Monochrome

July 17, 2010

in leftover recipe, product review, salads, vegetarian

After a week of running around town and being away from home, all I wanted was a mellow Friday night to finish some script reading in my own bed.

Slapped together a quick salad with the leftover roasted radishes and some raw zucchini, cut very thinly on a mandolin slicer.

P1190912.JPG

Tossed with some Lavender Sea Salt and the last few tablespoons of the Mike’s Special Organic Flax Oil Dressing; let it sit in the fridge for 40 minutes while we took Julius for a walk.

P1190914.JPG

Once more – Pasta Frittata !!!

P1190917.JPG

Matching outfits

P1190922.JPG

New England Naturals sent a bunch of their Granolas and Bars to sample (they also make cereals and trail mixes). Aside from being Kosher/Certified Organic, they are also an environmentally and socially-conscious company – donating 10% of their profits and contributing food to organizations like the Amazonian Peoples Resources Initiative, domestic anti-violence programs, and many others.

I had the Chocolate-Omega flavor for dessert

P1190924.JPG

On a bed of organic blueberries

P1190935.JPG

This is rather dense and not-to-sweet – with a slightly crispy texture from the flax/hemp seeds. The chocolate liquor, apricot, and orange flavor give it a very unique (and grown up) spin from traditional granola bars that I’ve tried. You can find New England Naturals products at a store near you.

Used a different milk base for my hot cocoa before bed -

P1190939.JPG

Still prefer hemp, which is more creamy.

Getting ready for another 90-degree day! The heat is supposed to break tomorrow, and we’ll be back to the 70′s again by next week. I know, I know, you hate me – yesterday I was on the phone for a while with Apple Care and the guy helping me didn’t want to hear about the Los Angeles “heat wave.”

How’s the weather where you are?

1 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) July 17, 2010 at 8:40 am

Hot, wet and muggy here! That dinner looks delicious! Try to stay cool! Have a great weekend!

2 Angie July 17, 2010 at 9:08 am

Beautiful meal – the pasta frittata looks amazing! :)

The weather here in Knoxville is hot, humid, and overcast…I think the forecasted high is in the 90s today- I guess I’ll get a little sweating in on my outdoors walk.

Have a great weekend, Lynn!

3 heather July 17, 2010 at 9:21 am

So hot and humid here…and its not going to break til Tuesday! : /
That frittata still looks delish!

4 Justine July 17, 2010 at 9:25 am

Our weather here is brutal. It is 11:20am and already 92. I am pretty sure that it is normal for Oklahoma, but I have never been a fan of the summers here. Ever. I suppose that is what air conditioners are for, though. :)

5 Cindy July 17, 2010 at 9:52 am

Normal summer weather here in South Florida…94 & 80% plus humidity…plus rain several days a week. It doesn’t typically drop below 80 until October. Keep showing me pretty pictures of food and I’ll try not to hate you for your comfy weather.

6 Anna July 17, 2010 at 10:39 am

Sunny and hot here in Nantucket! Finally– we had some cold, gray days too!

Yummy frittatta!

7 Ameena July 17, 2010 at 12:43 pm

I just got back from Studio City and it was 97! I think I brought the heat back with me from DC.

8 tropicaleats July 17, 2010 at 12:51 pm

its hotter than heckkkkk here. but i’d definitely rather have it be hot than cold. .. snow is not my friend lol

9 Monet July 17, 2010 at 1:53 pm

I need to give a mandolin slicer another chance. I inherited a very old slicer from my grandmother and managed to slice my thumb in the process of making potato fries. I’ve been scared ever since! I need to go into Williams and Sonoma and buy a new one with the proper safety attachments because those veggies look too beautiful!

10 Becki @ HikeBikeEat July 17, 2010 at 5:34 pm

Today was brutal! I definitely prefer our lovely 70 degree “chilly” summer :)

11 tanyasdaily July 17, 2010 at 7:37 pm

I have to have my sweet after dinner also, I used to do the hot choc every night.

12 greensandjeans July 17, 2010 at 8:18 pm

116 degrees. One hundred and sixteen degrees. Ugh.

13 sonia July 18, 2010 at 12:42 am

It hit 100 today here in West Texas! So ready to move up north…

14 lowandbhold July 19, 2010 at 10:14 am

The weather here is so hot and humid! But I don’t mind it too much, I love summer!