Lynn – Great Harvest is Grrrreat!

May 18, 2010

in bakeries/cafes/dessert places

I have never been as excited for a doctor’s appointment as I was this morning – her office is in Pasadena, just minutes away from the newly opened…

P1140801.JPG

Great Harvest is a large franchise with bakeries/cafes all over the country. This Pasadena location is the only one within reasonable driving distance from me in Los Angeles. I’ve been hearing about their breads for years on other food blogs, particularly Kath’s (since she is planning on opening one). Expectations were very high – and I’m happy to report that they were met!

The woman who worked at the front couldn’t have been more knowledgeable and friendly. She gave us some samples from the bread bar.

P1140802.JPG

I hadn’t eaten breakfast so I was quite hungry and grateful for the generous portions. Abe and I split the Dakota bread…

P1140803.JPG

…and their bestselling Cinnamon Chip (still warm!)

P1140804.JPG

They have jam and butter out to spread on it, but I just ate them straight up.

P1140815.JPG

Holy Mackerel. So fresh and delicious – some of the best bread I can remember eating in a long time. I was practically bouncing off the walls with anticipation for the sandwiches we ordered. Luckily the place isn’t too big so I settled down quickly and waited.

P1140805.JPG

I ordered a “Mile High Rye Panini” – except there wasn’t rye bread so I chose the 9-grain. This had smoked turkey and roast beef with red onion, romaine, tomato, and roasted garlic/dill spread. I left off the swiss cheese.

P1140814.JPG

Hit. The. Spot.

A bite of Abe’s egg and cheese on Honey Wheat, also terrific:

P1140816.JPG

Our sandwiches came with a little side of pickles and an Andes chocolate mint (how old skool!)

P1140811.JPG

I saved the chocolate for later and got a loaf of 9-grain to go. My friend at the cash register also threw in a free Chocolate Bliss cookie!

Sooooo insanely happy with my first Great Harvest experience – I can’t wait to go back.

And look how perfect they are for the actor’s diet:

P1140819.JPG

Have you been to a Great Harvest before?

Great Harvest Bread Co. on Urbanspoon

1 Matt May 18, 2010 at 1:20 pm

We don’t have any of those down here :( I LOVE bread so it makes me sad…

2 wendy lee May 18, 2010 at 1:23 pm

I was at a Great Harvest in Newton Centre, MA when I was visiting my sister. It was particularly memorable because it was a while ago when it was more difficult to find a variety of whole grain breads ,which I prefer. Also, there were all sorts of freebies and tastes and that suits me just fine. I will try to find out whether or not there are any near Philly.

3 Simply Life May 18, 2010 at 1:23 pm

wow, great panini choice! Gosh I think that would get me excited to go to the dr. too! :)

4 janetha May 18, 2010 at 1:24 pm

mmmmm i LOVE great harvest! i ate their daily in high school. bread makes a great lunch, hah.

5 luvtoeat May 18, 2010 at 1:47 pm

We would be so lucky to have something like that here. Those sandwiches look so good.

6 Kim May 18, 2010 at 1:50 pm

I’ve never been to a GreatHarvest, though I’ve heard great things. I love good bread! Through everything, I’ve never feared the carbs ;)

7 theemptynutjar May 18, 2010 at 2:09 pm

Not sure it is Canada – I assume not.
But I see it on KERF all the time (her hubby works there and they plan to open their own place which sounds so …neat).
It looks really good.

8 Evan Thomas May 18, 2010 at 3:04 pm

I’ve had their dakota bread; it’s pretty good!

9 Anna May 18, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Man, I LOVE great harvests!! We had one in the city I went to grad school in (in Indiana), and I miss it so much! Their fiber bread is SO tasy.

10 Melissa @ For the Love of Health May 18, 2010 at 3:16 pm

I was in bread heaven looking at your photos :-)
I don’t even know if they have those in Canada- I don’t think so because I have never seen them (and I’m a foodie and def watch out for places like that haha)
Have a great night!

11 kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com May 18, 2010 at 3:19 pm

no but I WOULD KILL TO GO! wow!!! <3

12 whydeprive May 18, 2010 at 3:26 pm

This place sounds awesome!! Your panini looks so good its almost not fair! :)

13 Susan May 18, 2010 at 3:32 pm

Oh my goodness I am so jealous! Any place with bread that looks like THAT is a place that needs to come to my ‘hood!

14 blessedHi5ive May 18, 2010 at 3:41 pm

The breads look really good. I don’t know if there is Great Harvest in the Bay Area. Will have to check it out. The Dakota would be one I’d love to try. Thanks for the review.

15 Ameena May 18, 2010 at 4:36 pm

I have never tried it and if Pasadena were closer I would definitely remedy that! Maybe one of these days.

16 kath May 18, 2010 at 5:10 pm

They have such a cool location!!! Hope ours will be that cool :)

17 Light Delight with Tou Tou May 18, 2010 at 5:35 pm

I have read about this Great harvest bread company before – luck you! you got everything in LA!!! The hand-made bread always taste so different from those from bigger franchise :-D I like that Dakota bread – looks like they are really generous in mixing lots lots lots of seeds and nuts in it , my favorite type of bread, he he :-D

18 Megan @ The Oatmeal Diaries May 18, 2010 at 6:16 pm

How have I never been to one of these?! Wow. I need to find one near me asap!
Oh and thanks for the heads up on the TJ’s pizza; I’ll try that next time :)

19 Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) May 18, 2010 at 6:19 pm

We don’t have a GH around here but I LOVED the bread that Kath sent me. So GOOD!

That sandwich looks amazing. I probably would have ordered the same thing. :)

Jenn

20 Justine May 18, 2010 at 6:53 pm

That place looks like bread heaven! We have a similar place in my city where they bake fresh bread and cookies. They have a little bread bar and everything! There is nothing better than the smell of bread. :)

21 Amber's notebook May 18, 2010 at 7:32 pm

So jealous!! I want to check out a Great Harvest!

22 Carrie (Love Healthy Living) May 18, 2010 at 8:08 pm

Very cool. I have not yet been to a Great Harvest but appreciate the head’s up on the location in South Pas. Will check it out the next time I’m in town!

23 greensandjeans May 18, 2010 at 9:00 pm

I grew up a couple blocks away from a Great Harvest. Their cookies are To. Die. For.

24 Christina May 19, 2010 at 2:26 am

I don’t think there’s one near me but I really wish there was – That dakota bread looks so good!

25 Teri [a foodie stays fit] May 19, 2010 at 4:34 am

I love Great Harvest but they don’t have any locations near where I live now. :(

26 lowandbhold May 19, 2010 at 4:49 am

Ahhh so jealous! I am dying to visit a Great Harvest.

27 brandi May 19, 2010 at 5:03 am

ah, so jealous! We don’t have a Great Harvest here, but their breads sound so, so good!

28 clairedille May 19, 2010 at 8:31 am

There is one close to me that I used to go to but thanks for reminding me I must soon!

29 Monet May 19, 2010 at 10:00 am

Don’t you just love that store? One opened by my house a few months ago…and I stopped by almost every day to buy a cup of coffee, and of course, try a slice of bread. I love the traditional honey whole wheat, but each time I go in, I find a new bread that I adore. Thanks for sharing and your sweet comments mean a lot to me!

30 katecooks May 19, 2010 at 11:31 am

maybe one day i will get to pasadena and this location!!! apparently GH has a stand at the brentwood farmers market on sundays but i’ve never been there early enough to get the good stuff :)

31 Debbie May 19, 2010 at 11:46 am

Matt (Kath’s hubby) shared this blog post — thanks for all the nice comments about Great Harvest! I work at the home office and this will link you to our site locator so that everyone looking for a Great Harvest near you can check it out. Thanks again!

32 Matt May 19, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Hey Lynn! I’d love to see some more pictures of the store next time you visit because we like how modern it looks! We might have to take some inspiration for ourselves!

33 vanillasugar May 20, 2010 at 6:53 am

love it. hit the spot indeed.

34 Allyson May 22, 2010 at 5:29 pm

I absolutely love their bread. I eat there every week. Stop by and you won’t be disappointed! Thanks for your blog post!