Dinner at the Bungalow

October 25, 2010

in dinner, restaurant, salads

We got our little monster back yesterday, and caught up on Sunday rituals…

P1280123.JPG

…then we met Julius’ sitters, Sandy and Kayla, at Larchmont Bungalow. This was our first time having dinner there, and I spoke with the owner Ken about menu suggestions. Brought a Living Social coupon with me too, for 1/2 off.

Ken was incredibly generous and comped the balance of our orders, which definitely exceeded the $30 Living Social deal.

Kayla’s Tuna Melt with Bocconcini Caprese Salad ($12.95)

P1280130.JPG

Sandy’s Pork Chop with spinach crepe, veggies and crispy brown rice ($16.95)

P1280154.JPG

Abe’s Sante Fe Quesadilla (ordered without chicken) which had eggs, roasted bell peppers, caramelized onions, cheddar/jack, and avocado ($11.95)

P1280135.JPG

My entree (at Ken’s suggestion) was the Sea Bass – marinated in miso, served with avocado rice and a mango/papaya/cucumber salad ($17.95)

P1280139.JPG

The dish had an Asian fusion theme going – the fish was sweet n sour and the carbs reminded me of a veggie filled fried rice (without the egg). I ate everything, but saved the avocado for later.

P1280141.JPG

As usual, Ken threw in a few freebies for us to try as well!!!

Scallop and Shrimp Salad – Romaine, Dill, Parsley, Cilantro, Basil, Enoki Mushrooms tossed in a light miso dressing. Topped with crispy potatoes. ($13.95)

P1280150.JPG

Lobster Cobb Salad – Lobster, bacon, avocado, bleu cheese, and tomato on romaine/mixed greens with balsamic vinaigrette. ($14.95)

P1280158.JPG

I sampled each salad – twice! They were both solid.

P1280164.JPG

Everyone enjoyed their meal very much – I tried a bite of Abe’s quesadilla and definitely want to get that with the chicken next time.

The Bungalow is so cozy at night! I snapped a (blurry) pic before we left:

P1280127.JPG

Thanks again, Ken!!!

1 Becki @ Hike, Bike, Eat October 25, 2010 at 9:55 am

I love all the cute little restaurants on Larchmont! I saw your instant oatmeal bread on FitSugar! Very cool!

2 Anna October 25, 2010 at 10:00 am

Okay, THAT looks like an awesome meal! I love how much avocado they give you with the rice!

3 Jenna October 25, 2010 at 10:08 am

Seriously lady, you are always eating the most appealing meals! Maybe I need to take a trip out to CA to go on an eating adventure.

4 lequan October 25, 2010 at 11:14 am

Wow, everything looks so good, decently sized, and prices weren’t bad either! Sounds like a great place! I know which blog to hit up if I’m ever looking for a great place to eat in LA.

5 Sues October 25, 2010 at 2:36 pm

All that food looks amazing!! I’m suddenly starving for a tuna melt, lobster, quesadillas, and sea bass :) The avocado on your dish is SO pretty! :)

6 Lin October 25, 2010 at 3:25 pm

What a cute restaurant! I love the decor!

7 wendy lee October 25, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Wow,you’ve gotta love Ken!! Anyway, everything looked as beautiful as you say it tasted. Gorgeous presentation.

8 Mimi October 25, 2010 at 4:24 pm

That lobster cob looks SICK! In a good way, of course. Actually, wow, I want to go there.

Actually, can you give me a few recommendations for restaurants not a suuuuuuuuuuper long way from USC, but drivable? I now have roommate with a car and she loves to eat out. I love all cuisine! I’d be so grateful for any suggestions!

9 Lynn at The Actors Diet October 25, 2010 at 4:59 pm

yes! check out my l.a. area eats page for restaurant reviews: http://theactorsdiet.wordpress.com/l-a-area-eats/

though there are so many places downtown i’ve heard about that i’ve yet to try – lazy ox canteen, drago centro, and phillipe’s are at the top of my list.

10 Lauren October 25, 2010 at 5:36 pm

What a great place and I love the name!!!

11 Erin October 26, 2010 at 6:34 am

I have visited Larchmont Bungalow several times in the past couple of months – it’s one of my favorite brunch spots. Their Red Velvet Pancakes are deeeeelish, but I don’t know how anybody could eat the entire plate as a meal as they’re so rich. The prices are a bit steep, but the location and atmosphere just cannot be beat! I wish I had scooped up the Living Social deals like you. ;)