Food Rites

July 30, 2010

in dessert, dinner, eating disorders, movies, soup/stew

Leftover leftovers for dinner last night!

P1200907.JPG

The last of the Ribollita -

P1200909.JPG

(Bread in soup provides such a wonderful, tasty thickness)

Another texture adder -

P1200913.JPG

I divided this sample packet of Just Fruit Munchies to all the leftover thawed frozen fruit we had to make two crunchy little salads

P1200917.JPG

Perked that mushy blah-ness right up!

P1200921.JPG

My wise Yogi tea

P1200923.JPG

For those of you wondering, my post-meal tea/candy/gum ritual hasn’t gone anywhere…

P1200925.JPG

In fact, I’m chewing more gum than ever – so much so I’ve needed to get new flavors because I’m sick of the ones I have now (too fruit-y).

P1200927.JPG

I was recently asked by a reader if I could share any other post-eating practices I have. I realized that, on days when I don’t have anything planned, I definitely have specific activities I do after each meal – e.g. setting my DVR after breakfast, blogging after lunch, and movies/cocoa after dinner!

P1200931.JPG

This was an interesting one, but I didn’t love it.

P1200929.JPG

Just half a cup last night

P1200932.JPG

As an actor, life involves a lot of waiting around (I’m currently on avail for a commercial – which essentially means I’m “on hold” but not officially booked, or getting paid) and having other people tell you what your schedule is going to be. As someone with an eating disorder history, it is helpful for me to have these kinds of habits in place so I feel a sense of control in my days, since I’m always aware that things can turn cuckoo at any second.

What food rituals do you have in your life?

1 Becki @ HikeBikeEat July 30, 2010 at 9:41 am

Congrats on being on avail! My food ritual is having a Green Monster in the morning. I seriously go through withdrawl and have no energy if I don’t have one!

2 Amy @ Second City Randomness July 30, 2010 at 9:49 am

I’m very routine with meals, that’s for certain. Green tea with breakfast. Coffee as my mid-morning treat (I can call it that because I use a tad of creamer). Clif bar if I’m working out that night (I’m seriously addicted and have to control myself by saying only if I work out can I have it!). Sleepytime tea at night. Etc. etc….

3 It All Changes July 30, 2010 at 10:05 am

I always start the day with a cup of coffee to help with my digestion. And I like something sweet like jam during dinner.

4 Ameena July 30, 2010 at 10:10 am

I am a big fan of eating at the same times, not sure if that is a ritual or if I’m just a creature of habit?

5 Stephanie@ avocado nation July 30, 2010 at 10:10 am

I chew gum like you do. I used to smoke (gasp! I know.) so I started chewing gun to help quit and it just kind of stuck with me.

6 Lynn at The Actors Diet July 31, 2010 at 7:59 am

I used to smoke too, at one time a pack a day!!! That’s why I feel like my candy and gum habit is a lot less dangerous….

7 Stephanie@ avocado nation July 31, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Agreed. My boyfriend doesn’t understand how I could chew a pack of gum in a day, but it’s a lot better than a pack of cigarettes in a day! It’s also nice to know that there are other food bloggers that used to smoke. makes me feel less alone. :-)

8 Anna July 30, 2010 at 10:25 am

Ah, I liked Moon! I’m a big Sam Rockwell fan…although it bugged me that I couldn’t stop thinking about how much he is Owen Wilson’s voice twin in that movie.

I love those fruit munchies!

9 TanyasDailyProductReviews July 30, 2010 at 10:34 am

I’m a huge gum chewer also…….I love wrigleys Extra Polar ice – it keeps it’s flavor for so long

10 Monet July 30, 2010 at 10:44 am

Yogi tea and orbit gum…two of my own post meal rituals/items. I hope you have a lovely weekend!

11 Evan Thomas July 30, 2010 at 10:57 am

I almost always finish the day with oatmeal and nut butter. And I’ve found on the days that I don’t I can’t sleep; I think the hot carbs help me go to bed, so I don’t see that ritual ending soon.

12 Brittany July 30, 2010 at 11:07 am

I think that having a ritual is a great way to stay on track!!! I try to eat dinner at same time every night…advoid snacking and if too late i dont eat…because i get sick if i sleep on it lol. Anyway COCO my favorite at night ; )

CHEERS happy FRIDAY!

13 lowandbhold July 30, 2010 at 11:52 am

I’d say I don’t have any rituals, except that I never ever skip meals.

14 Megan (Braise The Roof) July 30, 2010 at 12:21 pm

Thank you for talking about your post-meal habits. I am awful at this- if I’m sitting around bored (or stressed) and there’s MORE food it’s so hard not to go back for seconds! I’m not a big gum chewer, but brushing my teeth or getting out for a walk or to run a quick errand has always helped me.

15 edenseats July 30, 2010 at 12:58 pm

Sadly, “rituals” rules my eating disorder. Its was all about “rituals” and it made me sick and totally introverted. I’d only eat if it was “my ritual” and that ritual usually was a big binge that I’d feel horrible about the next day and I’d go exercise for god knows how long. Anyhow, I had to get rid of them and learn to build rituals around feelings and simple pleasures, like doing yoga at night to calm down, watch a movie in a theater alone, stuff like that. its all about healthy rituals. I also like driving without traffic listening to npr.

16 Rosey Rebecca July 30, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Hmm I always have iced coffee with almond milk in the morning. Does that count as a food ritual? Lately, I’ve been so busy that I haven’t even noticed my actions before and after eating. Maybe it’s a sign that I need to sloooowww things down, eh?

17 theexperfectionist July 30, 2010 at 1:46 pm

I think it would just be coffee in the a.m. for me.

18 sensorydefensiveness July 30, 2010 at 3:36 pm

I have way too many food idiosyncrasies, but my favorite is the nice big piece of Dark Chocolate before bed, sometimes with coffee just because I’m crazy.

19 Cindy July 30, 2010 at 3:59 pm

I’m not sure I would consider them rituals, but I have my orange juice and cafe con leche every morning. Love cinnamint! I used to be a constant gum chewer (all day every day) thru my teens and 20′s, but damaged my jaw in the process. I allow myself half a piece, only once a day now. Though it is not a daily thing.

20 carascravings July 30, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Breakfast is probably my only meal with routine.
Coffee first, followed by either green monster or barley oats.

21 Kt July 30, 2010 at 4:57 pm

Thanks so much Lynn for posting this as a reader question! All the responses were really helpful :)

22 Rosie July 30, 2010 at 11:12 pm

This type of actors food diet is really wonderful post. Pretty insightful post. Never thought that it was this simple after all. I had spent a good deal of my time looking for someone to explain this subject clearly and you’re the only one that ever did that. Kudos to you! Keep it up

23 Sonia @ Master of Her Romaine July 31, 2010 at 8:04 am

I don’t think I have any food rituals…as much as I always TRY to develop something that works for me after I eat or while I eat, I am far too unorganized to get into any habits!

24 dianacheung August 1, 2010 at 2:40 pm

I need to start having tea after meals so I’m not tempted to get up and get more food! BTW I had such high hopes for moon…I think I was expecting more of a mind f*ck than it was!