Breakfast Pudding

July 13, 2010

in books, breakfast, TV shows, vegetarian

I don’t often pre-make my morning meals (like breakfast cookies or overnight oats) because whenever I do, I am rarely in the mood for them when it’s actually time to eat.

A good compromise is this recipe for Breakfast Pudding, or not-so-overnight oats. There’s still a mountain of Better Oats flavored instant oatmeal packets in the house – instant oatmeal means minimal soaking time!

In a bowl, I combined 2 Packets of Cinnamon Roll Oat Fit with 6 ounces of Plain Greek Yogurt (Siggi Nonfat), and filled the empty container with water. Stir, and let sit for about 15-20 minutes in the fridge.

P1190501.JPG

Added a packet of YouTrail Mix (this one had almonds, organic cashews, walnuts, organic sunflower seeds, dried sweetened blueberries, sweetened cranberries, and Sun Drops Original Chocolate Candies)

P1190503.JPG

and divided it all between two bowls -

P1190507.JPG

Waaaaaay tooooo sweeeeeeet!!!! Don’t try this with flavored yogurt at home, kids.

I crumbled in 1/2 a Weetabix biscuit to cut the sugar; then it was juuuust right. Added a nice texture too.

P1190516.JPG

Met Skye at Space 15 Twenty to do some talking and browsing.

P1190517.JPG

We looked through many interesting books (this one was Bureaucratics) …

P1190521.JPG

… giggled at ridiculous, overpriced vintage dresses (this Oscar de la Renta number was about $900) …

P1190524.JPG

… and admired the clothes hangers at Free People.

P1190526.JPG

Then my meter ran out and it was time to part ways! On the car ride home I tore into a YouBar -

P1190529.JPG

Great Date with Chocolate” -

P1190533.JPG

Doesn’t look very pretty but it tasted awesome – like a brownie! (Don’t forget, you can get 5% off any YouBar products online by entering coupon code ACTORSDIET)

P1190535.JPG

Back home, a grapefruit from Jake/Jen’s backyard

P1190539.JPG

While watching an especially good episode of Oprah – Geneen Roth was on to answer questions about food and emotional eating (revisiting the episode my friend Alexandria was on in May)

P1190542.JPG

In case you missed it, this show will rerun this Saturday night, at 11:30 pm (at least, it will be in Los Angeles; check your local listings).

Later, gators!

1 theemptynutjar July 13, 2010 at 3:53 pm

So its oats soaked in yogurt overnight right? I got confused when you mentioned adding water.

I actually didn’t really like that episode of Oprah…I found Oprah kept talking on and on and Roth barely said a word…it was like an hour of therapy session with Oprah and nothing else – ha.

2 Lynn at The Actors Diet July 13, 2010 at 4:02 pm

nope, no need to soak overnight when you use instant oatmeal. just combine with the greek yogurt and water (to cut down on the thickness) let sit for 15-20 minutes and that’s it!

3 Kim July 13, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Those bars look good! And the trail mix! I just might have to place an order…

4 Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 13, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Hm..so overnight oats without the overnight part?? I like the sound of that :-D

5 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) July 13, 2010 at 4:18 pm

Your pudding looks yummy. I can’t handle too sweet in the morning. Good call on the crunchy cereal on top.

6 carascravings July 13, 2010 at 4:53 pm

Looks yum.
I tried overnight oats one time and they made me sick…it may have just been a one time thing, but I have not given them a try since then. I am a little scared to revisit them.

7 Simply Life July 13, 2010 at 4:56 pm

oh that trail mix looks so good!

8 lowandbhold July 13, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Those hangers at Free People are so cute! Sorry the oatmeal was too sweet. I can never get it right.

9 Lauren July 13, 2010 at 5:06 pm

I think if I prep my meal the night before, I get in the mood for it automatically because I think about it all night. This happens to me all the time. If I start to think about a certain food for long enough, then I crave it. For example, if you told me we were having Mexican tomorrow night, I would think about it all day and be SOOOO ready for a burrito at dinnertime!

10 Tamara July 13, 2010 at 5:20 pm

I used to read Genene Roth’s columns in Prevention magazine, which my piano teacher kept on her coffee table. Unfortunately, I don’t have cable TV…I wonder if I can find the snippet elsewhere, like on Hulu.

11 lpskins July 13, 2010 at 5:37 pm

which one was your friend? i don’t remember their names but will remember with a description.

12 Lynn at The Actors Diet July 13, 2010 at 9:23 pm

you can see her at the bottom of this post: http://theactorsdiet.wordpress.com/2010/05/13/lynn-humpy-hump-day/

13 Kate July 13, 2010 at 6:55 pm

you are eating grapefruit from your friend’s backyard?!?!?! tell me again why i live in minnesota?!

i really need to read the geenen roth book. i’ve heard a lot about it and would love to get my hands on it.

14 kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com July 13, 2010 at 7:19 pm

oh i didnt know ur friend was on that episode!! wow!

btw- LOVE that u added whey to ur bar, super nutrition protein <3

15 Ameena July 13, 2010 at 7:22 pm

I’ve never heard of Space 15 Twenty…honestly, you open up a whole new side of LA for me. :)

16 Lynn at The Actors Diet July 13, 2010 at 9:04 pm

You educate me on the westside, and I will show you the wonders of my world too!!!

17 Karla July 13, 2010 at 9:18 pm

Oh I want to see that episode of Oprah. I wish I had a TV! Sounds interesting. I think I could probably benefit from some emotional eating tips these days. Ugh life!

18 Run Sarah July 13, 2010 at 9:38 pm

I don’t do overnight breakfast for the same reason – have to try the instant oats / water /and yogurt combo though, that sounds perfect for warm days.

19 greensandjeans July 13, 2010 at 9:40 pm

I can’t wait for my brother to move back to LA just for the shopping…

20 Efi@greekyogurt July 14, 2010 at 3:56 am

I m like you, I never prepare food because I cook according to my mood.

These hungers are so cute

21 Anna July 14, 2010 at 4:28 am

I want those hangers!!!

I also want to see that Oprah episode!

22 Anne Marie@New Weigh of Life July 14, 2010 at 5:51 am

The breakfast pudding looks awesome!

23 brandi July 14, 2010 at 5:57 am

great idea to just let it sit in the morning!

24 Rosey Rebecca July 14, 2010 at 6:26 am

I love the trail mix bfast pudding thang. :-) I actually wrote a story for the paper about a show that the Oprah Winfrey Network was shooting in town. I think it’s called “Searching For” and it was about a man who found out he had a twin when he was 50 years old, but also found out that his brother had died to aids 2o years before. It was a touching story!

25 theexperfectionist July 14, 2010 at 6:48 am

So that’s what overnight oats are. Oats and yogurt? I’ve never heard it explained. I am not sure I would like that…I will work up the courage to try it one of these days.

26 clairedille July 14, 2010 at 7:06 am

That vintage shop…amazing…I always love looking at the overpriced designer goods…can’t help it!

I’ve heard instant/quick oats are the best ones for recreating the overnight oat type bfast..sounds great!

27 sonia July 14, 2010 at 2:15 pm

mm that breakfast looks good- where do you get Wheetabix?! I can never find it anywhere :(
that dress is hilarious- very Carrie Bradshaw!

28 Lynn at The Actors Diet July 14, 2010 at 2:20 pm

I get my weetabix at trader joes but they should sell it everywhere?!

29 Jammer July 14, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Awesome blog! That cake looks soooo good!

30 MizzJ July 14, 2010 at 11:52 pm