Lynn – We Are Family

April 24, 2010

in restaurant, take out

I went to bed at 1 am last night – waaaay past my bedtime – by the time we got up, packed, and walked Julius, it was already noon and time to head down to the South Bay area for dim sum with my Aunt!

It took about an hour in traffic to get to PV Palace in Lomita:

P1140132.JPG

I’ve blogged about the dim sum experience before – I never really go around here (even though there are some amazing places in San Gabriel and Monterey Park) because it’s only fun with a large group that eats meat, not ideal for me and my vegetarian hubby. Come to think of it, there should be an all-veggie dim sum place…I know there’s one in New York City, anyone know of one in the L.A. Area?

My Aunt brought along a bunch of people, including some distant cousins I never knew I had!

This is how it started – I basically had everything but the fried squid and the chicken feet – yeah, I know, typical ABC

P1140133.JPG

We were able to order a bunch of vegetable dishes for Abe too. Here’s what all my little plates looked like:

dimsum.jpg

I ate everything but this:

P1140139.JPG

Obviously, I was starving since it was my first meal of the day at 1:30 in the afternoon. But I’ll be honest, it wasn’t the greatest Chinese food and I would not drive out of my way to eat here again.

To see my Aunt though, it was worth it.

Since we were in the ‘hood, we dropped by San Pedro High School, where one of my favorite movies from the 80’s, “Some Kind Of Wonderful” was filmed:

P1140140.JPG

(Those are the stairs where Amanda waits for Keith to give her a ride! But of course he’s unable to, because Watts didn’t fill up her gas tank…)

After that flashback to my adolescence, we drove to Abe’s Aunt/Uncle’s beach house where we’re staying with the cousins for the weekend…it feels like we have spent more time there in the past month than we have at our own home!

For dinner we ordered California Pizza Kitchen delivery.

This is a half order of the Moroccan Chicken Salad, a new menu item: “Moroccan Spiced chicken breast with crisp Romaine lettuce, roasted butternut squash, Medjool dates, fresh avocado, toasted almonds, fresh beets, chopped egg, carrots, dried cranberries, and red bell peppers.” I used 1/2 of the champagne vinaigrette.

Dessert was a Skinny Cow Fudge Bar:

I see cocoa in my future….

We brought over our Wii and a new game to play so that will be tonight’s activity. It’s fun to have family to hang with! Speaking of which, my brother is the featured video on The Man’s Guide to Love today…

And speaking of The Man’s Guide to Love…have you entered our giveaway yet?!

PV Palace on Urbanspoon

1 Estela @ Weekly Bite April 24, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Some Kind of Wonderful was on cable a few weeks ago. I was so excited!! I hadn’t seen it in ages!

I remember I had Pretty in Pink and Some Kind of Wonderful recorded on the same VCR tape…

Now I’m realizing how old i am ;)

2 Cindy April 24, 2010 at 7:59 pm

“ABC” …very funny.

3 kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com April 24, 2010 at 8:05 pm

what a mix of cultures.. chinese…moroccan. YUM xo

4 greensandjeans April 24, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Haha, love the Some Kind of Wonderful moment!

5 Run Sarah April 24, 2010 at 9:14 pm

LOVE dim sum, restaurants around here often have a veg menu too, its awesome!

6 luvtoeat April 24, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Dim sum is always better when you go with larger groups or you don’t get to eat as many dishes cause by the fifth dish or so you’re full. Next on the list, durian? If you ever do decide to try one, do yourself, Abe, and Julius a favor, DO NOT open it in your own home…teehee. Have a lovely Sunday :-)

7 serena April 24, 2010 at 11:58 pm

Wow, must have been a dim sum kind of weekend. I went today after a very long hiatus. So taro root puff wasn’t your cup of tea, huh?

8 Lynn at The Actors Diet April 25, 2010 at 12:50 pm

nope, unfortunately not! i don’t usually like it, and when it’s not done well, not worth it at all!

9 Simply Life April 25, 2010 at 2:26 am

I’ve only had dim sum once but loved it and definitely want to enjoy it again! Thanks for the reminder- this looks great! :)

10 Christina April 25, 2010 at 3:14 am

I know of the phrase Dim Sum but never really knew what it was. I’m definitely going to try to make it to that veggie place!

11 Anna April 25, 2010 at 4:17 am

Awww, I love that movie!

And dim sum is such a fun experience!

12 Marisa (Loser for Life) April 25, 2010 at 4:32 am

Mmmm…dim sum looks delicious!

13 Melissa S. April 25, 2010 at 6:10 am

Oh man, I need to watch some kind of wonderful now! It’s been far too long since I’ve seen it!

I’ve never had Dim Sum…and if you find a veg one in LA let me know; I want to try!

14 glidingcalm April 25, 2010 at 6:11 am

dim sum = the BESTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT. I adore!!!

15 Crystal April 25, 2010 at 9:40 am

Awesome post. All the food you mentioned looked delicious! The dim sum looked REALLY good! What made it not so great? Maybe it just looks super good to me because I haven’t had REAL Chinese food in such a long time. When you are an ABC and you are far from your older relatives, no one is around to take you to anything authentic like dim sum…. that’s my predicament, at least. :(

16 Lynn at The Actors Diet April 25, 2010 at 12:53 pm

it was a little too salty, greasy, and the ingredients weren’t very interesting (or fresh). plus things like the dumplings didn’t hold together well and it just was a messy experience. but i agree – not being around relatives, i rarely eat chinese food as much as i did when i lived near my family, which is sad for both my food blog and me!

17 Matt April 25, 2010 at 10:02 am

I’ve always wanted to try Dim Sum! Too bad there are no places around here :(

18 runningaroundnormal April 25, 2010 at 10:51 am

Heheh ABC – too funny. Looks like it tasted delicious!

19 Susan April 25, 2010 at 10:55 am

I’ve never had dim sum; I like the “round table” style though! Sharing food is fun.

That salad sounds pretty perfect minus the chicken. Sounds like you had a great day

20 lowandbhold April 25, 2010 at 10:58 am

I’ve always wanted to try dim sum. Sorry it wasn’t great, but glad you had a good family meal!

21 Jocelyn @ Peace.Love.Nutrition April 25, 2010 at 11:13 am

Fun Mix of cultures!! Too bad it wasn’t the best–At least you were with family.

22 Katie April 26, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Dim Sum is so good!!!!!!!! Have not had it in forever!!!!

Love the dessert icecream popsicle you had ! Looks good!!
xoxo

23 Maris (In Good Taste) April 26, 2010 at 5:51 pm

I just clicked on your blog from Carrots ‘N Cake and I love all of your salads! I’ll definitely be sticking around to check out some of your ideas and recipes.