You’re Gonna Love it in an Instant

July 5, 2010

in breakfast, salads

Sorry, Carnation, this isn’t an ad for your product (which I was obsessed with in the 80’s, by the way).

Thanks to Better Oats, I’ve got a ton of flavored instant oatmeal in the house and decided to make some pancakes this morning.

P1180802.JPG

For one serving – combine 1 packet instant oatmeal (I used the Cinnamon Roll flavor) with 1 tsp. baking powder and 1 egg. Cook in a sprayed, nonstick skillet over medium high heat for 2-3 minutes on each side.

Very thick and hearty, and since there’s already sugar in them (or in this case, sucralose) I didn’t really need my usual maple syrup or fruit preserves on top – I chunked up some honeydew on the side for some juiciness/sweetness:

P1180807.JPG

Very quick, filling and satisfying – will be making these again and again (until I run out of packets!)

P1180810.JPG

Most of the day was spent working on a film audition I have later this week – there’s a lot of research/prep to be done on this one, and luckily I’ve got the time!

Lunch was 3 hours post pancake –

P1180823.JPG

P1180818.JPG

Two organic Calimyrna figs too

P1180830.JPG

Yup, I just eat them whole and raw (but not the stem part). A very simple but satisfying meal.

Now I’m off to Christy’s – she’s going to help me rehearse!

1 fitandfortysomething July 5, 2010 at 3:01 pm

oh what a creative way to use the instant oats! hope you had fun with christie!

2 lequan@luvtoeat July 5, 2010 at 3:04 pm

what? another kind of fig? looks like i need to study up on figs if i’m on a fig mission. have fun rehearsing!

3 Simply Life July 5, 2010 at 3:26 pm

great idea with the oats!

4 Serena July 5, 2010 at 3:31 pm

Looks good! Do you think there is any way to make this vegan? :P

5 Lynn at The Actors Diet July 5, 2010 at 11:43 pm

maybe try it with a flax egg – one TB ground flax seeds with 3 TB water?

6 amy dunahee September 6, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I have flax seed, and have been looking for recipes to use it in. would the flax seeds and water give a wierd consistency though?

7 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) July 5, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Good luck with the audition! Is it wrong to say that? I don’t want to jinx you! The pancake looks great! I love oatmeal pancakes and waffles!

8 Anna July 5, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Have fun with Christie! Ha, yes– I too was a HUGE lover of carnation instant breakfast in the eighties. What’s up with that? Their jingle was very effective, I guess! :-)

9 Christina July 5, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Those pancakes look great! Oats are so versatile :)

10 theemptynutjar July 5, 2010 at 4:17 pm

if u put that in the oven…would it turn into a muffin i wonder?

11 vanillasugar July 5, 2010 at 4:19 pm

girl you do a lot of food prep. i’m proud of you. maybe a chef in a past life?

12 Kim July 5, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Mmm, I’m gonna have to try the pancakes like that. Looks good!

13 Lauren July 5, 2010 at 5:07 pm

That is such a great idea to make a pancake out of Instant Oatmeal!!!

14 Cindy July 5, 2010 at 7:14 pm

That is an interesting twist on a pancake. Sounds yummy.
Would you believe that my friends brought Mochi Ice Cream Bon Bons over on my Birthday, the day after your post with the Mochi treats? Funny.

15 MizzJ July 5, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Oh damn, this post made me remember that I forgot to pick up some oatmeal today at the grocer when I was there! I got distracted buying some frozen spinach to make that quick n’ easy spinach with eggs dish you featured awhile back :p

16 Melissa @ For the Love of Health July 5, 2010 at 8:23 pm

Good luck with the auditions!
The salad looks really good, particularly with the shaved Parmesan!

17 Jos July 5, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Finally, I could make a good use of my Quaker Blueberry Instant Oatmeal packets! I have no idea what to do with those when I got these as a gift..haha..thanks for sharing!

18 Monet July 5, 2010 at 10:05 pm

I also have a lot of these packets in my pantry….random boxes from my parents, free samples, ect. I liked seeing your innovation, and I am always happy with pancakes. I hope you have a wonderful day tomorrow love!

19 greensandjeans July 5, 2010 at 10:09 pm

I need to do some fig research!

20 wendy lee July 6, 2010 at 3:55 am

Hey, do you ever use the old-fashioned expression “I don’t give a fig”? You certainly ought to, given your propensity towards figs!
BTW, I got introduced to Carnation Instant Breakfast when I was told that instead of Ensure (which I need on occasion when I’m sick) a packet of C.I.B. has all the same necessary ingredients and you can mix it up in a blender with milk, if you’re not lactose intolerant or soy milk and come up with sort of the same product except it’s cheaper. Otherwise,I’m not a fan.

21 saltytooth July 6, 2010 at 5:12 am

That looks like a massive and delicious pancake!

22 Anne Marie@New Weigh of Life July 6, 2010 at 6:49 am

Good luck on your audition!

23 Aletheia July 6, 2010 at 6:53 am

I don’t think I’ve ever had calimyrna figs before! Alas, I have been deprived! It’s only been black mission for me thusfar. The calimyrna ones are bigger, right? Which ones taste better, oh Fig Master?

Best wishes for your audition–you’re going to rock it! Because I said so. :-)

xo Aletheia

P.S. Your Milk adventure sounded superfun. I don’t think I’d pay 3.75 for a red,white, and blue cupcake though. :P

24 Lynn at The Actors Diet July 6, 2010 at 1:28 pm

The green ones are less sweet, though equally delicious! I honestly don’t think I could tell the difference in a blind taste test.

25 anutritionisteats July 6, 2010 at 10:27 am

Love the idea of using oats like that!! I have some that I need to use up too!

26 theexperfectionist July 6, 2010 at 10:17 pm

Mmm I love making oatmeal pancakes. But I’ve never done it with instant before. Great idea!