In the Heights

July 3, 2010

in coupon, los angeles area interests, restaurant, soup/stew, theatre

Finally went to go see a show last night that we’ve been waiting forever to see -

P1180567.JPG

“In the Heights” was created by Lin-Manuel Miranda, and started off in its earliest stages at Wesleyan, the college Abe and I attended. He was a few years younger than us, but we’re good friends/friends of friends of some of the people who directed/produced the musical (more Wesleyan!) and have watched from afar as it developed and exploded into the raging success it is today.

I used to see musicals all the time, growing up around/living in NYC but this was my first one in Los Angeles. The Pantages is a beautiful old theatre in the heart of Hollywood. We got great discount orchestra seats via Goldstar but climbed up to the balcony to snap a few photos of the majestic lobby:

P1180580.JPG

There’s a concessions stand that sells mostly overpriced sweets – big boxes of candy and packaged pastries for about $4 – $6. You can bring them in with you to your seat (but not your camera!)

P1180585.JPG

I wasn’t hungry enough for a meal before we left so I packed my own snacks – an organic yellow plum (that I ate before the show began) and a Spirulina Ginseng Nut Butter Ball during the 15-minute intermission.

P1180559.JPG

The show was seriously amazing – the best musical I’ve seen in a decades. Totally inspiring to witness people from our school achieve this level of artistic greatness, and the fact that they’re recognized for their incredible talents is emotional and uplifting. We got nostalgic for NYC and Washington Heights too, even the heat waves and the black outs!

Go, Wes!

P1180574.JPG

After the show we headed across the street to the new W hotel/residences

P1180595.JPG

Abe wanted to show me the rooftop bar that he went to a few weeks ago, but there was a long line to get in. Not really our scene. Plus, I wanted food. So we went to one of the hotel’s restaurants, Delphine, instead.

P1180642.JPG

Unlike the rest of the hotel, the bistro wasn’t busy. It was gorgeous, and the service was terrific – very friendly and laid back.

P1180647.JPG

It was already 11pm and I wanted to get dessert, but nothing on the menu sounded appealing so I ordered the Onion Soup Gratinee instead.

P1180611.JPG

They brought us a basket of bread

P1180619.JPG

One was multigrain, and one was cheese-flavored. Both were incredible. I had double of what was on this plate:

P1180622.JPG

And a bite of Abe’s fries (perfectly seasoned and crisp)

P1180626.JPG

My soup totally hit the spot – cheese-y, bread-y, and broth-y.

P1180628.JPG

I ate the whole thing, but gave Abe half of the cheese layer so he could make his fries fancy.

The couple at the next table noticed I kept taking photos of my food and asked if we wanted to have one of us together. How sweet is that?

P1180640.JPG

A really fun date night – totally out of our “norm.”

What’s your favorite musical? I am obsessed with old-school ones like “Guys and Dolls,” “Bye Bye Birdie,” and all the Rodgers and Hammerstein shows but “In the Heights” is changing my mind about the modern musical!

Delphine on Urbanspoon

1 Ameena July 3, 2010 at 11:07 am

I took Maya to the Pantages to see The Grinch Who Stole Christmas…it was SO great and she still talks about it 6 months later.

You look pretty Lynn! As always.

2 squigglefloey July 3, 2010 at 12:43 pm

Aww. You and the husband are adorable!! What nationality is he? What beautiful kids you will make!!
Btw, I stumbled upon the “White on Rice” trailer. Looked reallllyyy good, however, I was checking on Youtube to see if they had the full movie, which they didn’t. Any suggestions on where I might be able to find em?

xoxo Floey

3 Lynn at The Actors Diet July 3, 2010 at 2:44 pm

“white on rice” is currently available on demand on cable and also via itunes: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewMovie?id=375581890&s=143441&uo=4&partnerId=30&siteID=TnL5HPStwNw-i11sxISJPJNyc67oxAwYhQ

and you can also watch it on amazon….but you have to pay for it!

4 Rosey Rebecca July 3, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Sounds like a great date night!! Glad you had fun! The pic of you two is so cute.

5 Hallie July 3, 2010 at 1:56 pm

Aww, glad you had fun! I love all musicals really, but my favorite is Les Mis.

6 Monet July 3, 2010 at 1:59 pm

What an amazing evening! I’ve only heard great things about that musical. And your onion cheese soup looked divine! That has to be one of my most favorite indulgences. There is a lovely french bakery in Colorado that makes killer French onion soup. I am going to need to take a trip there soon!

7 Emily July 3, 2010 at 2:17 pm

I am a huge fan of musicals, and I’d love to see In the Heights, although my favorite musical of all time is Les Miserables (I think I have seen it at least 3-4 times!)…I always listen to it on roadtrips and have had the soundtrack memorized since oh, 5th grade. :-)

You and Abe are such a beautiful couple!

8 Lynn at The Actors Diet July 3, 2010 at 2:47 pm

les miz is one of my favorites too – i actually remembered one of the cast member of “in the heights” from when i saw her play “eponine” on broadway!

9 Evan Thomas July 3, 2010 at 2:17 pm

The first musical I ever saw(and the only one I really have liked) was Rent

10 maxinthegym July 3, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Ooh I think I’ve been to that theater when I was, like, 8 or so to watch The Lion King! The interior looks really familiar!

I love Wicked :)

And that onion soup looks amazing! Like a fondue pot hahaha glad you had such a fun night!

11 Melissa @ For the Love of Health July 3, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Looks like a lovely evening! I LOVE musicals! The one I loved the most was Aida- hands down! It was just sooooooo good! My bf really wants to see the Frank Sinatra one in NYC so I hope to surprise him with that as a gift sometime.
Check out my blog for my giveaway :-)

12 Lauren July 3, 2010 at 2:35 pm

I saw Les Mis on Broadway and fell in love! What a great night out. You guys are so Hollywood! ;)

13 Simply Life July 3, 2010 at 3:01 pm

so glad the show was great! I always bring my own snacks and can’t justify paying that much for snacks!

14 Cindy July 3, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Finally! A picture with you AND Abe in it together. ;-) That soup looks divine. Love that one. You’ve been Frenching it a bit lately.

For me, “Rent”. I had seats 8 rows back, and I think the entire cast was having an ‘on’ night. The energy was amazing. I, however, prefer, a good play over a musical most of the time. Love live theater!

15 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) July 3, 2010 at 4:06 pm

What a great night! You too look so sweet together. I have to say my all time favorite musical is Grease, but Mary Poppins has a special place in my heart!

16 vanillasugar July 3, 2010 at 4:51 pm

oh i love old school musicals. i’m an old fart so i loved the days of the original chorus line, cats, etc..
although rent was really good too.

17 Courtney July 3, 2010 at 5:14 pm

You two are so cute!
I’ve heard really great things about that show – I’d love to go see it one of these days. My 2 favorite musicals are Chicago & Beauty and the Beast.

18 thehungryscholar July 3, 2010 at 6:28 pm

You two are the cutest couple ever. I love his glasses!

19 fitandfortysomething July 3, 2010 at 7:10 pm

oh i love this post! it looks like you had a fabulous evening. i have been to the W and it is gorgeous. My fav musical is Phantom-hands down-loved it :)

20 wendy lee July 3, 2010 at 7:10 pm

We were fortunate enough to see “In The Heights” during its initial run in NYC. It was truly wonderful. Afterwards we all went to Washington Heights to visit the apt. building my husband and his brother lived in when they were very little.
Pretty picture of your date night!

21 Lexa July 3, 2010 at 7:22 pm

There’s a really huge Wesleyan–Hollywood connection (although I guess this is more Wesleyan–Broadway!).

I had a really great Salad Nicoise at the Delphine just after it opened. And yes, you are a lovely couple!

22 Becki @ HikeBikeEat July 3, 2010 at 7:32 pm

The only professional musical I’ve ever seen was Cats. I think I need a better experience…

I love fancy fries! If they’re wrapped in paper, they’re real!

23 Abby July 4, 2010 at 9:32 am

Ahhh! I’ve only been to NY twice (and for work) but had the chance to see “In The Heights” the last time I was there…amazing! I seriously was just in awe, as I’ve always been a huge fan of musicals but had never seen anything on Broadway before. Totally blew me away.

Other than that, I love Les Mis (I’ve known every word to every song by heart since I was 8.)

24 lowandbhold July 4, 2010 at 9:48 am

I don’t really tend to get into musicals, but I think it would be totally cool to see one live. Your dinner looks great too!

25 janetha b July 4, 2010 at 11:23 pm

awe cute couple!

26 lequan@luvtoeat July 5, 2010 at 11:54 am

Aww, cute picture of you and Abe. You both look great; such a cute couple.

I love date nights!

27 Melanie July 20, 2010 at 3:15 pm

I love your slanted photos of fries and tiles! Those tiles were custom design by Zeff Design and were produced by Granada Tile. They are made of handpoured cement the old fashioned way. Because they are pressed and not fired, they are environmentally friendly too. If you care to check out other tiled establishments with yummy food and drink, try Intelligentsia Coffeebar in Silver Lake, Bouchon Restaurant in Beverly Hills, and Terranea Resort in Palos Verdes. Cheers!