That Not-So-Fresh Feeling

July 29, 2010

in breakfast, dessert, lunch, trader joe's

Don’t worry; this isn’t a feminine douche commercial. It’s been a busy day with a lot food outa boxes – cardboard and ice:

P1200885.JPG

P1200880.JPG

Had an audition and a ton of errands to run – then I headed over to the 90210 house for lunch.

Kiddie food!

P1200888.JPG

I nuked them; they turned pretty oily so I used a paper towel to sop up the excess

P1200890.JPG

with a side of frozen berries/bananas that had been thawed

P1200898.JPG

P1200893.JPG

These don’t look at all like they do on the box…

P1200896.JPG

…neither did this…

P1200903.JPG

…but this did!

P1200905.JPG

The sweets were a lot more yummy than the chicken tacos.

I don’t wanna discuss the ingredient list on all of these – let’s just say they were all very long and unpronounceable. I’m feeling a little bit sluggish and bloated now but that’s okay – there’s nothing I need to be particularly energized for later!

Favorite super processed food (and the last time you ate it)? It’s been years, but I used to have a mad love affair with Cheetos, Chef Boyardee, and Twizzlers.

1 Becki @ HikeBikeEat July 29, 2010 at 4:08 pm

I just picked up a box of chocolate bon-bons from TJ’s too! I’m making dinner early just so I can get started on them :)

2 lpskins July 29, 2010 at 4:19 pm

Oh man I LOVE those mint oreo ice cream things. I once at a whole box. Sadly that’s a true story. I can’t even name just once processed thing that I love but if it was a life or death type of question, I’d have to say brown sugar pop tarts.

3 vanillasugar July 29, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Oh my goodness girl bon bons!!! man i love those. and TJ has ‘em eh? ok then i need to get some.

4 Vanilla July 29, 2010 at 5:01 pm

Chapman’s Nanaimo Bar frozen yogurt. 2 min ago. :)

5 Lauren July 29, 2010 at 5:40 pm

I love those TJ’s mini ice cream cookie sandwiches. I think my favorite processed food growing up was triscuts and cheese in a can. I know, I’m ashamed but I use to go through 2 cans of fake cheese a week!!

6 Andrea@WellnessNotes July 29, 2010 at 5:46 pm

The bon bon’s look good! :) I like Cheetos – so fake yet so good… :)

7 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) July 29, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Dude! I love both of those sweets from TJ’s especially the bon bons. They are highly addictive.

8 greensandjeans July 29, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Cheese its and Cheetos are definitely high on my list!

9 Stephanie@ avocado nation July 29, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Those bon-bons look amazing. Though that box would not last 5 minutes in my presence so I applaud you on your amazing self-control.

As for my favorite junk food, White Cheddar Cheez-its. Hands down. They taste like the stuff that dreams are made of. I ate a few about 2 months ago. I got a small bag in the airport, ate some, and then threw the rest of the way. It was a mercy killing. If I had eaten all of them, I would have felt like poo.

10 Estela @ Weekly Bite July 29, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Sour Cream & Onion Pringles!! They are so gross and super processed… but I love em’ :)

Its been so long since I’ve had them I can’t even remember! Now I want them ;)

11 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) July 29, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Oh, I had twizzlers the other day at the movies and I loved it! It made my movie experience. I can’t remember the last time I ate candy or junk. I just don’t crave it, but when you have the craving or the need…I say go for it! Life is too short!

12 edenseats July 29, 2010 at 6:45 pm

HAHAHA! I read the first few lines and my dinner came up my nose! (I know, tmi, but it nearly did!)
super processed? I really do like hot dogs. I like veggie dogs as well (which aren’t that much less processed) but nothing beats a good dog. Have you ever been to Pinks? its a little over-rated but when the line is shorter, its worth it. I get the applegate farms turkey dogs when I feel like splurging! they arent that processed and they taste BETTER than real ones. They cost about 6.99 a package at gelsons, but when the craving strikes and the wallet is plumper…

13 Kate July 29, 2010 at 6:46 pm

i read the title of this post and got little nervous :) i am all about sharing but that would be one topic i would not want to read about.

i loved gusher fruit snacks. i don’t even know what those could possibly be made of but man they were good!

14 Megan @ Healthy Hoggin July 29, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Ha, my husband just devoured half a box of those TJ’s mint ice cream sandwiches the other night! My favorite super processed food is probably mini Reese’s peanut butter cups– probably been about a month since I’ve enjoyed them, and I try to keep it a pretty rare occurrence! (but sometimes, they’re totally worth it!)

I also LOVED Lay’s potato chips and oatmeal cream pies growing up… but it’s been a really long time since I’ve had those!

15 thehungryscholar July 29, 2010 at 6:51 pm

I like a lot of processed children-oriented cereals. Like all of them.

16 TanyasDailyProductReviews July 29, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Cinnamon Graham Crackers…I did try the Healthy ones at the health store……they had zero taste…so I stick with the junky yummy ones!

17 luvtoeat July 29, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Lol-ed at the first line of this post.

I love those mochi ice cream balls, shredded squid, haw chips, and fruit roll-ups. Actually my list can go on and on but I won’t bore you.

18 luvtoeat July 29, 2010 at 7:21 pm

I just had mochi ice cream a couple days ago, but the rest were my childhood faves. Haven’t had them since those carefree (foodwise) University days.

19 Monet July 29, 2010 at 7:49 pm

I love Oreo cookies, but since I found a recipe for homemade Oreos, I haven’t had the packaged kind in ages!

20 Run Sarah July 29, 2010 at 7:58 pm

Those mini ice cream sandwiches look amazing! I used to love Doritos and Munchie Mix…haven’t had either in a long time.

21 Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) July 29, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Ooooh, Bon Bons! Those look yummy, the tacos on the box do, too. Not so much out of the box, though, LOL.

I think McDonald’s or Burger King would have to be my favorite ultra-processed food. I still indulge now and then. I’m not perfect. :D

Jenn

22 Blessedhi5ive July 29, 2010 at 10:00 pm

My daughter’s fav was speghettiOs last school year. The ice cream bon bons look yum!

23 carascravings July 30, 2010 at 12:12 am

Ice cream and Ice cream!
Just can’t get enough…Ever!

24 elaine @ Om Sweet Om July 30, 2010 at 2:53 am

I used to love Pringles alot! That “Once it pops, it never stops” motto is pretty darn true. I haven’t had Pringles in years though, and I feel pretty darn proud of it :D

25 Lynn at The Actors Diet July 30, 2010 at 10:08 am

When I was in Vietnam 2 years ago they had unlimited pringles in our rooms. I ate so many I haven’t touched one since!!!

26 Therese July 30, 2010 at 4:37 am

Doritos are my favourite processed food. That and anything Reeses!

27 Simply Life July 30, 2010 at 5:32 am

oh that cereal looks so good!

28 Rosey Rebecca July 30, 2010 at 5:48 am

I used to DEVOUR whole packages of oreos. Love your cereal. It looks so good!

Like you, try to stay away from processed foods, but once in a while, it’s ok not to think about the ingredient list. :-)

29 Anne Marie@New Weigh of Life July 30, 2010 at 6:13 am

I love super pretzel bites filled with cheese. My mom keeps them at her house, but I’ve resisted them for a few months :)

30 fitandfortysomething July 30, 2010 at 7:07 am

hate to admit it but i LOVE doritoes but never eat them…..well i should not say never ;)

31 Lea @ Healthy Coconut July 30, 2010 at 8:09 am

Good pickings at Trader Joe’s. thanks for the review, I’ve always wanted to pick up the bon bons before, but I’ve always chosen the Mochi ice cream over it.

Favorite super *duper* processed food are funnel cakes. I love the crunch, the sugar and the toppings. How I feel the next day after eating them…..I don’t love so much :(
Last time I had them was at Knott’s Scary Farm last Halloween.

32 Megan July 30, 2010 at 8:48 am

Haha, I’m so glad that this post wasn’t about feminine hygiene! :)

I agree with you about the chicken tacos- they’re not bad, but just don’t really seem worth the grease/long ingredient list. They used to have this frozen veggie tempura dish that you’d throw in the oven- I think I cried the day they discontinued them. :(

I’m not gonna lie, occasionally I LOVE a regular Coke. I don’t drink them often because they’re horrible for you (and I think Diet Coke is even worse!) but every once in a blue moon I have to have one!

33 campendeavor July 30, 2010 at 8:53 am

My BF came home from Target (I always grocery shop) with bags and bags of gardettos, chex mix, etc. and so I’ve been enjoying Gardettos. Makes me think of 7th grade. :)

34 David July 30, 2010 at 11:53 am

I used to LOVE those little chicken tacos from Trader Joe’s. I am an actor two and decided a couple months ago to start taking fitness really seriously. I started doing p90x and try to follow the diet pretty closely. Though I cheat sometimes, I cutting out desserts and soda is something I find pretty easy to stick to. Also finding products that can act as sweets like yogurt with granola or a VitaTop is a good way to stay tasty!

35 quinn July 31, 2010 at 3:32 am

Two days ago I bought Doritos – a former “staple” which I haven’t eaten in ages. I ate half a bag, looking for the taste I remember. Never found it, but did find an uncomfortable belly. And the next morning I still felt yucky! Guess I’m “over” Doritos.