was a nerd in 8th grade, and still am now)…and the first time I saw it, there was this girl playing Eponine who I instantly connected with. She became my role model and I met her a few months later at the La Jolla Playhouse….long long story for the next time we hang out (hehe), but that girl was Sutton Foster, and we have been friends now for some time. She is still my role model, and it is crazy to think she was my age when i first saw her in LM….actually, the last time I saw the show was when SHE took me to see the revival in ny. She is such an amazing person and I feel truly grateful to have her in my life! And then my other role model is one of my best friends. I tend to pick people to aspire to be like/admire in whom I see a lot of myself…and who I feel connected to and able to reach out to. To idolize someone from a far distance kinda makes them and their achievements untouchable, for me at least…and creates kinda a disconnect (again, for me)…having my role models/idols/mentors somewhat close at hand makes my goals feel attainable! :)
(sorry for the freakin long comment…and i’m running out of battery so i can’t reread it! ahh!)

21 lequan October 29, 2010 at 4:03 pm

Ok, I’m going to sound super dorky right now, but I wanna meet YOU! I’ll shut up now (blush).

22 Julienne October 29, 2010 at 6:01 pm

Yes, I have met one of my role models — I’ve met you! :) But you probably don’t remember me. I got your autograph at the “Saving Face” premier and saw you again a the AsianAm awards a few yrs back, and recently at Macy’s in OC. ;) Hope you visit HNL sometime.

23 sad October 29, 2010 at 8:11 pm

good article thanks!!!

24 Healthy Coconut October 30, 2010 at 12:29 pm

I don’t have DVR and I missed the episode of Oprah, hope they have videos of clips online for it. I love Sound of Music. For my music class in elementary, we did a whole tribute to it.

I clicked on the link for the Funny or Die site, how do I vote for it or click funny? Didn’t see the option, but then I don’t have an account.

Meeting my role models? Unfortunately, not yet :(