Lynn – From Bolivia to Thailand

March 20, 2010

in los angeles area interests, restaurant

Once a month, Walt Disney Concert Hall holds World City, a free music event for children. We met up with Emily, Thad, and their son Lincoln outside the stunning architectural wonder Saturday morning, where there was already a long line forming.

P1130078.JPG

Once you get your tickets, you stand on another line upstairs, to get into the small outdoor amphitheatre.

P1130081.JPG

After about an hour waiting, you choose your seats. This was our second time coming to one of these, so we were in the know – sit stage right and you’ll avoid the sun.

The program featured the dance troupe Bolivian Corazon de America:

securedownload

Lincoln was NOT a fan of the masks.

I felt bad for this dude, who had to keep one hand on his hat the entire time because it was slipping off.

securedownload-1

Outside the hall they have craft booths set up.

P1130090.JPG

It’s really a lot of fun – not only for kiddies but for adults too! We packed a picnic lunch and sat outside, with a view of the beautiful rose fountain:

P1130088.JPG

I brought some goodies to share with the group. A bag of Whale Tails tortilla chips – Lincoln was obsessed with these – I had a large handful dipped in Trader Joe’s peach salsa…

P1130093.JPG

Tierra Farm Organic Chocolate Covered Almonds (about 6 or 7 of these)…

P1130092.JPG

…veggies with ranch dressing and strawberries that Emily/Thad brought – I had a few of each.

P1130097.JPG

For myself, I made a salad. I kept the greens on top so they wouldn’t get all soggy – underneath were shredded cucumber, carrots, black eyed peas, and grape tomatoes marinated overnight in Mike’s Special Flax Seed Oil.

P1130091.JPG

All mixed up, with a dollop of peach salsa:

P1130094.JPG

After a trip to the terrific gift store, we said our goodbyes, drove back home, and took Julius for a little walk; when I got back I was quite warm and craving a soda, so I made myself one with the Sodastream:

P1130099.JPG

Diet Cola two days in a row! Wonder if I’ll have another craving tomorrow…

Around 5pm I snacked on an organic navel orange and a caramel tootsie pop.

P1130103.JPG

We tried to see a movie, but the computer screwed up our tickets and we wound up on the phone with our credit card company/the movie theater trying to straighten things out. By the time we were done with that it was too late, so we decided to go out for dinner. I wanted to try someplace new, so I did a bunch of research on some places in Thai Town.

The first restaurant we tried was closed for renovations. The next one wasn’t open past 8 pm. We finally wound up at our old standby, Ruen Pair – cheap and authentic.  We’re not afraid of the B-rating, either.  We got there just in time – Abe just made it into the packed valet lot and I snagged the last two-seater before the long lines started.

Since the weather’s warming up, I figured it might be a while before I’ll be craving soup again so I ordered that.

Egg noodles with BBQ pork and bok choy:

P1130111.JPG

Abe and I also split the Morning Glory (I may have taken more than my share):

P1130114.JPG

We always order this when we come here – it’s super duper garlic-y.

I also had a bite of Abe’s Pad See Ew with tofu:

P1130117.JPG

Everything was delicious, as usual, but I wasn’t wowed by my noodle soup. It was bland in comparison to everything else, and what I’ve eaten here before.

I wound up eating half the noodles/meat in my dish, and all the broth and veggies, making it easier to bring home and make something new with leftovers:

P1130121.JPG

We finished dinner at around 9 pm. I felt like this was late, but the place seemed like it was going to be busy for another couple hours.  When we got home I was too full for dessert <—that’s crazy.

Ruen Pair on Urbanspoon

1 Jessie March 21, 2010 at 3:03 am

Look at that long line! :O

I’m glad you had fun at dinner, although bummer about the bland noodle soup. Too full for dessert?! That never happens here, either! ;)

2 Wendy Lee March 21, 2010 at 3:18 am

What a fun event to do with your friends’ son! And a wonderful “picnic” too….

3 Simply Life March 21, 2010 at 3:30 am

Oh what a great time! I LOVE those chocolate covered almonds!

4 theemptynutjar March 21, 2010 at 3:39 am

nice fun.

5 Andrea@WellnessNotes March 21, 2010 at 4:01 am

Sounds like a fun day! I keep seeing the sodastream everywhere, and now I really want one…

Have a great Sunday!

6 Cindy March 21, 2010 at 4:31 am

Looks like a fun day. Pad See Ew is one of my favorite dishes! I think the Soda Stream might be a b-day gift to myself in a couple of months. Very jealous.

7 Alison March 21, 2010 at 5:17 am

Wow…that food looks delicious. Especially the soup. Chocolate covered almonds sound really tasty. I once bought chocolate covered brazil nuts – to die for.
The Disney Concert Hall event sounds like lots of fun. It seems like there are so many interesting things to do in L.A. I don’t know that I’d want to live in L.A. b/c there are so many downsides…but there are lots of upsides, like interesting cultural events. Sort of like living in NYC, I suppose.

8 lpskins March 21, 2010 at 6:05 am

first a banana pop, now caramel?

what a nice cultural event for children to attend!

9 Lynn at The Actors Diet March 21, 2010 at 4:44 pm

i found the caramel pops at the 99-cent store! i guess tootsie doesn’t really carry them and it’s overstocked

10 greensandjeans March 21, 2010 at 6:13 am

I have to say, you guys do an awesome job taking advantage of living in LA!

11 Can You Stay for Dinner March 21, 2010 at 6:51 am

You’re so right- the Walt Disney Concert Hall is stunning architecturally! And what a great idea to have a picnic lunch. SOunds like a perfect way to spend the day with friends!

12 Ameena March 21, 2010 at 7:33 am

I can easily eat the TJ’s Peach Salsa straight from the jar. That stuff is amazing!

13 Susan March 21, 2010 at 8:18 am

What a fun day! Mmm chips and salsa make me think of summer!

14 Light Delight with Tou Tou March 21, 2010 at 10:22 am

That concert hall looks so cool :-D glad you have a chance to see it in person!
The food is very Asian, haha I love that bowl of noodles with BBQ pork , my favorite noodle topping!

15 Janet (Pantry Bites) March 21, 2010 at 10:51 am

Great idea on layering the salads. I find that if I put a layer of grated carrots on the bottom and then add the dressing, the carrots absorb the dressing and will not get on the salad greens. That means you don’t need to take a separate container for the dressing.

16 jenn March 21, 2010 at 2:10 pm

Hi Lynn… Thanks for visiting my blog.

I love visiting the concert hall every once in a while. It’s actually been a while since I’ve been there. I think it’s time for me to plan a trip. I do want some of that egg boodle soup though. Perfect for those slightly chilly nights. Yum!

17 Mimi (Damn the Freshman 15) March 21, 2010 at 4:40 pm

-sigh- I’d love to be a publicist for Disney some day.

Hehe, I love that TJ’s peach salsa. Sooo tasty and refreshing.

18 luvtoeat March 21, 2010 at 5:00 pm

i’m intrigued by that peach salsa…sounds yummy.

had to show my hubby the picture of that concert hall, he works with structures and designs a lot. what a beautiful building, thanx for sharing. sounds like you guys had a good time.

19 Anna March 21, 2010 at 5:19 pm

Aww, that looks like a fun event! I love stuff like that :-)

20 whydeprive March 21, 2010 at 5:49 pm

That is some good looking food!!

21 liawrites March 21, 2010 at 10:59 pm

The line is just crazy. The food looks amazing. Love your posts. Just subscribed, I’m hooked. ;)

22 janetha March 22, 2010 at 7:47 am

tootsie pops will always make me think of you. from here on out.

23 lowandbhold March 22, 2010 at 10:48 am

The idea to keep greens on top of a packed salad is so smart! Never thought of that!

24 SinoSoul March 22, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Ruen Pair is more than a-ok, but if you want to try something new, skip across the parking lot to Ganda (but never to Red Corner Asia). Afraid of the B-rating? “B” means better yo.