Christy – Try, Try Again

April 20, 2010

in books, breakfast, dinner

So, I tried two new dishes today and neither was stellar. But I know where I went wrong and I am sure the next time I try they will turn out great.

For breakfast, I tried to make the Yam Wild Rice pancakes that Brendan Brazier gives the recipe for in his Thrive book. He says they make 2 large servings but I was warned by a friend that I might want to split them up into four servings instead (since I am not training for a triathlon or anything).

In an attempt to make the servings smaller though, I think I went a little too small and they came out thin and crumbly.

CIMG1616.JPG

He suggests fruit to go with it so I took some frozen blueberries and a little agave and heated it in a pan. The berries came out a little runny though

CIMG1614.JPG

Looks aside, it tasted great! I can’t wait to try it again and get it right next time. You should check out this book, there are a lot of tasty recipes in there.

CIMG1618.JPG

Then for dinner, I decided I wanted a “fried rice”. Which basically means I wanted a stir fry with veggies, eggs, and rice and some tamari sauce.

It started out well; I used carrots, garlic, onions, red peppers, broccoli, bok choy, frozen corn, leftover wild rice, and scrambled eggs. But when I went to add the tamari, we were all out. So I just settled for a little toasted sesame oil and some salt.

CIMG1620.JPG

It looks pretty (unlike breakfast) but tasted really bland (unlike breakfast).

If at first you don’t succeed, try try again. That is definitely my kitchen motto!

1 Simply Life April 21, 2010 at 3:51 am

I’m with you and definitely have had my kitchen mishaps – but that’s how I learn what different things do and taste like!

2 Yasmin April 21, 2010 at 4:10 am

Hey at least you tried something new!! Time to start playing around and experimenting more to perfection.

3 Heather (Where's the Beach) April 21, 2010 at 5:32 am

I have heard great things about that book. I need to check it out. I am always up for trying new recipes.

4 Anne Marie@New Weigh of Life April 21, 2010 at 5:44 am

That’s a great motto for your kitchen!

5 Molly April 21, 2010 at 5:58 am

thanks for linking my Amazing Grass giveaway!!

I love to experiment in the kitchen. I actually have a great fried rice recipe on my blog that my Dad started making 30 years ago….I like to think I perfected it a bit! : )

6 fitandfortysomething April 21, 2010 at 9:09 am

at least you gave then a try!

7 Jenn@slim-shoppin April 21, 2010 at 10:27 am

I do stir fry’s every week and my favorite stir fry sauces are by a company called

“House of Tsang” It’s in regular grocery stores in the Asian section.

They have Thai peanut, Saigon Sizzle, Classic Stir Fry, Terryaki, etc… 45 calories for 2 tablespoons and it will perk up any stir fry!

I like your breakfast though. I think to have the fruit not as runny, you have to cook it on low for a while, occassionally stirring so it kind of cafmelizes a little bit.

But that’s a great idea for topping pancakes though!

8 Christy at The Actors Diet April 21, 2010 at 10:39 am

This is great – thanks so much for the stir fry sauce recommendations! And I think you are right about the fruit.

9 anutritionisteats April 21, 2010 at 11:27 am

I hate it when things don’t turn out as good as you want them to!
Such is life, I guess!

10 Cindy April 21, 2010 at 12:19 pm

I hate it when that happens! I had to delay my salsa a day because I didn’t have any jalapenos! (Texan Fail! )

No doubt we’ll see a redo on these. …and thanks for the info on the Falafel Chips!

11 Kelsey April 21, 2010 at 12:43 pm

i bet it tasted amazing! yea who cares how it looks right. xo

have an amazing day girl! <3

12 luvtoeat April 21, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Great motto! For me it’s try try try and keep trying ;-) Have a wonderful day.