Lynn – Fashion at Macy’s, Noodles at Bloomingdale’s

May 15, 2010

in restaurant

After some dreams involving puppies (is there anything better?!) I hung out in bed til late this morning, did 30 minutes of lazy upper body conditioning while watching guilty MTV (“The Hills”/”The City”) and around 11am, grilled a leftover shepherd’s pie patty (I kept them in the freezer) wrapped in a French Meadow Sprouted Grain Tortilla.

P1140750.JPG

I’ve been eating a lot of brunches lately, have you noticed that? I’ve been having my evening snack around 11 or midnight, right before bed, so I’m never really hungry til 12 hours later, and by then I’m in the mood for savory food.

Some strawberries and peppermint tea too….

P1140755.JPG

I did my hair/makeup for the Macy’s event and packed a snack for later – an organic apple and some Sahale BBQ almonds/Beach Bash trail mix. It took a little more than an hour to drive down to Costa Mesa.

P1140761.JPG

I did wind up eating the apple while I waited around for the event to start, but the trail mix went untouched.

Macy’s did a really good job with the event….

…there was a pretty great crowd:

It kicked off with a dragon dance…

Then I took the stage with Michelle Ngo, Fashion Director at Skinnie Magazine.

I was supposed to only interview her about fashion stuff, but she turned the tables around and started asking ME questions too!

I was not prepared for that! Good thing she didn’t ask me any fashion-related questions. Although I think I looked pretty sharp in the outfit dress goddess gave me (yes, I already wore this two weeks ago – I’m getting my mileage out of it!!!).

After I was done “working,” Abe and I had a super early dinner at Anqi, located inside the Bloomingdale’s on the other side of the South Coast Plaza mall.

I’d heard about this place from “The Best Thing I Ever Ate.” This is actually a new sister restaurant to the one featured on The Food Network (Crustacean, in Beverly Hills) but during the day it has a much smaller (and cheaper) “Noodle Bar” menu. Two chefs operate in the outside kitchen by the bar while the back kitchen preps for dinner service.

Lucky for us, this menu has their famous garlic noodles, the ones highlighted in the episode.

I’ll be honest, they didn’t look as pretty as I’d expected…

…you can’t tell in the photos because Abe’s camera makes everything appear 10x better, but they were both greasy AND dry-looking at the same time.

But my Lord, they tasted great. Insanely good, actually. Abe described it like “eating garlic bread in pasta form.” I agree – each strand of noodle was infused with butter and garlic and ???? There are a bunch of recipe theories online. A lot of them sound like garlic bread ingredients, indeed.

Slurp.

Equally underwhelming in appearance were the Wok Tofu and Assorted Seasonal Vegetables, which were almost gelatinous:

Unfortunately, they weren’t as good as the garlic noodles. They were just okay – I did like the texture of the tofu and the crispness of the veggies, but the sauce was just meh.

Back in Los Angeles we rewarded ourselves for sitting in traffic by stopping by our favorite gelato place, Scoops. As usual, I tried a sample of two intriguing sounding non-soy flavors (Red Velvet Cake and Goat Cheese Fig) before getting two vegan ones – Cream Cheese Oreo and Maple Almond.

P1140771.JPG

Abe went vegan too – Coffee Molasses and Vanilla Chocolate (INSANELY delicious) – he added chocolate sprinkles.

P1140773.JPG

Mid-way through mine I added some too (they’re free!)

P1140776.JPG

I always get a kick out of their flavor suggestion board:

P1140777.JPG

It’s only 9pm – I will definitely be having another snack before bed! Probably some fruit and a hemp milk hot chocolate.

How was your Saturday?

AnQi on Urbanspoon

1 Serena May 15, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Oh goodness I love anything wrapped in a tortilla! So yum. <3

Those noodles look fantastic, by the way. When I was little my favorite noodle dish was just plain fettucini with LOADS of butter and shaved parmesan cheese.

2 FaFa May 16, 2010 at 12:28 am

The noodle looks so yummy….!

3 Simply Life May 16, 2010 at 3:05 am

What a great looking event and dinner!

4 Matt May 16, 2010 at 4:41 am

Lol I remember watching that episode about the garlic noodles! They look so good!

5 Anna May 16, 2010 at 5:58 am

That looks like such a fun event! And yes, you DO look sharp in your dress! Love it :-)

6 Nicole @ Making Good Choices May 16, 2010 at 6:02 am

Garlic bread version of noodles? I’m in. You look great up there with the mic, love the dress! I love when I can wear something more than once and get use out of it. I’m the queen of buying dresses and wearing them one time. I have to try vegan ice cream…I still haven’t, but it looks amazing!

7 Amy @ Second City Randomness May 16, 2010 at 6:02 am

Love the flavor suggestion board… chicken mcnugget and fries?? Really? ha ha

8 holly (The Healthy Everythingtarian) May 16, 2010 at 6:20 am

what a fun event! and you looked GORGEOUS!

and that ice cream – i want a place like that around me!

9 Katharina May 16, 2010 at 6:31 am

That tortilla meal looks delicious! I’m so glad that the event went smoothly and that you handled the questions hehehe. The ice cream sounds amazing! Red velvet ice cream? I love the suggestions too–do the customers write them down?

XO

10 Lynn at The Actors Diet May 16, 2010 at 5:52 pm

yes! the customers write down suggestions – did you notice the one that read “baby’s umbilical chord (fried)”?!?!

11 Ameena May 16, 2010 at 6:49 am

I really liked Angi when Ali and I went a while ago…sorry it wasn’t good! But I think Crustacean is much better by far!

12 Lynn at The Actors Diet May 16, 2010 at 5:53 pm

it was quite beautiful – do you think they’d kick us out if we just went and ordered 4 portions of garlic noodles?!

13 Kim May 16, 2010 at 8:25 am

OOps, the event was yesterday?! I thought it was today. I should read more carefully. Glad it was fun! I’ve gotta try that Scoops place sometime!

14 Lynn at The Actors Diet May 16, 2010 at 5:54 pm

ha! that’s okay; we cut out early anyways so i wouldn’t have been able to really hang. and next time you’re in l.a. you definitely should hit scoops – it’s the best!

15 Kat May 16, 2010 at 8:54 am

Lynn,
I love how modest/ graceful you are in all you do. Just wanted to say so! You never toot your own horn, even though you get do so many cool/ glamorous things in LA. I find that so refreshing, especially compared to some bloggers who sort of elevate themselves and their choices as being above their blah/boring readers. Just wanted to tell you how refreshing your blog is.

16 Lynn at The Actors Diet May 16, 2010 at 5:56 pm

oh kat, that was the sweetest comment ever, thank you. i just realized your blog is, for some reason, no longer on my blog reader!!! i guess i thought you were on a blogging hiatus. glad to see you’re not and i just re-added you. whew!

17 Marina May 16, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Looks like a fun event and the food looks fabulous!! :)

18 Julienne May 16, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Glad I got to see you at Macy’s. Too bad I couldn’t find you in person to say hello after the event. :( I’m in your pictures above though. I hope to see you sometime again in the future. :)

19 Justine May 16, 2010 at 6:38 pm

Sprinkles just make everything better :)

20 Erica May 16, 2010 at 6:59 pm

You look fabulous at the event! How fun. And garlic bread in pasta form? That sounds just heavenly. Glad you got to experience it! Love food network. Hope your Sunday was just as nice

21 greensandjeans May 16, 2010 at 8:38 pm

What a cool event and you looked adorable, as always!

22 sophia May 16, 2010 at 8:50 pm

Garlic noodles?! Come this way, my lovelies…Haha, the pic of you slurping the noodles! You don’t see that with many other celebrities…this is why you’re so real and lovable, Lynn!
And you can wear that outfit anytime! You do look pretty chic! :-)

23 Lynn at The Actors Diet May 17, 2010 at 8:15 am

thanks, sophia! but who is this “celebrity” you’re referring to?!?!?

24 ThankfulForSavingFace May 16, 2010 at 9:38 pm

I’m from LA but live in the OC now and regularly receive South Coast Plaza’s event emails. Then I just happen to see your name mentioned in the decription for this Macy’s event. Needless to say…I was so excited because I’m such a huge fan of your movie, Saving Face.

You handled the interview with Michelle Ngo very well on Saturday. Michelle seemed quite nervous, but you were such a pro with the interview.

Thank you for taking a picture with me, that was so kind of you. :) Your outfit was beautiful! I wish I could send you the picture because it’s a brighter picture wherein you can see all the wonderful colors on your outfit very well. The pictures above don’t do your outfit justice! :P

Thank you again….and I wish you great success, happiness, and good luck in finding more great food!

25 Jill August 5, 2010 at 11:36 am

Those noodles look yummy! I too love noodles with just butter and cheese like another commenter does!