Christy and Lynn – Ocho de Mayo

May 9, 2010

in Nutrition, product review, salads, vegan

Since neither of us got a chance to really celebrate Cinco de Mayo, we decided to have a double date/game night with Mexican food on Saturday.

Starting off with some drinks that Christy brought:

Christy: I know you expected to see some Sangria to take the place of my botched attempt last time.  But once again, I didn’t plan ahead, so we just grabbed a couple of bottles of red zinfandel to have.

Lynn: I don’t drink alcohol, so Christy poured me a glass of GT’s Raw Kombucha, which we were given a free coupon for.

Christy: Kombucha is a fermented drink that has probiotics in it, so it’s good for digestion and a healthy intestinal track.  Besides the health benefits which you can read about here, what I like about it is that in the fermentation process, it becomes almost carbonated so it feels bubbly and active going down.  I recommend it to clients who like the active feeling of carbonated drinks.  And it is also good to bring if you or someone else isn’t drinking alcohol at a party because it’s something interesting to sip on besides water, it kind of looks like champagne or beer, it tastes a little like alcohol because it is fermented, AND it is good for their health!  I am told that you can make it yourself, but I have not had much luck with it, so I always end up getting the GT Raw Kombucha brand.  Plus they have so many fun flavors.  Whole Foods is selling it by the case now (which is a bit cheaper than buying it by the bottle).

Lynn: This is the Gingerade flavor. It was bubbly and refreshing.

Chips and dips and board games!

Guiltless Gourmet makes a pretty tasty bean dip, and everyone really loved Whole Foods’ Peach Mango Salsa too.

Guacamole, of course – this was 4 avocados, 3 TB lime juice, salt/pepper, 1 large organic tomato, and cilantro.

Lynn: After looking at Mexican cabbage slaw recipes online, I made up my own version.

Christy: Look at how colorful this is!! Just seeing it got my saliva glands going!

Lynn’s Cabbage Slaw with Mango (serves  6-8)

• 1 large organic purple cabbage, shredded (I used a mandoline to get a really fine cut)
  • 1.5 organic shallot, thinly sliced and soaked in rice wine vinegar for 20 minutes, then drained/rinsed
  • 1 bag frozen mango, thawed and juices reserved
  • Cilantro, chopped for garnish

Set aside the mango and the cilantro. Toss the shredded cabbage with 1 teaspoon of sea salt in a large bowl, then move it to a colander and let it sit for 20 minutes. Use some paper towels to squeeze the cabbage (I actually found this step unnecessary since barely any liquid came out, but it WAS nicely seasoned) then toss in a bowl with the dressing below.

Dressing (Combine in Food Processor or Blender):

• Leftover mango juice (a few tablespoons)
  • Zest and juice of one small organic orange
  • 1/3 cup lime juice
  • 1/4 cup Grapeseed Oil
  • 1 TB agave
  • about 1/2 cup cilantro
  • a hefty pinch of salt and a few grinds of black pepper

Once the cabbage/dressing get a chance to hang out in the fridge together for at least 30-45 minutes, top with the mango/chopped cilantro and serve.

Lynn: I probably ate about 3 big handfuls of chips with plenty of dip/guac/salsa and a large heaping bowl’s worth of slaw.  Not to toot my own horn, but that was some mighty tasty cabbage.  It would be perfect for a summer potluck.

Christy: Toot away Lynn!  This dish was really great.  It was crispy and sweet, and surprisingly satisfying.  I had a big serving and used some chips to enjoy a little extra.

Game on! We made it through half of Quelf before we broke out Beyond Balderdash.

Julius got some playtime too – with his favorite ball.

We interrupted our game for something sweet – dessert was courtesy of Living Harvest; their Tempt Frozen Dessert -

Mint Chip Non-Dairy Frozen Dessert made with hemp milk.

Lynn: I’ve never had anything made with hemp milk before. It was delicious – creamy and rich; I definitely knew it was non-dairy but there wasn’t a weird soy aftertaste or overwhelming flavor (like with coconut ice cream).

Christy: Hemp is becoming more and more popular in vegetarian and vegan diets because this plant contains all of the amino acids that make a complete protein (whereas most vegetarian forms of protein need to be combined throughout the week to get all the amino acids).  I had never tried hemp ice cream before and I was really surprised.  I find it creamier than rice cream and not quite as heavy as the coconut ice cream.  And the mint in this flavor was really strong which I loved!

Also for dessert, some cantaloupe…

…with an optional Mexican topping – lime juice, salt, and cayenne.

Lynn: I just ate mine straight up, I didn’t want to compete with the minty flavors still lingering in my mouth. Jeff was the only one who tried this out, but he went a little heavy-handed on the spice and had to throw it out!

Lynn: What a fun dinner – I just realized it was completely vegan too, which is usually not the case with Mexican food.  Also….I am the Beyond Balderdash Queen!

Christy: That’s true Lynn!  I didn’t even think about that – I usually feel pretty full and heavy after a Mexican meal (could be the tacos or the pound of chips) but I felt light and happy.  And I think the crunch of the cabbage satisfied my desire and made me eat less chips!  Oh, and yes, you are the Beyond Balderdash Queen…for now :)

1 Diana May 9, 2010 at 12:09 pm

Looks like you girls had a good time :) The food looks really good! And I love that it was all vegan. :)

2 Nicole @ Making Good Choices May 9, 2010 at 12:12 pm

I love having dinners with some chips and lots of different kind of dips. That cabbage dip looks so good and is certainly unique! I would love to make that for a party. I’m still nervous to try kombucha, one of these days I’ll give it a try!

3 Evan Thomas May 9, 2010 at 1:04 pm

Christy steered Lynn well. I’ve tried a lot of different flavors and several different brands and the Gingerade GTS is just the best

4 vanillasugar May 9, 2010 at 1:21 pm

i keep forgetting to try that tea. and it’s bubbly too? must get it next time.

5 wendy lee May 9, 2010 at 2:02 pm

What a fun time and you both look so cute together. I recently discovered frozen mangoes at Trader Joe’s. They have them in chunks and in halves. I thaw them and even heat them up a bit and put them on top of my baked ricotta cheese for a wonderful light meal.
Your Mexican celebration looks like lots of fun.

6 kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com May 9, 2010 at 2:24 pm

cute lil party outfits! love it <3 stunners!! btw what a great suprise that it was all vegan too! nice :)

7 Simply Life May 9, 2010 at 2:53 pm

what a fun dinner!

8 Abby May 9, 2010 at 3:49 pm

We had a belated cinco de mayo celebration, too (on el seis de mayo, to be exact), but the spread didn’t look nearly as festive as yours!

9 Monet May 9, 2010 at 4:34 pm

What a fun evening! I love kombuchu as well…I only wish it wasn’t so expensive. Your dinner looked delightful, healthy and full of laughter. I am really enjoying your blog. Thank you for sharing!

10 cathy May 9, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Your dishes are fabulous, especially the cabbage with mango

11 luvtoeat May 9, 2010 at 5:38 pm

Oh all that delicious food :P Everything looks yummers! Looks like you gals had a great time. Thank you for dropping by to say Happy Mother’s Day! And a very Happy (furbabies) Mother’s Day to you both as well. I know what it felt like to be a furbaby Mommy ;-)

12 Jessie May 9, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Hi Julius!! :D

I’d go for the Kombucha over the alcohol any day. Gotta try that flavor! And that Lynn slaw, yum!

13 Tanya May 9, 2010 at 6:04 pm

That slaw looks amazing – I never thought to pair cabbage and mango for some odd reason!

14 Amber's notebook May 9, 2010 at 6:25 pm

You both are gorgeous! So funny my MIL hd an Ocho De Mayo party last night as well!~

15 whydeprive May 9, 2010 at 6:44 pm

I want some of that cabbage slaw. It sounds amazing!

16 greensandjeans May 9, 2010 at 8:01 pm

I’ve only had homemade, hippie kombucha, but if I try the packaged kind, I think that’s the way to go!

17 jibek May 10, 2010 at 1:20 am

Alkol kullanmadığına sevindim.İnşallah islamlada şereflenirsin.Allah kalbini İslama açsın canım…

18 Erica May 10, 2010 at 3:43 am

Nice!!! So funny- my husband thinks we should celebrate cinco de mayo every day of may (we love Mexican food) so I burst out laughing when I saw the title. Everything looks delicious. I’ve been wanting to try that tempt- I’ve heard such good things!

19 Matt May 10, 2010 at 4:08 am

Mmm I really want to try some Temp ice cream… What is your favorite flavor?

20 actorsdiet May 10, 2010 at 9:57 am

so far we have only tried that mint chip flavor – and it was great – more of a spearmint than a peppermint….

21 Anne Marie@New Weigh of Life May 10, 2010 at 6:02 am

Looks like fun!

22 Katie May 10, 2010 at 6:39 am

You girls are beautiful!!!!!

Lynn, I love the gingerade flavor!! I actually drink mine in a wine glass too when my fiance has a drink at home on the weekend and I dont want one, I drink my kombucha !

Thanks for the mothers day wishes!!!!!!!!

23 Maria May 10, 2010 at 9:40 am

Fun! Love Mexican food. Love that salad!

24 Maris (In Good Taste) May 10, 2010 at 10:35 am

LOL at celebrating ocho de Mayo. One year my friend and I did “cuatro de mayo” because we were at a bar and a Tequila company rep showed up and started buying everyone margaritas. It was a worknight so it was trouble! :)

25 Jennifer May 11, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Hi, it’s Jennifer from Living Harvest. Thank you for reviewing our Tempt frozen dessert. I’m so glad that you enjoyed it. Please let me know if you would be interested in reviewing more flavors!

26 bonnie.b.orourke@gmail.com June 9, 2010 at 2:49 am

You must have a very great night! Your faces tell it all! :D