There IS Such Thing as a Free Lunch!

August 18, 2010

in lunch, restaurant, salads, vegan, vegetarian

Where oh where did my Wednesday go? How is it almost 7pm already?!?

Started off the morning seeing my shrinky dink, and ate a Lighter Living Probiotic Bar on the way

P1220431.JPG

This was the Lemon Poppyseed flavor; don’t worry – I wasn’t snapping pix and driving at the same time. All staged.

Stopped by the 99-cent store on the drive back to fill up my after-meal candy stash

P1220432.JPG

Picked up Abe and we drove BACK into West Hollywood for lunch, courtesy of Kevin Boylan, one of the Veggie Grill owners.

P1220434.JPG

If you’ve been reading T.A.D. for a while, you know I LOVE the Veggie Grill. When I first began blogging about it, I had to drive to the O.C. (where it originated) for my fix (read my other post about the Irvine Spectrum Center location here). Now they have one in Los Angeles, and I even hosted my first blogger meetup there!

P1220451.JPG

I almost always order the All Hail Kale salad with Tempeh (truly stellar) but decided on some new things today.

The Chop-Chop Chef, in honor of my friend Diana’s site, “Is It Chopped?

P1220437.JPG

And for my BVSLA list, the Sante Fe Crispy Chickin’ Sandwich (which had been recommended to me by numerous readers to try)

P1220440.JPG

Our free lunch (!!!) also came with a free beverage, so I got some Unsweetened Black Tea.

P1220441.JPG

They’re all caffeinated, unfortunately – I mixed half the glass with water.

P1220449.JPG

Veggie Grill is vegetarian fast food at its finest – aside from being housed in a clean, modern environment…

P1220443.JPG

…the stuff comes out really quickly – and by golly it’s good!

We ordered the mac n’ cheese with the sandwich (usually $2.25 extra)

P1220453.JPG

It’s made of brown rice macaroni, vegan cheese, and toasted garlic bread crumbs.

P1220455.JPG

Our gorgeous salad, perfectly dressed with chipotle ranch -

P1220461.JPG

I got to work dividing…

P1220467.JPG

Pour moi:

P1220469.JPG

The salad was tasty, but I still prefer the All Hail Kale. I think romaine is a pretty boring lettuce, in general, and the leaves could’ve been a little more finely chopped.

The sandwich, however…

P1220475.JPG

…is most definitely on the BVSLA list. Crispy but not greasy, moist and flavorful – skeptical carnivores need to order this. I don’t know if it’s really a sandwich or a “chicken burger” but I don’t care. It’s on the list.

The mac n’ cheese was awesome as well – creamy, gooey, smooth, and I can’t believe it’s vegan!!!

P1220473.JPG

I ate half the pasta and cleared my plate.

P1220479.JPG

Me and my Sugar Daddies

P1220482.JPG

Thank you so much, Kevin, not only for treating us to lunch, but also for doing what you do – bringing affordable, healthy, cruelty-free, and seriously delicious food in a fun, fast, and interesting way. Please expand WORLDWIDE!!! If you’re in Southern California, make sure to follow Veggie Grill on twitter and facebook for contests that could score YOU a free lunch as well.

And, while you’re on facebook, would you “like” my new fan page, please? :)

As if you needed another reason to go, the Los Angeles Veggie Grill is next door to a Trader Joe’s, and just downstairs from the Sunset 5, where my movie “The People I’ve Slept With” will be opening on the 27th. There, they also have screenings of the best worst movie I blogged about, “The Room.”

P1220484.JPG

Catch a flick, then get that All Hail Kale and Sante Fe Crispy Chickin’ Sandwich!!! That’s an order!

The Veggie Grill on Urbanspoon

1 Carrie (Love Healthy Living) August 18, 2010 at 7:40 pm

This is a totally random comment but I did not know that Nips made a peanut butter flavor!!! I used to eat the chocolate ones like nobody’s business. Must get me some P.B. ones soon! :)

2 Lynn at The Actors Diet August 18, 2010 at 9:09 pm

oh yes, i love the PB and the chocolate parfait ones b/c they have a “gooey” filling.

3 Lin August 18, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Ahhhh the food looks delicious! Lady, you are making me want to move to L.A. solely for the food scene. Perhaps I’ll be a professional vegan food taster :-P.

4 Estela @ Weekly Bite August 18, 2010 at 7:48 pm

Those salads look incredible!!! I wish there was one in D.C.!!

I love Sugar Daddies! I haven’t had one in ages! What I do buy on occasion are Sugar Babies :)

5 Shanna, like Banana August 18, 2010 at 7:49 pm

I want one of those places in NorCal! Yum…I’ve yet to try vegan cheese, but think I would like it..especially in the form of Mac n Cheese.

Oh and I had no idea that the 99cent store had candy…eeep!

6 Ameena August 18, 2010 at 7:58 pm

I am excited that there is a gluten-free mac n cheese! Maybe I will give Veggie Gril another shot.

7 sophia August 18, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Hee hee I remember that place! I wasn’t all too impressed with their chili, but their salads were good….I guess I’ll have to try that sandwich too!

8 Crystal @ Well Forward August 18, 2010 at 8:13 pm

I absolutely love The Veggie Grill. We go to the one in El Segundo because my boyfriend hates anywhere that he has to spend more than 30 seconds to find parking. Sometimes I can talk him into O!Burger, though. I love their sweetheart fries.

9 Monet August 18, 2010 at 8:34 pm

I wish I could visit! That mac and cheese looked divine. Nice and cheesy. Next time I’m in California….

10 lequan@luvtoeat August 18, 2010 at 8:54 pm

That “chicken” sandwich DOES look good :-P Love avocados in sandwiches!

Finally found the “like” button to like your T.A.D. fan page. But I think there should be a “love” button cause you can’t just “like” T.A.D. ;-)

“Like” her peeps, “like” her, she’s very likeable :-D

11 Jen Cheung August 18, 2010 at 8:59 pm

the food looks delicious :) Looks like an eventful day!!!

Have a lovely day!!
Jen @ http://www.passion4food.ca

12 Sonia @ Master of Her Romaine August 18, 2010 at 9:02 pm

yum @ that mac and cheese!
I need to pick up some candy for after dinner sweet treats too- what are your faves?

13 Lynn at The Actors Diet August 18, 2010 at 9:10 pm

i love tootsie pops, chocolate reisens (i freeze them!), PB and chocolate parfait nips, and ginger chews!!!

14 Healthy Coconut August 18, 2010 at 9:25 pm

From an accountant’s point of view, there’s no such thing as a free lunch…ha ha j/k Sorry, jst taking a break from studying and I have my accountant hat on right now.

I love Veggie Grill, I can’t believe you drove all the way down here in OC for that. I must say it’s worth it. All Hail to the Kale…woohoo! The Veggie Grill by UC Irvine is also next to Trader Joe’s, Peet’s coffee and a Theater..hmmm what a coincidence.

15 Victoria August 18, 2010 at 9:50 pm

I love the Veggie Grill! The All American is so yummy…tastes just like a burger from a BBQ…

16 elaine @ Om Sweet Om August 18, 2010 at 11:56 pm

Ohhh! I think I saw VeggieGrill somewhere…Irvine maybe? Looks very delicious :)

17 Lynn at The Actors Diet August 19, 2010 at 9:55 pm

yes! they have locations (2 of them) in irvine!

18 Lauren August 19, 2010 at 3:52 am

This place looks fantastic!!

19 Simply Life August 19, 2010 at 3:53 am

wow! all that food looks so good!

20 wendy lee August 19, 2010 at 4:03 am

Tell Veggie Grill to open in Philadelphia please!
Everything looks really really yummy.

21 Heather (Where's the Beach) August 19, 2010 at 5:22 am

First off that bar looks really good. Need to look into those. And I would give anything for a restaurant like that around here. All I have is my own kitchen ;-)

22 Anne Marie@New Weigh of Life August 19, 2010 at 6:07 am

Yay for free lunches! They always taste the best ;)

23 Emily August 19, 2010 at 6:52 am

The Veggie Grill sounds so good. We don’t have a vegetarian fast food place anywhere near us, which is sad. The mac and cheese looks fantastic!

24 Jenna August 19, 2010 at 6:58 am

Okay, this post reminded me that I haven’t had GOOD mac & cheese in wayyy too long. I’ve got to get on that, pronto!

25 Evan Thomas August 19, 2010 at 7:00 am

That mac n cheese looks delicious! I’ve never had a good gluten-free/vegan mac n cheese

26 Erin August 19, 2010 at 7:29 am

Okay, love the 99-cent store! I’m more for chocolate than candies, so I can’t buy goodies there too often… but I remember one time after Christmas, they had so many bags of Dove chocolates… I was in heaven. <3

And Veggie Grill sounds delicious… mmm mmm. It's 7:30am but your photos just made me hungry for lunch!

27 KeepItSweet August 19, 2010 at 8:16 am

that mac’n cheese looks amazing!

28 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) August 19, 2010 at 8:27 am

That sandwich looks sooooo good! YUM!

29 lowandbhold August 19, 2010 at 9:01 am

Gosh that place always looks so good. I’m lusting after that mac and cheese.

30 Emily (A Nutritionist Eats) August 19, 2010 at 11:52 am

That lunch sounds fantastic!
Sugar Daddies bring back so many memories :)

31 Pearl Lee August 19, 2010 at 5:51 pm

veggiegrill looks amazing! i’d drive up to the OC for that, too!

32 Melissa @ TryingToHeal August 20, 2010 at 11:55 am

omg so jealous you going to the veggie grill. i have gone a handful of time and have never been disappointed! i just wish i lived closer so i could go there more often! next time i’m in town it’s the first place i’m hitting…or rutabegorz…in fullerton. freak’n fresh and awesome!

33 Diana August 23, 2010 at 3:39 pm

I want to LIVE in that little dish of mac and “cheese.” Slobberslobberslobber.