Face Time

October 6, 2010

in beauty, salads

It rarely rains in LA, so when it does, nobody knows how to drive!

P1260569.JPG

I wasn’t at the wheel snapping pictures, FYI. My friend Katie was my guest today for the free Salad Bowl Cafe lunch and she chauffeured.

Got our orders to go -

P1260571.JPG

This time I asked for dressing on the side (they can be a bit heavy-handed, even when you request “light”) and got a watered-down lemonade as my beverage.

P1260575.JPG

• Spring/romaine mix
  • Hearts of Palm
  • Peas
  • Chicken
  • Carrots
  • Apples
  • Green Olives
  • Zucchini
  • Water Chestnuts
  • Raspberry Vinaigrette (used half of what they gave me)

P1260582.JPG

SAVING FACE

Nah, I’m not plugging the movie I did back in 2005 – but you should still rent it ;)

I figured it’ll get really boring seeing the same lunch over and over this week so I’ve decided to supplement these “free salad posts” by answering questions from readers that I’ve been meaning to blog about for a while.

Someone asked about my skincare regime. Honestly, it’s such a random collection of lotions and potions:

P1210551.JPG

In the morning, I rinse my face with water, apply sunscreen, and that’s it. At night, if I have a full face of makeup, I use this Shiseido Rinse-Off Cleansing Gel as a pre-cleanser. I discovered this in a SWAG bag from the Sundance Film Festival in 2005 and have been using it ever since. Feels oily, but even my acne-prone skin doesn’t break out, and it does a very thorough job of removing the layers of heavy camera makeup.

P1210557.JPG

I have combination skin (that’s susceptible to breakouts, as I just mentioned) so I do a combo of two cleansers – switching between Neutrogena’s Oil Free Acne Stress Control Power Cream Wash and the more natural/earth-friendly (and expensive) Origins Checks and Balances. I can’t say enough good things about the latter – it’s creamy, foams up nicely, and rinses off clean.

P1210552.JPG

In the evenings I soak a cotton pad in toner and remove any excess that the cleansers missed – this CoQ10 Perfecting Facial Toner by Avalon Organics was something I picked up in the drugstore on sale a few years ago, and never switched. It doesn’t sting like the astringents I grew up with (remember Sea Breeze?!)

P1210554.JPG

Once or twice a week (when I remember, honestly) I exfoliate with St. Ives Apricot Scrub (which I’ve been using since I was 12). If I have a zit brewing, I’ll dab on some pure Tea Tree Oil too.

P1210560.JPG

My moisturizers are all cheap cheap cheap – Trader Joe’s Antioxidant Moisturizing Face Lotion at night (I’m not crazy about the smell of this, it reminds me of Flintstones Vitamins) and their Enrich Moisturizing Face Lotion SPF 15 (very similar to Oil of Olay, which I used to use, but this is half the price). During the summer months when the sun is stronger, I step up the SPF with Alba Green Tea SPF 30 Sunscreen.

P1210558.JPG

I forgot to take a picture, but the only other thing I use regularly is baby oil – I put it on a Q-Tip to remove any excess eye makeup.

That’s it! Back in the day I used to do steams/masks once a week, but I’ve found that my skin stays pretty glow-y and clear just from this simple, easy regimen. I do get the occasional facial once or twice a year, but honestly, that’s more for my mental state than my face!

Any skin care products you swear by?

1 Ameena October 6, 2010 at 3:49 pm

I love Avalon Organics! They are the only ones who make organic products that actually work on my sensitive skin.

I am now tempted to try Origins…

2 rebecca lustig October 6, 2010 at 3:54 pm

I swear by my benzoclyn and differin! use it daily :)

its amazing how the true colors of drivers come out in bad weather!

3 Anna October 6, 2010 at 4:40 pm

Like you, I’m a long-time devotee of St. Ive’s. I also love Cetaphil– so inexpensive, so basic, but awesome!

4 lequan@luvtoeat October 6, 2010 at 4:45 pm

After reading your towel post, I was going to mention what flawless skin you have, but then forgot. And I wanted to ask you what lipstick you used too, and then got distracted. I really love natural looking lipstick colours. Unless those were your natural lip colour haha. Baby oil to remove eye makeup is such a great idea. I have lots of that lying around (baby oil that is). Thanks for the great tips!

SAVING FACE!!!!!! Don’t rent it, buy it!!!!!! That was one of the best gifts hubby ever got me, seriously! LOVE LOVE LOVE that movie! You freakin’ rocked the screen in that Lynn! Ok I better stop before I start writing an essay. Oh, and I gotta say I loved the dinner scene with Joan Chen, too funny. Do you have a favorite scene?

5 Lynn at The Actors Diet October 6, 2010 at 6:04 pm

i think that’s my natural lip color – the only thing i use when i’m not working is either chapstick or kiehl’s tinted lip balm (and i rarely apply that).

that scene with joan was my fave. we didn’t even rehearse it, it was easy, and probably the only time i got to be with both her and michelle. poor michelle had to eat so much rice.

6 Lauren October 6, 2010 at 4:59 pm

St. Ive’s is truly the best facial product I have ever used. I can never see me using anything else!

7 Liz @ Tip Top Shape October 6, 2010 at 5:23 pm

I love Aveeno’s foaming Anti-Acne facewash. It gets even my heaviest eye makeup off and it doesn’t dry out my skin.

8 wendy lee October 6, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Amazingly enough, I use St. Ives apricot scrub (when I do use a scrub which is hardly ever). I make do with Ponds Cold Cream for night-time moisturizer and have saved a ton of money over the many years I’ve been on this earth. I use Oil of Olay with SPF for daytime moisturizer.

9 Shanna, like Banana October 6, 2010 at 6:33 pm

Aveeno is a pretty great store-brand face moisturizer that I’m loving. Always good to know other people’s faves!

10 Cindy October 6, 2010 at 7:25 pm

Love Origins products (been using them almost 20 yrs now). Can’t believe I’ve never tried that face wash. I’ve been going to the same counter so long that the sales clerks and I spend all our time cackling and not talking about any of the products these days. I’m a Proactiv user for the acne…it works, but is pretty harsh and there’s so much peroxide that it has ruined several towels and pillowcases! I would like to try something else. Sometimes I would like to strangle all those who told me I would grow out of my acne. Liars!

I agree with you and Lequan that the dinner scene in SF was great. So much said without saying a word!! I still blurt out laughing when I see it.

11 Melissa @ TryingToHeal October 6, 2010 at 8:23 pm

oh yeah, gotta love the rain in LA and the drivers…

I was in the desert today and scared for my life! It screamed flash flooding!

12 quinn October 6, 2010 at 8:42 pm

This past summer I used an Aveda 50spf sunblock mist instead of a lotion, and I loved it. Not one burn, all summer, and it went on feeling sooo light! I hate feeling a layer of anything on my skin, especially anything greasy-feeling, as so many sunblocks seem to be.

and I DO remember Sea Breeze! Just reading the name brings back the…aroma! ;)

13 Becki @ Hike, Bike, Eat October 6, 2010 at 9:03 pm

I used to use the apricot scrub but it wound up being too rough on my skin. Now I use Neutrogena’s daily microbead scrub and a foaming cleanser. Neutrogena all the way! :)

14 Erin @ Living and Loving in L.A. October 6, 2010 at 10:01 pm

You are so good with your face! I seriously don’t do a single thing to it! I might (might) wash it with Noxema when I’m in the shower, or wipe it down with a Neutrogena Make-up Remover wipe in the mornings, but that’s it. No lotion, no potion! I should probably get on it. It’s embarrasing to admit that. Don’t tell anyone, okay! ;)

And hearts of palm? One of my favorite foods on the planet!

BTW, I’m off work NEXT Tuesday and Wednesday…maybe wanna hang out or do something fun? If it’s not still raining by then!

Let me know! I’ll bring you a pumpkin cookie!

Xo,

Erin

15 Sohara October 6, 2010 at 11:26 pm

Oh, St. Ives. It’s not fancy or expensive, but my goodness, it’s effective! I’ve been using it for at least ten years, and it’s such a great cleanser/exfoliator that it’s just a waste of money to go for anything more expensive! I’ll have to try the tea tree oil and the Shiseido–it’d be nice to find something to take off waterproof eyeliner effectively.

But you know, I’ve got to say that since I got from spending ten days in southern France and frolicking around the Atlantic in Biarritz, I’ve been crazy for anything that calls itself a sea scrub or anything vaguely sea salt or Dead Sea-related–such a short time at the beach and anything that was wrong with my skin cleared right up. Really, not much can beat Nature at her own game.

(Plus, frolicking in the waves is waaaay more fun than waiting for a face mask to dry. Right?)

16 lowandbhold October 7, 2010 at 6:24 am

You have great skin, so I will definitely have to look into some of those products!

17 Jamie @ Food in Real Life October 7, 2010 at 6:51 am

LOL @ Seabreeze! That was all the rage. My sensitive and dry skin couldn’t handle it, but I wanted to use it just to be cool. I love the Enrich moisturizer from TJ’s, I use it every day.

18 janetha October 7, 2010 at 1:09 pm

thanks for this post. you have the nicest complexion in all of blog world, so this is valuable info!

19 Vanilla October 7, 2010 at 1:52 pm

I love Shiseido! I use it all the time, I think it’s because it’s made from Japan, so thereford it suits asian’s skin better…?

20 RebeccaNYC October 7, 2010 at 4:30 pm

I keep it REALLY simple. I use Baby Shampoo on a wash cloth to wash my face. It’s soap free and removes waterproof mascara. Vasaline Intensive Care body lotion. Thats it.

21 tz October 7, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Saving Face is one of my favorite movies. Ever. It was the movie that compelled a lot of us in the AA community to convinced that you’d be killer in a lead role. By that I mean mainstream lead role.

Anyway, loving the skincare routine aspect to the post. If you ever get into handbags….. ;-)

22 Samantha Thomas November 26, 2011 at 8:03 pm

We seem to enjoy a lot of the same products! I’m also really enjoying your whole blog. Thanks for sharing!

23 Julian January 20, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Hi Lynn,

What products would you recommend for college students with mild adult acne? Also any advice on treating acne scars?

Thank you!

24 Lynn at The Actors Diet January 20, 2012 at 11:22 pm

I had mild acne in college, and had success when I started using a toner after cleansing. I don’t wash my face in the morning, either – just a splash of water. I scar easily as well and just use coverup once it’s healed!