Lynn – Spring Forward

March 15, 2010

in bakeries/cafes/dessert places, food truck, vegan

I was so tired on Sunday! Between getting to bed late after the screening (thank you all for your uber sweet comments about my dress) and daylight savings, I definitely wasn’t running on a full tank. We had brunch plans at our cousins, though, so staying in my pj’s all day was not an option.

We picked up some strawberries from the farmers market on the way and added them to the buffet:

P1120928.JPG

I wasn’t too hungry from our late-night burger/fries the night before so I filled up on mostly fresh produce:

P1120927.JPG

Fruit salad, green salad and veggies, a slice of bacon, and a delicious chorizo/potato/egg casserole. I wound up sacrificing my egg to Abe so he could get a little protein.

In the cupboards, I found something I’ve been looking for the last few months – one of Celestial Seasonings’ Holiday Tea flavors. It wasn’t the elusive Sugar Cookie Sleigh Ride but I was still so excited my friend Beth snapped a photo of me on her iphone:

photo.jpg

There was only ONE SACHET LEFT. Beth and I shared it. I felt I was excavating the remnants of a rare archaeological treasure. And folks, it was everything I had hoped it would be. Next holiday season I will be a hawk. I will swoop down the second they appear on the shelves and hoard.

After brunch we took Julius for a little walk. There were rescue puppies up for adoption!

P1120931.JPG

I want to lie in a giant box filled with food.

P1120933.JPG

Around 3:30pm I finally got a rumbly in my tummy. We decided to visit the Mandoline Grill, which I’ve been following on twitter for weeks and they were finally on our side of town! I can’t believe this is my first time going to one of the L.A. gourmet trucks since I started food blogging. Lucky for us, there wasn’t a line (I hear you can wind up waiting for up to an hour sometimes).

P1120936.JPG

Since going to Vietnam last year, I’ve been wanting to try a Banh Mi. They wouldn’t let us eat “street food” while we were abroad. I’m sure it would’ve been better there, but this was the next best thing…

P1120937.JPG

I ordered the Chicken Curry – 12″ of gloriousness:

P1120938.JPG

I had to ask her to cut it in half because I couldn’t get a handle on it! It was AH-mazing!

P1120940.JPG

So so so so so delicious. Abe raved about his Lemongrass Tofu sandwich, which I had a bite of, and agreed.

P1120941.JPG

I ate 6″, saving the rest for today, but some of it wound up dripping on my shirt. Typical.

P1120943.JPG

Since we were nearby, we had to stop by our favorite dessert place, Scoops, which I’ve blogged about before.

That’s where the line was.

P1120947.JPG

Um…. Avocado Beer Sorbet?! I tried a free sample because how could I not?!

P1120951.JPG

It was pretty good, though I don’t think I would’ve been able to tell what it was in a blind taste test or anything. I wound up going with two vegan flavors I knew I’d love – Chocolate Molasses and Caramel Oreo:

P1120949.JPG

A generous scoop of each, all for $2.50:

P1120955.JPG

Seriously. Vegans, you must try. And even non-vegan ones – their gelato is pretty stellar.

The rest of the day was pretty lazy and lovely – I did some work prepping for my upcoming movie, “Surrogate Valentine,” took a nap in the sun, and caught up on blogs. I wasn’t hungry at all for dinner but it was nearing 9pm so I decided to have something light:

P1120964.JPG

Trader Joe’s Garden Patch Veggie Soup and Spinach (both from the freezer) and nuked with some Windy City Celery Seasoning.

And an organic granny smith apple while catching up on “30 Rock.”

P1120970.JPG

I slept in this morning and am ready to have some Banh Mi for brunch!

Don’t forget to enter our Grains of Goodness Giveaway!

Mandoline Grill (food truck) on Urbanspoon

1 Evan Thomas March 15, 2010 at 9:43 am

I wish we had a scoops :-(
And gourmet food trolleys? That sounds so cool! And like such an oxymoron

2 janetha March 15, 2010 at 9:44 am

hahaha that food box photo is just too much. i wish we had gourmet food trucks here!! i need to pay you a visit!

3 theemptynutjar March 15, 2010 at 9:50 am

i recently saw that tea…i have to try it..

4 Anna March 15, 2010 at 9:59 am

Oh my goodness, I just caught up from your weekend post– you look SO SO pretty in those premier pictures! Just lovely!

Chocolate molasses vegan ice cream? Sign me up! :-)

5 Jenna March 15, 2010 at 10:03 am

I adore Banh Mi after having tried it a few months back. And I love curry. The two together sound out of this world!

6 Estela @ Weekly Bite March 15, 2010 at 10:51 am

Those puppies are sooo cute!

7 Kim March 15, 2010 at 10:54 am

Oh my, Scoops looks so good!!

I always drip on my shirts too, by the way. I just wear the same sweatshirt every night for dinner. It’s terrible.

8 Nutritious Foodie March 15, 2010 at 11:37 am

Cute puppy.. nice sandwich :)

9 Lauren March 15, 2010 at 11:48 am

OMG, it’s so funny because that tea makes my gag! That and the Apple Cinnamon. I have no idea why, but even the smell induces dry heaves for me. If I see if in the store next season, girl it’s all yours! I’ll send you boxes of the stuff! :)

Glad you had such a wonderful weekend.

<3 you Lynn!

10 DiningAndDishing March 15, 2010 at 12:16 pm

What a sunny brunch spread!! I am sooo obsessed with those holiday teas although I’ve not tried that flavor. I’m with you…next year I’m going to be aggressive about swooping them up!

- Beth @ http://www.DiningAndDishing.com

11 Stef @ moretolifethanlettuce March 15, 2010 at 12:21 pm

awww rescue pups! i would have been so tempted to stick them all in my purse and run home. too cute. strawberries make everything better!

12 Ameena March 15, 2010 at 12:40 pm

I have heard of these elusive trucks but have never eaten at one either! Looks SO good though!!

13 dawn March 15, 2010 at 12:51 pm

sweet sarah! that sub roll is calling my name. man I miss cali!
and don’t feel bad I always spill on my blouse, always. I carry that little tide stick–it really does work if you rub it on the stain right after you spill. not so good with red wine though.

14 Hallie March 15, 2010 at 12:57 pm

That tea is SO good! I was addicted to it and I’m just about out…I stocked up!

15 Simply Life March 15, 2010 at 1:08 pm

oh my, those sandwiches look amazing!

16 Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) March 15, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Those ice cream flavors sound amazing. I need to make a plan to head over there sometime!

17 luvtoeat March 15, 2010 at 1:38 pm

oh Vietnamese banh mi rock! my bestfriend used to have a banh mi shop and i used to go every weekend. My hubby says the ones in Vietnam were the best subs he ever had. I didn’t have any, they all went for subs after dinner (crazy piggies) but I was already too stuffed.
say again, avocado beer sorbet?? LA has the coolest stuff….so jealous!

18 Andrea@WellnessNotes March 15, 2010 at 3:34 pm

The sandwiches look & sound great! How fun to hunt down a truck… ;)

19 fitandfortysomething March 15, 2010 at 3:48 pm

gosh the sandwich looks great and so does scoops-must try it sometime :)

20 Nicole @ Making Good Choices March 15, 2010 at 3:49 pm

I can’t believe anything that good could come out of a truck! and I’ll take some of that scoops right now. i have to hit up the vegan ice cream shops here in NY, I haven’t yet. Have a great night!

21 Light Delight with Tou Tou March 15, 2010 at 5:08 pm

oh brunch!! I wish I had a cousin coming over and visit, and give me a reason to prepare big tables of brunch~~~ that egg casserole looks really yummmmmy :-) I like your breakfast plate !

22 Wendy Lee March 15, 2010 at 5:21 pm

That food truck is amazing. BTW I agree with you about the tea!

23 todayslady March 15, 2010 at 6:20 pm

I love Celestial Seasonings Seasonal Teas!!! I’m pretty sure you can order them online if you want. I might just do that because they don’t carry Sugar Cookie Sleigh Ride in Vancouver. Yes, I’m obsessed :)

24 Christina March 16, 2010 at 6:15 am

That brunch looks so Spring-y. I love the sunflowers!

25 Can You Stay for Dinner March 16, 2010 at 8:45 am

What a great day/brunch!! Love springtime fun!

26 Susan March 16, 2010 at 11:21 am

Part of me wishes I lived in Cali so I could try things like avocado beer sorbet – I don’t think they groove on that kind of crazy stuff here haha. And I’m not gonna lie, everytime I go grocery shopping I peruse the tea section hopinggggg to see a box of holiday tea. So far no dice. You’re a lucky duck!