Heigh-Ho, Heigh-Ho

June 23, 2010

in acting, art/gallery/museums, restaurant

It’s back to work I go!

Finding my next project is as much a part of my career as actually standing in front of the camera. In fact, it’s probably 95% of my job! Thankfully, I’ve got a number of potential things brewing – getting a film actually made is no easy feat so it’s best to have a whole bunch of possibilities lined up in case things fall through (they usually do).

I had a couple of scripts to start on last night so I made us a quick dinner -

P1170585.JPG

Gnocchi ‘n’ Eggs – same recipe as before, only this time I added some frozen peas while I cooked the pasta and used 2 eggs + 1/3 cup of egg whites that are expiring soon. Still creamy and delicious and I’m wondering why I don’t make this more often.

For dessert, organic rainier cherries with some No Pudge Brownie pulled out of the freezer

P1170599.JPG

Hot Cocoa while reading

P1170603.JPG

I had an early lunch meeting this afternoon to discuss a few more future possibilities – we met downtown in Little Tokyo and went to Izayoi.

I got the bento box, which was basically a taste of everything.

Salad with ginger dressing and miso soup…

P1170615.JPG

…shrimp and veggie tempura…

P1170631.JPG

…sashimi…

P1170634.JPG

…seaweed salad…

P1170623.JPG

…more fish (cooked)…

P1170625.JPG

…chawanmushi (a savory steamed egg custard)…

P1170628.JPG

…and rice!

P1170639.JPG

P1170636.JPG

I ate basically everything (it all rocked) and about 1/3 of the rice, leaving perfectly stuffed. I gotta have Japanese food for brunch more often – I felt so energized afterwards!

The meeting left me feeling pumped as well – I’m excited about the upcoming prospects, including some collaborations on script ideas.

I popped into the Japanese American National Museum to check out their latest exhibit, “Mixed.”

P1170655.JPG

P1170643.JPG

P1170642.JPG

P1170645.JPG

P1170647.JPG

P1170649.JPG

P1170651.JPG

I love wandering around museums by myself. I used to do this all the time and should get back in the habit.

Since I was in the ‘hood, I also did some Japanese Food Shopping.

P1170660.JPG

I got some soba noodles, bok choy, and this package of ramen -

P1170663.JPG

Very intrigued by this non-fried/no MSG option. We’ll see if it’s as tasty as my beloved Cup O’ Chemical Noodles. Doubtful.

How was work for you today?

Izayoi on Urbanspoon

1 brittany June 23, 2010 at 2:58 pm

bored at work today! Seems like it would be HARD to find the work… ahhh smart lady line them up : )!!!! No pudge brownies MY FAVORITE!!! (do you use non fat vanilla greek yogurt as well? my sister uses applesauce!)

2 Lynn at The Actors Diet June 24, 2010 at 12:14 am

I’ve used yogurt, both plain and vanilla, and applesauce and pumpkin and even just water! It all works!

3 kathleen June 23, 2010 at 3:31 pm

I, too, am a fan of the Nijiya Market. I like to get napa, sea weeds and asian pears there.

4 Ameena June 23, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Work was never-ending and yet the day flew by. It is nearly time to get Maya and start my second job!

5 serena June 23, 2010 at 3:55 pm

Wow that’s a great spread for a bento box! I’ve tried those green noodles before, but I couldn’t tell the difference w/or w/o MSG. http://bit.ly/b6Hu3c

6 Kim June 23, 2010 at 4:08 pm

Work has been BUSY today, thanks for asking ;) It’s good because the day goes by fast, but I do get a little stressed/amped up. I always just look forward to my home time — cooking, talking to my husband, hanging with the cats, watching DVDs. Sweet relief!

By the way, I love those No Pudge brownies out of the freezer!

7 Stacy (StacyGrowsHealthy) June 23, 2010 at 4:10 pm

Good luck with the upcoming projects! That gnocchi looks fantastic.

8 Simply Life June 23, 2010 at 4:41 pm

oh that tempura looks so good!

9 lequan@luvtoeat June 23, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Oh my gosh, I think mixed babies/kids/people are BEAUTIFUL! My best friend’s son and her sister’s children are mixed and they are the most beautiful kids (other than mine of course lol). And her other sister is married to an East Indian man. Can’t wait to see their children (Vietnamese East Indian). Oh and I just realised when/if you and Abe decide to have kids they’re gonna be mixed too…so jealous. Guess it’s too late for me now huh? Teehee. Have a great day!

10 Blessedhi5ive June 23, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Museum visits are fun. I’d like to do that more often too. The japanese style egg-mushroom custard looks very interesting. As for work – hmm – am in the ER with my father since morning 11:30ish. He is stable for now. Prayers please! So that’s all the work I could manage today. The vacation is really over.

11 Lauren June 23, 2010 at 5:33 pm

So happy that today is over and tomorrow is one day closer to the weekend! Bento Boxes rock! It’s a great option when you don’t know what to get but want everything! :)

Hope your week is well Lynn.

12 Anna June 23, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Cool exhibit! I used to love those No Pudge brownies…I need to start buying that mix again!

13 wendy lee June 23, 2010 at 6:15 pm

I had a good but challenging workday today. After over 30 years at this career it feels good to be presented with new issues.
Good luck with your new potential projects!

14 squigglefloey June 23, 2010 at 6:43 pm

Omg, I feel like I need to go to that exhibit!
I’m not japenese, but I am mixed! haha…those pics must be adorable!
AnywhoOo, I used to love bento boxes, but after the “ed/no fried foods/i’m so restrictive” I stopped eating it, but I’ve been eating rice again and I don’t have much of an objection to tempura anymore–so I might be good to go sooner or later.
Goodluck on the upcoming projects, your job sounds similar to being a writer, always writing, trying to get published, always looking for a project…I feel ya!

Strong strong lovely :)

Floey

15 kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com June 23, 2010 at 6:45 pm

oh work was good, it involved sun tanning, blogging, and napping. haha lol.

xoxo <3

16 thehungryscholar June 23, 2010 at 7:18 pm

I’m glad work is going well.

I’m a grad student so I have summers off, kind of. I have to start reading soon.

17 aletheiazoe June 23, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Work was awesome! I finally finished the illustrations and the presentation I was hired to draw for!! It feels AMAZING!

Your Japanese brunch looks scrumptious. I’m particularly intrigued by the savory egg custard with mushroom. I think I’m going to make that soon because it gets the culinary gears in my mind going, and that’s when I know I should be making it. :-D

I also think wandering around museums is great. It’s great to have a place that can both stimulate both creativity and thought, at the same time as let you get lost in nothingness for a while. :-)

18 Monet June 23, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Work was great. Very busy and flew by, which is always wonderful. Your gnocchi dish looks spectacular, so rich and creamy! I would love to sit down to a bowl of that for dinner. I’m exhausted now after a long walk with my sweet husband, but reading your post brought a smile to my face!

19 theexperfectionist June 23, 2010 at 9:19 pm

Oh I love miso soup. :) So comforting. Work today was BUSY. I was a little stressed. I love my Wednesdays: Zumba + Swimming. It takes the edge off of stress at work.

20 greensandjeans June 23, 2010 at 9:26 pm

I’ve heard great things about the Mixed exhibit!

21 Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) June 23, 2010 at 10:28 pm

That gnocchi and eggs looks amazing! I love adding frozen peas to just about everything. They’re so tasty and I love the little crunch they make.

Work? What’s that? lol

Jenn

22 Becki @ HikeBikeEat June 23, 2010 at 10:34 pm

I LOVE gnocchi! I seem to find that everything I’m put on avail for falls through… Gotta find some way to fix that. For now, I’ll blog, cook and brew :)

23 MizzJ June 23, 2010 at 11:40 pm

Ooh gnocci! I’m gonna check this out stat. I’ve never seen a Japanese seaweed salad look so dark! Was it just the camera or were they using a very dark seaweed?

24 Lynn at The Actors Diet June 24, 2010 at 12:12 am

I believe this was hijiki seaweed, which is black.

25 Jen Cheung June 24, 2010 at 1:33 am

oh my my my! i love japanese food! Can’t get enough it. I prefer to eat it every day if i could! Im craving for it already :(

26 lowandbhold June 24, 2010 at 5:24 am

Sounds like you have a lot of excitement in store!

Work for me yesterday was pretty standard, but I bought a coffee pot for my desk so that kind of brigtened my day, haha.

27 Anne Marie@New Weigh of Life June 24, 2010 at 6:12 am

Gnocchi and eggs….oh my does that sound fabulous!

28 Sorell Says... June 24, 2010 at 9:14 am

So impressed with your hustle!! Gosh you keep busy. Do you search out and submit yourself as well as your agent?

I am going to try this place for a Japanese brunch…it looks delicious!!

29 Lynn at The Actors Diet June 24, 2010 at 11:12 am

I do keep on top of the breakdowns but for the most part a lot of these projects are coming out of the woodwork (luckily/randomly)! But I’m also actively taking meetings w people I know socially who are producers/writers/directors and seeing what they’re working on that I can get involved in too.

30 SinoSoul June 24, 2010 at 5:26 pm

always forget about how much we enjoy Izayoi. Gotta be better than the stuff we had at Spitz. Ick. ICCCK! Glad Nijiya is still around, cuz Mitsuwa is totally a Korean market now.. :sadface:

31 clairedille June 25, 2010 at 3:50 pm

I completely agree…any time you aren’t working in the film/tv industry, you are searching for the next project! That was most of my winter! I’m glad to hear you have some prospects…most of the time it really is about who you know, isn’t it?

Work for me today was breaking down the script cause prep starts Monday! I don’t know why I am kind of nervous…