It’s Never Too Early For Gingerbread

October 12, 2010

in appetizers

It’s not even Halloween and I’ve already got Christmas on the brain!

P1270073.JPG

I was hosting a meeting last night so I baked a few cookies for the gang. This mix has been waiting patiently in my pantry since January.

P1270077.JPG

I didn’t have any lemon extract or the optional 2 TB of molasses – which is probably why these turned out tasting NOTHING like gingerbread?

Did an experiment – half of them I baked with the dough pressed down before going into the oven…

P1270087.JPG

…the other half I left in ball form…

P1270082.JPG

…using the fork for the last 2 minutes of cooking – this produced a perfectly chewy cookie (while the others were crisp and slightly burnt).

P1270093.JPG

While the oven was on, I also went a little nuts -

P1270101.JPG

Cumin Spiced Nuts

Combine everything in a single layer on a baking dish and put in a 300 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, shaking once halfway through.

I taste-tested a few while they were cooking – really, really good. I know roasted nuts are linked to health risks but they are infinitely yummier than raw ones.

Before everyone arrived I finished up the leftover Breakfast Panini and Fruit from the Larchmont Bungalow brunch.

P1270105.JPG

Weirdly enough, this sandwich tasted better cold and slightly soggy the next day?!

Two cookies for dessert – one chewy, one crispy.

P1270109.JPG

Meeting Munchies – I snacked on a few small handfuls of nuts over the course of the evening.

P1270112.JPG

White on Rice” is now on DVD!!! For those of you who are new to the blog, this is a movie I star in that was in theaters last year. It’s just been released to buy today, available on Netflix October 19th (though you can add it to your queue now!) – if you’ve already seen it and liked it, we’d appreciate a nice review on either site so others can find it too!!!

1 Cindy October 12, 2010 at 10:03 am

Personally, I think gingerbread cookies should be year round!

Interesting that the molasses was optional. That is such a key ingredient for gingerbread cookies. I have a great from scratch recipe if you want it. Let me know and I’ll send it your way.

2 jenna October 12, 2010 at 10:07 am

oh my those gingerbread cookies look fab!!! :) how cozy!!

3 DessertDarling October 12, 2010 at 10:15 am

Yummers! Though, I have to say, the gingerbread cookies look like PB cookies to me! I’m sure they were utterly delicious no matter. You should really try baking some of the goodies from Bethenny Frankel’s book “The Skinnygirl Dish”… it’s amazing how the Raw Sugar and Oat flour really work!

4 Amber's Notebook October 12, 2010 at 10:23 am

YUMMY! I love gingerbread!

5 Jacky October 12, 2010 at 10:31 am

Fun, added “White on Rice” to my Netflix queue!

6 Estela @ Weekly Bite October 12, 2010 at 10:50 am

Ginger cookies are a favorite of mine :)

I’m loving those spiced nuts too!

7 KeepItSweet October 12, 2010 at 11:03 am

the nuts and cookies look so good right now!

8 Shanna, like Banana October 12, 2010 at 11:11 am

Love love love gingerbread but find it’s difficult to get just the right recipe..where did you get the mix?

9 Lynn at The Actors Diet October 12, 2010 at 4:38 pm

it was like $2 at bed bath and beyond right after x-mas!

10 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) October 12, 2010 at 11:19 am

Gingerbread still says holidays to me so I think you are ok jumping the gun on that! The cookies sound perfectly delicious!

11 biz319 October 12, 2010 at 11:31 am

Since seeing White on Rice on demand a few months ago, I’ve recommended it to my friends – my husband and I loved it! You did a great job! :D

12 Emily (A Nutritionist Eats) October 12, 2010 at 11:35 am

Can’t wait to see the movie!! I’ll get it on the que!

13 Amy @ Second City Randomness October 12, 2010 at 11:56 am

I would have been all over the chewy cookies- not much for crunchy sweets…

And I do love that you’ve completely skipped over Halloween and Thanksgiving! I’m still adjusting to the fact that it’s fall… lol

14 wyn October 12, 2010 at 1:04 pm

I think gingerbread, like chai latte my beverage of choice, can be enjoyed all year! Even if I don’t explicitly remember the following explanation, it subconsciously brings me warm, cozy Christmas/winter season memories. I don’t mind having that feeling at all all year round.

That White on Rice is out on DVD reminded me of seeing it around this time last year at the Vancouver Asian Film Festival. In fact, it was a bit of a Lynn Chen weekend because I saw White on Rice on Friday and then The People I’ve Slept With on Sunday. My boyfriend really enjoyed the former while I preferred the latter movie. Different tastes!

15 ChezJulie October 12, 2010 at 1:40 pm

Gingerbread… yum. I love those Gingerbread Lattes from Starbuck’s too.

Oh it would be fun to see The Actor’s Diet Actor’s Movie!

16 wendy lee October 12, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Back in the 50′s I think, there was a popular song called “Gingerbread, Gingerbread” and the lyrics went “She’s full of sugar/she’s full of spice/ she’s kinda naughty but she’s naughty and nice”!

17 susan October 12, 2010 at 6:12 pm

It IS never too early – I was singing christmas carols this morning actually! I like day old sandwiches too. I think of it like chili – the flavors have time to build.

18 Monet October 12, 2010 at 6:49 pm

I can’t wait to add your movie to my queue! I’m sure you are just stunning in it! Those gingerbread cookies look yummy…I would love to munch on one while grading this insanely large stack of undergrad essays. And I’m all about spiced nuts! They make the perfect snack. Thanks for sharing with us!

19 eatmovelove October 12, 2010 at 7:49 pm

Hey, I ended up seeing The Social Network – loved it! I thought JT fit the character of the Napster guy really good too (surprisingly).

It’s never too early or late for gingerbread. I say stock up on that sucker for when it won’t be around! …just like pumpkin ;)