Prado

June 10, 2010

in leftover recipe, restaurant, salads

I’m lucky to live just up the street from a really dear friend of mine, Katie.  We were actors at NiteStar, (the same NYC theater company where I met Christy) and last night the three of us had mini-reunion plans.

Unfortunately, Christy wound up being unable to join us (she worked a print job all day and had to pick her husband up from the airport) so it was just Katie and me. And that’s when we realized that, in the decade we’ve known each other, we hadn’t eaten in a restaurant together alone! Plenty of group meals, double dates with our husbands, and even lunch with her baby (who just turned one) but never just the two of us.

I finally had a date-y with Katie!

We walked into Larchmont and over to Prado.

P1160343.JPG

I actually love this place – Abe and I used to eat here all the time, but for some reason we haven’t gone in forever. That kinda boggles my mind – the food is great, the prices aren’t too outrageous, it’s a nice ambiance, within walking distance….I really have no idea why it’s been so long. I figured this out when I realized I hadn’t blogged about it before, and since “The Actor’s Diet” birthday is coming up tomorrow, it’s been at least a year since my last visit.

Well, Prado, I’m here for ya now! I usually sit outside (with Julius) but we dined indoors last night. I love the eclectic furniture in there…

P1160346.JPG

…and the beautiful painted ceiling and chandelier….

P1160347.JPG

…but mostly, I love the food! We asked for 2 orders of this warm, crusty bread, which comes with herby olive oil on the side. I ate about 3 hunks of this with some dip.

P1160353.JPG

There are a lot of amazing things on the menu (everything from plantains to pasta to pizza) but my favorite dish of all is their Caribbean Cobb, which may be one of the best salads in Los Angeles (that’s going to be my next list!)

P1160363.JPG

The menu describes it as “about 20 ingredients from lettuces, vegetables, grains and fruits.” I’ve never been able to identify all twenty, but the stuff that stands out are the lettuce mix, avocado, apple, tomato, and rice, all chopped to the perfect size and texture. Both Katie and I ordered it with grilled chicken for an extra $2, and I wound up giving her my cheese since I’m not a brie fan.

The salad is so flavorful that I actually never use any of the dressing that comes on the side. I ate about 3/4 of it to save a little room for dessert.

We walked down the street for self-serve frozen yogurt. I always pile the fruit in first -

P1160369.JPG

Then top with yogurt (this is the Coconut/Nutella mix) and mini nonpareils

P1160379.JPG

It’s so much easier to mix up this way, without fruit flying all over the place (like it does at Pinkberry). I was pretty stuffed when I was done with the yogurt, and grateful for the walk home to help digest.

Is there a restaurant you used to frequent but haven’t been to in a while? How about a friend you’ve known forever but have never had a dinner date with?

Lots of odds and ends to do today – I start shooting tomorrow morning so there are a bunch of things I need to do in preparation…in other exciting news, “White on Rice” is now available to download on itunes!

Prado on Urbanspoon

1 Anna June 10, 2010 at 10:19 am

Not a brie fan?!? That’s crazy! :-)

That salad looks great! I love the ceiling pic!

2 lequan@luvtoeat June 10, 2010 at 10:43 am

Omg, your dessert! :-P

There aren’t many restaurants I don’t frequent. Once I find a good restaurant I go there lots, I’m a piggy like that ;-)

Love having lunch/dinner with just 2 people. The conversation is so much better!

3 saltytooth June 10, 2010 at 10:49 am

We should be friends because I would be happy to take your brie for you!

4 Lynn at The Actors Diet June 10, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Do you like blue cheese too? Because I will happily hand that over too!

5 Kim June 10, 2010 at 10:59 am

Mmm, looks good! Great idea to compile a “Best of” list for salads! I’m not a fan of brie either…

I think I’ve lunched alone with most of my friends since I tend to do one-on-one dates. I don’t really like big, group dates because I can’t hear (or be heard… I’m a little quiet).

There’s a restaurant I love down here called Rutabegorz…and I don’t think I’ve been in over a year. Good reminder!

6 Cindy June 10, 2010 at 11:03 am

Haven’t been to my favorite Thai restaurant in a while. My schedule changed which made it more difficult, got tired of fighting with the parking, saving money and not eating out as much, and now don’t live in that specific area. Miss it. It is the best in the area. Simple, but the fullest flavors. Time to head back.

Your salad looks great! I’ll happily eat the brie.

7 vanillasugar June 10, 2010 at 11:33 am

i love a good walk after a full meal…it really helps with the digest. yes i know everyone knows this, but sometimes people aren’t motivated to walk after eating, but it does help. another great thing about living in cali, you can walk home (well most times & everyone does love to drive)

8 sophia June 10, 2010 at 11:35 am

Mmm…the menu sounds fantastic! I’ll have to see if I can visit this place sometime! I can’t believe you don’t like brie…it’s my favorite cheese! :D

9 wendy lee June 10, 2010 at 11:49 am

My husband hates brie; I love it. Maybe that’s what has kept us together for 40 years!!!!!

10 fitandfortysomething June 10, 2010 at 11:54 am

so sad that i have not tried pink berry yet…..

11 lowandbhold June 10, 2010 at 12:25 pm

I like to put the fruit in the bottom too, it’s just easier that way.

12 Monet June 10, 2010 at 12:26 pm

I love when restaurants serve warm crusty bread…but I’m sure you could have guessed that! And your yogurt looks scrumptious. So many yummy items in one cute bowl!

13 Christina June 10, 2010 at 12:34 pm

I used to go to Stir Crazy ALOT but haven’t gone since I met you there! I think I kinda got bored of ordering the same thing everything. Now maybe its been long enough that I should go back.

14 Simply Life June 10, 2010 at 1:55 pm

oh my gosh, I think I could just eat that bread for dinner!

15 Brittany June 10, 2010 at 2:11 pm

I dont go to LA that often but next time I am down there I am going to have to check it out! thank you! (wow the salad I had for lunch was nothing compared to that!)

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

16 Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) June 10, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Oh how I miss frozen yogurt! YUM! I love walking after eating a filling meal. It really does help with digestion. I am a huge fan of flavorful salads that don’t need dressing! That is a perfect salad! Good luck on set tomorrow…or should I say break a leg?

17 Ameena June 10, 2010 at 3:48 pm

We should meet up at this place next time…plantains are one of my favorite things to eat. I actually never get over to Larchmont, I don’t think I’ve been since my Paramount Pictures days.

18 Lynn at The Actors Diet June 10, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Yes ma’am!

19 Stacy (StacyGrowsHealthy) June 10, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Since having my son we don’t go out to restaurants as much. So pretty much any fancy place I haven’t been to in about 2 and a half years. So sad!

20 Julienne June 10, 2010 at 6:49 pm

Yes, one restaurant I love here in Honolulu is called Taormina, a Sicilian restaurant owned by a Japanese chef. My husband and I celebrate our anniversary on a monthly basis there a lot but it’s been a while since we’ve gone there b/c we’ve been trying out other restaurants we’ve never been to before. You’ll have to try Taormina if you’re ever in town. :) I don’t like brie/blue cheese either. ;) Safe travels tomorrow — will be praying for you.

21 lpskins June 10, 2010 at 7:11 pm

i always eat the whole pod….

22 Leah @ Why Deprive? June 10, 2010 at 7:38 pm

There is this fabulous pub right up the street from me. I used to go there all the time. Like, multiple times a week. I loved it there. I havent been in months, and before that it had been years. Of course, that may be because I caused a giant scene there a few years back after a few too many drinks. Hopefully they’ve forgotten about it by now!

23 Courtney June 10, 2010 at 7:42 pm

Your entire meal looks absolutely AWESOME!! ESPECIALLY the fro-yo! I really need to have a self-serve fro-yo near me….actually, wait, that could be dangerous! ;)