Ten Minute Meal

September 20, 2010

in dinner, vegetarian

Dinner just kinda snuck on me after our little day trip to San Pedro for Lobster Fest. I usually cook 30 Minute Meals or less (Rachael Ray was my teacher), but last night I wanted something that would take 1/3 of that time. Scanned the fridge and decided to use these items:

Picked up these Organic Chow Mein Style Noodles from Whole Foods, using a free coupon I got in the SWAG bag at Plate by Plate.

Love that they’re prepackaged into two separate double-sized servings. Wish more companies would keep couples cooking in mind!

I kinda had no idea what I was doing when I started. Began by chopping and washing the organic bok choy that I picked up earlier from The Farmer’s Market.

Added a TB each to a hot nonstick skillet – grapeseed oil, Kimlan Soy Paste, and Trader Joe’s jarred crushed garlic

Once that dissolved (less than a minute) added the bok choy and noodles.

I was worried about the consistency of the noodles at first. They were kinda clumpy. But there was no time to think – I had to get crackin’

Two organic cage-free eggs scrambled with a take-out packet of soy sauce and a splash of water.

Turn the heat off when the eggs hit the pan and stir everything together for less than a minute – the eggs helped soften the noodles and added a silky consistency to the entire dish.

Sriracha drizzle

Pretty darn delicious, especially since it looked like it might have ended horribly, horribly wrong for a second there…

When my bowl was empty I refilled them with grapes – can’t remember the name of the green ones but the red ones were called “Malaga” from Fresno. Not quite as sweet as The Flames I got last week.

P1250102.JPG

Share a ten minute dinner recipe with me!

______

Voting for Project Food Blog has begun!  If you’re a Foodbuzz member I’d really appreciate support – click here!

1 genesis September 20, 2010 at 9:35 am

i buy the udon & buckwheat noodles from the same brand and when I first tried them I was worried about their clumpiness but once they start to get heated through with steam or some liquid they loosen up and they are so good.

unfortunately the only ten minute recipe i have is how to pop something in the microwave :(

2 Anna September 20, 2010 at 9:35 am

Yum! Looks like a great speedy dinner! Couscous is one of my favorite 10 minute meals– it only takes all of five minutes to cook, so while it’s cooking, I chop some fresh veggies, and then voila– dinner is ready!

3 Estela @ Weekly Bite September 20, 2010 at 9:39 am

Wow, I’m impressed! Your ten minute dinner looks like it took thirty minutes!
My ten minute dinner is a quesadilla :)

4 lequan@luvtoeat September 20, 2010 at 9:47 am

For someone who didn’t know what they were doing, that turned out great! Way to improvise Lynn!

Super simple zucchini stir fry:

Slice zucchinis into half moon shapes. Fry some garlic in a wok with oil. Dump in zucchinis. Add water if you like your zucchinis slightly soft, if not don’t add water. When zucchinis are almost done, crack 2 eggs in a bowl, beat, add to zucchinis. Add salt to taste, voilà. That’s my lazy go to dish.

5 Andie September 20, 2010 at 10:50 am

Num! That looks delicious! I did something similar yesterday. I put a noodle/veggie frozen stir-fry in a wok with oil and added a spicy rice/veggie leftover mix to it plus some broccoli and drizzled some soy sauce with a little bit of garlic. It was pretty tasty.. though I wished I’d had some fresh veggies and onions to add to it. Next time!
Andie

6 Monet September 20, 2010 at 11:02 am

Wow! For not knowing what you were planning on doing…this sure turned out great! For me, I love making macaroni and cheese with broccoli and a can of tuna. It doesn’t always look pretty, but it sure does taste great!

7 Liz @ Tip Top Shape September 20, 2010 at 11:17 am

That sounds amazing!! My quick go-to-meal is usually pasta with sun-dried tomatoes, wilted spinach, and some parmesan. Once the pasta is boiled it comes together very quickly!

8 DiningAndDishing September 20, 2010 at 12:32 pm

It is amazing how quicky a fresh, delicious meal can come together! I am a big fan of omelettes for that purpose :).

- Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

9 lowandbhold September 20, 2010 at 1:26 pm

I can never find that kind of chow mein noodles, just the crunchy ones. That looks like a great dinner!

10 What Kate Ate September 20, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Frittata! Healthy, quick, cheap. My style!

11 Sorell Says... September 20, 2010 at 4:12 pm

That is a great recipe! My dinners have been too long and involved lately, but I have been making them in advance; soups and stews, so they save time on the night. My best 10 minute dinner would have to be a “super salad”, or a bag of TJ’s steamed veggie dumplings with a side of steamed broccoli or edamame.

12 Sorell Says... September 20, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Oh wait! I just remembered…The Pita Pizza! That’s the quickest and tastiest :)

13 glidingcalm September 20, 2010 at 5:00 pm

mmmm!! Boy choy is by far one of my most favorite veggies!!!

My fav. 10 min meals are with beans/refried beans etc. Add a ton of veggies and salsa and spices, and you are ton!! Plus topped with cheese = amazingggggggggg!

14 rebecca lustig September 20, 2010 at 5:14 pm

you created a savory heaven in 10 minutes? youre hired!

have a great night!
bec xo

15 sheryl September 20, 2010 at 7:33 pm

wow a 10-minute yummy food recipe, who can beat that? I’m still probably thinking what to cook around that time. nevertheless, the food you made there looks tasty and I love the addition of noodles :)

16 leftcoastcontessa September 20, 2010 at 10:06 pm

Great 1o min meal! I love roasting tomato, onion, and garlic and combining with wheat pasta. Takes a bit more then 1o mins but there is very little prep time its mostly waiting time.

17 The Lonely Radish September 22, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Glad you found me. Just voted for you. Fig tree post is great. Everyone needs a website telling them where free fruit is :)