Ah-Mused

August 31, 2010

in restaurant, vegan, vegetarian

I had a Living Social Deal for 50% off $30 worth of food from Cafe Muse and decided to cash it in on Tuesday.

P1230592.JPG

I’ve been to this vegetarian-friendly coffeehouse in Hollywood before, but never during the evening, when they have live entertainment.

P1230631.JPG

Maybe one day I’ll come for open mic and play at that piano….

P1230593.JPG

…but for now I’ll just eat there. We ordered breakfast AND lunch, since it was eleven o’ clock and brunch time!

A make-your-own breakfast burrito with cheddar, eggs, mushrooms, tomatoes, and onions – came with sweet potato hash browns

P1230620.JPG

And a vegan reuben – veggie turkey, Daiya cheese, thousand island dressing, and sauerkraut. I ordered sweet potato fries as the side.

P1230616.JPG

Evenly split

P1230621.JPG

BBQ sauce and ketchup for dipping

P1230623.JPG

Plus hot sauce for the burrito…

P1230624.JPG

…which was just okay – the cheddar wasn’t fully melted and the tortilla was burnt.

P1230626.JPG

The Reuben was better, but not as mind-blowing as the one at Locali or Meet Market <—-which is closing :(

P1230627.JPG

The hash browns needed seasoning and I could’ve used more crispness – but the sweet potato fries were perfect!

Overall, we found the food to be good but not great. Cafe Muse is a cute place to hang, though (free wifi too!) and has A LOT of sandwich options so I’ll be back for more BVSLA list research.

P1230597.JPG

To fulfill the $30 Deal, Jennifer (the owner) let us order one to go. We got the “Chicken” Salad…

P1230628.JPG

…and seven hours later, wound up splitting it for dinner.

P1230636.JPG

I supplemented the side salad with baby spinach; the dressing was really yummy!

P1230644.JPG

In fact, Abe and I both liked this sandwich the best.

P1230639.JPG

For dessert, 3 big scoops of Pineapple Coconut

P1230647.JPG

This flavor really can’t hold a candle to the other Coconut Bliss ones I sampled at the beach house over the weekend.

P1230645.JPG

My entire day was pretty crazy with packing and tying up loose ends before heading to NJ, so I was grateful for Cafe Muse and the Living Social Deal to take care of my meals. Next time you hear from me I’ll be on the east coast – in 90 degree weather!!!

Cafe Muse on Urbanspoon

1 serena September 1, 2010 at 12:52 am

i heart sweet potato! You should definitely do open mic night, sounds like fun. Have a safe trip.

2 Lauren September 1, 2010 at 3:51 am

It’s so great that you and Abe are able to share. I wish my hubby and I remotely liked the same things because having someone to share when trying new places is the best! ;)

3 Amy @ Second City Randomness September 1, 2010 at 4:14 am

Sweet potato hashbrowns! I think I’m in love…

And love those living social deals… I’m now a subscriber and have you to thank! :)

4 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) September 1, 2010 at 4:29 am

I am kind of surprised they served you a wrap that was burned like that on the bottom. I need to check out the living social site. That looks like a good deal over all!

5 KeepItSweet September 1, 2010 at 4:35 am

i love deals like that- i usually get some good ones through groupon

6 Nicole @ Making Good Choices September 1, 2010 at 4:36 am

I’ve done groupon but not living social, I have to check it out. I wish more places served sweet potato fries and hash browns, they are so much better!

7 emily September 1, 2010 at 5:23 am

I wish my town in MI had more veg-friendly options. There really aren’t many dedicated spots to dine. Enjoy the East Coast!

8 Anna September 1, 2010 at 5:24 am

Cafe Muse sounds so familiar to me…hmmmmmm. :-)

Looks good…but boo to burnt tortillas!! :-(

9 jaclyn@todayslady September 1, 2010 at 5:41 am

That burrito and reuben sounded so promising!!! Too bad they didn’t deliver :( And the sweet potato hashbrowns, the thing that makes them IS the seasonings so that sucks too!!!

I’m so jealous of your Coconut Bliss, I must try it!!

Happy travels to NJ!!!

10 theexperfectionist September 1, 2010 at 5:44 am

Mmmm sweet potato hash browns. That blows my mind. Travel safe!

11 carascravings September 1, 2010 at 6:15 am

That “Reuben” does look good…too bad it didn’t excite your taste buds the way you had hoped.

12 Sonia @ Master of Her Romaine September 1, 2010 at 6:29 am

the sweet potato hashbrowns look too good to be true!!
It is just so cool that you have all of these vegetarian and vegan options available at restaurants near you. You are always trying such great looking food.
Sigh…I cannot wait until I live in a civilized area…

13 brandi September 1, 2010 at 6:29 am

that place sounds really neat! I need to make some sweet potato hashbrowns.

14 Danielle September 1, 2010 at 7:04 am

In Boston its hot & muggy, never a good mix…cant even sit outside for my break, way too uncomfortable…
all that food looks so good!

15 Ameena September 1, 2010 at 7:08 am

I want to be in New Jersey with you Lynn! Have a safe trip. :)

16 Anne Marie@New Weigh of Life September 1, 2010 at 7:17 am

Hope you have a great time!

17 Kim September 1, 2010 at 9:21 am

Those sweet potato hash browns look so amazing! Have a great time in NJ!

18 lowandbhold September 1, 2010 at 10:21 am

Sweet potato fries AND hash browns! What a deal!

19 Lindsay September 1, 2010 at 10:40 am

I’d love to try sweet potato hashbrowns. I don’t think I’ve run across them before. Have a safe trip.

20 Monet September 1, 2010 at 11:47 am

I hope you have a safe journey out east. Your food sure did look yummy, and I love finding those deals that allow you to purchase gift certificates at a discounted price. Definitely an affordable way to eat some great food!

21 Erin September 1, 2010 at 11:50 am

We ate at Cafe Muse shortly after it opened – just grabbed some bagels and I had a coffee. The place is pretty cool, but it’s just missing something… I saw that Living Social Deal, too, but decided to pass on it. I’m glad you took advantage of it – even though the food wasn’t great, it looked pretty good. <3

22 Sues September 1, 2010 at 11:51 am

Sweet potato hash browns are a marvelous idea! Looks like fun… And now I”m starving :)

23 Ashley D. September 1, 2010 at 10:00 pm

Don’t forget to pick the giveaway winner!

24 Lynn at The Actors Diet September 1, 2010 at 10:47 pm

i already notified the winner on sunday – there’s gonna be many more coming up so enter again!

25 BlessedHi5ive September 1, 2010 at 10:05 pm

The “chicken” salad sandwich sounds really good to me. I would like to try it. Have a great time in the East Coast and enjoy time with family and friends!