Lynn – Send in the Clowns

February 15, 2010

in Uncategorized

Sunday was our last full day at the beach! A few readers thought this was OUR home…

P1120119.JPG

WE WISH!!!!

Just to make clear again – we’re house/dog-sitting across town for our Aunt/Uncle, and this is THEIR amazing home. We’ve been lucky enough to do this a few times this past year.

Their kitchen is well-stocked with all kinds of fun goodies so I made myself a random tasting plate for lunch outside –

P1120118.JPG

• Leftover pork loin
  • Almond and Coconut Kind Bar
  • Stacy’s Multigrain Pita Chips
  • Dried strawberries and pineapple
  • 2 clementines

I read a bunch of old Whole Life Times magazines that I had piled up in my car:

P1120121.JPG

This is a monthly holistic/wellness publication distributed throughout Los Angeles (and also available online). They’ve got some pretty good articles and local resources, though some of the ads get a little too new age-y for me. You can’t hold it against them, though – they gotta make a buck, and they are free! I really had a backlog collected – some going back to 2008!

Julius looked a little bored…

P1120126.JPG

…so I took him for a 30-minute walk, while listening to the newest episode of “The Because Show,” a podcast I’ve mentioned before.

This one was especially fun, because it’s all about food and they gave our blog a shoutout! You can download the episode for free on itunes.

Last night’s meal delivery choice:

P1120131.JPG

This was BBQ chicken with Turkey Bacon Collard Greens and Yam Mash. I left off the BBQ sauce (I’m not really a fan) and took off the skin, too – it was still super flavorful.

We “played” this game while we ate – “The Family Dinner” –

P1120128.JPG

It’s basically a bunch of questions designed to spark conversation at the dinner table.

P1120130.JPG

Another frozen dessert buffet:

P1120133.JPG

I had a small scoop of everything with some blackberries…

P1120136.JPG

…while we watched couples figure skating – how perfect for Valentine’s Day….

P1120140.JPG

…though I did get mean-spirited and started making fun of the men’s outfits a lot. I mean, what was he thinking?! He looks like he’s bleeding neon pink.

But nothing could compare to the Germans:

3757735477.jpg

I’m still chuckling this morning.

In between the Olympics we also watched the HBO movie “Temple Grandin,” a true story about the autistic animal scientist (played fantastically by Claire Danes) who revolutionized the cattle industry with a more humane treatment of livestock. Definitely check out this film – it was thoroughly engaging, educational, unique, and beautifully acted.

I was happy to see some hot cocoa in the house – gotta have my nightly fix!

P1120143.JPG

We have a few more hours left here before we have to head back to our side of town for an industry schmoozing event tonight. I’m totally rejuvenated and am very thankful that we had the opportunity to do this – boy oh boy, we needed it!

1 Anna February 15, 2010 at 11:33 am

Sounds like y’all have really been enjoying your “staycation” :-)

Frozen dessert buffet? Um, yes please!

2 Kim February 15, 2010 at 11:35 am

I heard “Temple Grandin” was really good and that Claire Danes was awesome in it. I’ll have to keep my eye out for it.
I missed the pairs skating! Damn! Thanks for the outfit pictures…made me giggle.

3 Evan Thomas February 15, 2010 at 11:36 am

You guys are so lucky to be the sitters :-) Who would have ever thought that to be the case?
I was not a big fan of the skating last night, but then again that’s never been my kind of winter sport

4 Jenna February 15, 2010 at 11:48 am

Hmm, I think I would love to be a dog/house sitter for somebody who has that view!

I love the frozen dessert buffet, you can never have too many ice creams or sorbets in the house!

5 Estela @ Weekly Bite February 15, 2010 at 11:57 am

What an amazing house!!I have a friend to gets to do the same thing.

6 Cindy February 15, 2010 at 12:42 pm

How was Julius this time around with the house mate? He’s had some challenges in the past having to share space with another dog.

I’m looking forward to the Temple Grandin film too. I remember the NPR show with her from many years ago. Very interesting person.

Glad I’m not the only one who gets a chuckle out of the figure skating costumes. =)

7 actorsdiet February 16, 2010 at 3:27 pm

weirdly, sundae is the only dog julius actually plays with.

8 Amber's notebook February 15, 2010 at 1:30 pm

omg that beach house looks amazing! LOL at the ice skating pics! I LOVE THE OYLMPICS!

9 kilax February 15, 2010 at 1:34 pm

I have a box of similar family questions. I sometimes use those for my Friday questions. Shhh! ;)

10 candice February 15, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Ahaha, I could use that question box times. Awkward silence? *WHAM* random question. :D You’re lucky to be sittin’ a house with such a gorgeous view!

Not fan a fan of BBQ sauce myself. Much too sweet for me… I prefer Korean barbeque, thank you very much :)

11 lowandbhold February 15, 2010 at 2:51 pm

That game sounds fun! I wish I had someone to house sit for. Sounds fun!

12 Simply Life February 15, 2010 at 3:42 pm

what a nice and relaxing time!

13 GurlOnA"Diet" February 15, 2010 at 3:46 pm

I couldn’t stop laughing at their outfits too…i think their stylists hate the men LOL the chinese pair’s performance was stunning, and their story is heartwarming too. Def who I’m rooting for (even though i’m not supposed to, being korean…haha)

14 Erica February 15, 2010 at 3:47 pm

What a great place to house sit! Just gorgeous! Love the lunchy plate- I’m a big fan of a little bit of everything. Your hot cocoa is making me crave some…may need to make some tonight :)

15 Light Delight with Tou Tou February 15, 2010 at 4:30 pm

I watched that couples figure skating too! they are always so beautiful. I remember there was a star on ice show last year, all the Olympic champions coming over – that was awesome one :-D

16 ksgoodeats February 15, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Johnny Weir calls male figure skating costumes ‘sparkly onesies’ ;) I LOVE that term! Guys really do get shafted with the costumes sometimes. I have to wonder what is going through their heads!

17 Lauren February 15, 2010 at 5:45 pm

What do you mean that’s not your home? LoL, I would have totally played that one out for a little while longer. ;)

Glad you are having a great time Lynn. and I LOVE your method of having every single ice creme. This is SOOO me! I can never decide on a flavor and end up with a big bowl of a little taste of everything. Why not right?!?! :)

18 Angie February 15, 2010 at 6:10 pm

I’m so glad you mentioned the German skaters!! I was wondering if I was the only one thinking…what is with their eyebrows??

Love your beach getaway! And love your tasting plate for lunch- that is my favorite way to eat.

Have a great week, Lynn!

19 MarathonVal February 15, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Lynn, I’m so glad that you left a comment on my blog earlier because your new blog posts haven’t been showing up on my Google Reader… I fixed the prob and now I’m so excited to have your last 10 or so posts to catch up on! Have fun house sitting!

20 Lynn at The Actors Diet February 16, 2010 at 3:49 pm

yay, me too! glad you’re back val!

21 Jamie (Food in Real Life) February 15, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Your breakfast looks good! What is the little pink peppermint looking thing? Is it a vitamin of some sort? I take chewy vitamins myself.

22 Lynn at The Actors Diet February 16, 2010 at 3:51 pm

hi jamie! yes, it’s a calcium chew. you can see more about my supplements on our “questions” page: http://theactorsdiet.wordpress.com/faqs/

23 theemptynutjar February 15, 2010 at 7:05 pm

u are so fun lynn.
that chicken drumstick and the yams look great…
i would eat all those tubs of ice cream :)

24 Melissa S. February 15, 2010 at 7:06 pm

love the beach pic…would say i’m jealous and want to be back at home in Anaheim to hit up the beach…but Miami is treating me nicely out here in the east. ;)

i’m going to have to check out those podcasts..i need something new!

25 Ameena February 15, 2010 at 7:38 pm

What a gorgeous place to house sit…I am pretty jealous!!

26 Can You Stay for Dinner February 15, 2010 at 7:58 pm

Wow, so many great things in this post- food looks dynamite! I loooove podcasts so I’m glad to know of another good one to check out. And thanks for the movie review! I’m sort of sad that you’re leaving that house because it’s just so damn pretty!

27 whydeprive February 15, 2010 at 8:16 pm

Haha I love making fun of some of the costumes! They get pretty ridiculous. Am I the only one who misses Elvis Stojko and his jeans? That is a manly figure skater!

Love the frozen dessert buffet! That is such a good idea!

28 greensandjeans February 15, 2010 at 8:39 pm

My mom has been going through a bunch of boxes so she is going to let me know if she comes across that tape!

29 Special K February 16, 2010 at 1:25 am

I have a friend who SWEARS by those kind bars…I am wondering if there are homemade versions of them with rice syrup; or something…
and the beach! The best thing to read at the beach is definitely a magazine!

30 fitandfortysomething February 16, 2010 at 5:48 am

What a perfect day and what a view! I wonder if I would leave that spot at all if I was there?

I really like Kind bars too.

Thank you for the vegan restaurant options…..my sis and I want to do something fun for my b-day lunch coming up.

Have a great day!

31 Anne Marie@New Weigh of Life February 16, 2010 at 7:23 am

Loving all that ice cream!!

32 BlessedHi5Ive February 16, 2010 at 8:04 am

We missed the figure skatng but had fun celebrating CNY with family and friends in Orange Co. And a baby birthday too at Goofy Kitchen in Disney Hotel although the food is so geared for children under 10. Loved the new bakery 85*C Bakery in Irvine. Gained 3 lbs just this wkend. Housesitting at the beach house sounded fabulous but I bet you 2 (& Julius too) are glad to be back home.

33 lynnchenrocks February 16, 2010 at 8:29 am

Lynn you’re killing me with all those desserts. Kudos to you for only having a little of everything! I must go get me some coconut sorbet now (still drooling as I type). Glad you guys enjoyed your longweekend.

34 katie February 16, 2010 at 8:45 am

Oh Lynn , girl after my own heart, loving all the icecream and that you sampled each!!

How fun to be housesitting and dogsitting and wow right near the beach@! amazing!!!

I was watching the figure skating too and laughing at the outfits ! lol!!! too funny!!

Have a great day! xoxo

35 Katharina February 16, 2010 at 9:08 am

How lucky to be house sitting in such a wonderful place + tons of goodies :D A well-stocked kitchen = a happy me. I am loving the frozen dessert buffet and ending the day with a cup of hot cocoa. So comforting.

XOXO

36 Vicki February 16, 2010 at 10:07 am

I’ve really wanted to see the Temple Grandin movie.

Looks like a great house sitting experience! :)

37 kellieatsforfun February 18, 2010 at 10:36 am

Looks like you guys had a great time :) I’m curious (I think you’ve addressed this, but I couldn’t find the post) about what vitamins you take and how often you take them. I currently take a Calcium+Vitamin D, BeneFiber, Women’s One a Day, and an Omega-3 (special variety for eye health), but feel like there are some great supplements I’m missing out on. Keep up the great work!

38 Lynn at The Actors Diet February 18, 2010 at 4:43 pm

you can see more about the supplements we take on our “FAQ” page: http://theactorsdiet.wordpress.com/faqs/

thanks for reading!