Near Death Experiences

October 25, 2010

in restaurant, salads, vegan

I don’t know if I overslept (11 hours), overate the last couple days, or am still feeling medication side effects, but I woke up this morning feeling like death!!!

Still, I took a walk so that I wasn’t lying in bed all morning long…

P1280181.JPG

…and nearly got hit on the head (3x!!!) by falling palm fronds!!!

Then, while parking in Westwood, I drove through a SWARM OF BEES. Luckily I realized what they were just in time to roll up my windows. *Whew* (I’m VERY allergic to stings).

Apparently, nothing could keep me from lunch with some blog buddies!!!

P1280195.JPG

While in San Diego I missed a Los Angeles health blogger meetup so I was grateful to have a mini one with Deb, Ameena, and Katie!

We ate at Native Foods, a great vegan chain that I haven’t been to in years. I’m sure there are some great BVSLA possibilities here, but sadly, I was feeling too ill to stomach anything other than a cup of Nuevo Native Chili.  It was still a pretty generous size for $4.

P1280191.JPG

“A custom blend of white beans and Native Chili Meat simmered with tomatoes and special spices. Topped with Native Cheese and diced red onions, with a hunk of homemade cornbread.”

Super good. I spiced it up a bit.

P1280202.JPG

Ameena and Deb also shared their salads with us – the Ensalada Azteca and Rockin’ Moroccan Bowl were delicious.

P1280208.JPG

They also brought gifts! Deb gave us each a hot water bottle and vanity bag from her husband’s company MaCher

P1280190.JPG

…and Ameena hooked me up with some extra pantry faves, including one of the new Larabar flavors I’ve been looking everywhere for!!!

P1280211.JPG

I opened it right away while driving back – I’d say it tastes more like a spice cake than a carrot one, but it was still yummy!

P1280214.JPG

I’m home now, safe and sound, but still feel like crap.

Very grateful to be alive, though!!! ;)

Native Foods on Urbanspoon

1 twobooswhoeat October 25, 2010 at 5:21 pm

Aw fun blog meet-up! I saw Ameena, Deb and Katie on Saturday. Missed you though!

We have to plan another meet up soon!

2 Lin October 25, 2010 at 5:27 pm

i’m always fearful of getting hit in the head with stuff! hope you feel better! i’m also eager to try the carrot cake lara bar, gotta look for it at TJ’s

3 lpskins October 25, 2010 at 5:28 pm

feel better!!

4 Jacky October 25, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Glad you avoided all that and made it safely through the day! I woke up feeling like death today also (too much fun this weekend) so I worked at home. Snuck in watching The People I’ve Slept With, DVR’d it over the weekend. Really enjoyed it and you in it!

5 Lynn at The Actors Diet October 25, 2010 at 7:56 pm

aw, thanks for watching it, jacky! i don’t have LOGO so i have no idea how much of it wound up getting cut!

6 Shanna, like Banana October 25, 2010 at 5:42 pm

This is not your day to venture out in the world. I vote hiding under the covers, preferably with snacks and a good trashy magazine/book, and waiting for a new days to arrive!

7 Simply Life October 25, 2010 at 5:50 pm

I hope you’re feeling better soon!

8 Tasha October 25, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Aw, next time your’e in SD, please have a San Diego Blog Reader meet up =)

9 Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) October 25, 2010 at 6:08 pm

Oh no, feel better soon!

10 Deb (SmoothieGirlEatsToo) October 25, 2010 at 6:09 pm

Super fun to meet you AT LONG LAST! It was a fun and super yummy lunch! Glad you liked the goodies- enjoy! And feel better!!

11 lequan October 25, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Yikes! What a scary day for you. Glad you made it home safely. Hope you feel better soon, dear.

I ADORE Ameena!!!

12 Dessert Darling October 25, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Awwe :( Feel Better Lynn!!! xoxoox

13 v October 25, 2010 at 7:13 pm

you should try the scorpion burger! it is amazing =]

14 quinn October 25, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Hope you feel better soon! Maybe the hot water bottle will help? I’ve become addicted to mine for soothing occasional aches, pains, and general malaise – it’s a very comforting kind of warmth. And yours has a nice cover, too…mine just gets wrapped in a pillow case, which doesn’t hold the heat in very long.
I hope you wake up feeling revitalized tomorrow!

15 Erica October 25, 2010 at 7:18 pm

oh jeepers girl! I hope you’re feeling much better now! What a fun meet up. The chili looks fabulous. And all those goodies- I am jealous ;)

16 Tamara October 25, 2010 at 7:31 pm

The other day I was waiting at a cross-walk pretty late at night. There were no cars in sight, and I could have jay-walked across, but I made myself wait for the “Walk” light just in case. As I was stepping into the road I thought, “Man, it would suck if I was hit by a car after being good and waiting five minutes for the light.” As I reached the end of this thought, I heard a roaring from behind and stumbled backwards just in time for a person turning left (gabbing on their cell phone) to zoom two feet in front of me.

With bees, palms and text messaging, it’s a wonder so many of us are still alive.

17 Lynn at The Actors Diet October 25, 2010 at 7:57 pm

eeek freaky! glad you’re okay!

18 Erin October 25, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Cholula – a definite must have!

I hate waking up in a bad mood. It happens fairly often. But it’s good that you got out for a walk… often times that instantly perks me up.

19 MarathonVal October 25, 2010 at 8:01 pm

Awww, hope you feel better soon Lynn. I don’t know how heavy palm fronds are but when my husband and I just barely missed (by like an inch!) being hit by a falling coconut in Puerto Rico a few months ago we were pretty scared….it could have caused some major damage.

Go rest up! :)

20 Julie Grob October 25, 2010 at 8:04 pm

Be careful out there, girl!

21 Kim October 25, 2010 at 8:43 pm

Sounds like a fun blogger meetup :) I like Native Foods :) Keep dodging those palm fronds!

22 glidingcalm October 26, 2010 at 4:44 am

glad you were safe from ze beeeeeeeeeeeeeees!

that chili looks like something i want right nowwwwwwwwww. i hate the cold!!!

23 lowandbhold October 26, 2010 at 7:07 am

I’m sorry you’re not feeling well. I think it’s that time of year where everything is going around and it’s impossible to feel 100%. I hope it clears up soon!

24 anne marie@new weigh of life October 26, 2010 at 7:35 am

glad you are ok! looks like a fun blogger meet up!

25 biz319 October 26, 2010 at 8:18 am

Ick – sorry you feel so bad – hope today is better for you – love the packet of hot sauce! :D

26 ButtersandRoses October 26, 2010 at 1:36 pm

Thanks for stopping by my blog! I hope you feel better!!!

27 Healthy Coconut October 26, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Whoa, what a day huh? I think that’s a sign to stay in and relax and watch a DVD marathon :)

A new Native Food just opened up near my work, but haven’t had a chance to check it out. The chili looks good this week since its raining :(

Awesome blogger meet-up. Hope I get a chance to meet u soon or at Foodbuzz next week.