Christy – New York Dining

February 11, 2010

in restaurant, travel

I am here in the big apple dining all week long, which means you get to dine with me :)

Last night I had dinner with some friends of mine at their apartment. They made turkey tacos with guacamole, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and what I thought was green onions. Turns out I was wrong – they were japalenos!

The table

CIMG1056.JPG

And my plate

CIMG1057.JPG

My taco was good, but obviously very spicy. I won’t make that mistake again! At least my sinuses are clear :)

Here are my gracious hosts and chefs for the evening

CIMG1058.JPG

For tonight’s dinner, we took out our friends who we are crashing with while we are here to a place called Blossom Cafe. There is a Blossom Restaurant downtown but we decided to go for the cafe since it is closer and the weather is still crappy.

Blossom is a vegan cafe with really yummy gourmet food. We all had a glass of wine and then ordered their butternut squash soup for an appetizer. We dug in right away – even before the camera came out

IMG00006-20100211-2013

It was really creamy tasting even though there was no dairy in it at all. This is just the thing to chase away the chill in the air.

For dinner, I split the Acorn Squash Risotto with my friend. The risotto is gluten free and came in an acorn squash with little sweet potato crisps on top and swiss chard surrounding it.

IMG00008-20100211-2046

AMAZING!! So, so good. It was warm and creamy (minus the cream) which is what I have been craving since I got here. It is really true that where you live effects what you crave.

My friend also ordered a side of Brussels sprouts. But we all know how I feel about those.

IMG00007-20100211-2046

For dessert we stopped by an adorable cafe called Peacefood Cafe. We got three desserts to go and split them all. All of them are made with natural sweeteners.

A raw Key lime pie which is made with coconut and avocado

CIMG1061.JPG

A tiramisu

CIMG1062.JPG

And a magic cookie that had chocolate chips, coconut and carrots in it!

CIMG1060.JPG

The cookie was by far my favorite – not too sweet and really most.

We are headed to Gusto Organics tomorrow night which I hear is amazing. I can’t wait!!

Cafe Blossom on Urbanspoon
Peacefood Café on Urbanspoon

1 Lynn @ The Actors Diet February 11, 2010 at 8:05 pm

darling, are you KIDDING ME?!?!! WE WENT TO THE SAME EXACT PLACES WHEN WE WERE IN NYC!!!

i knew there was a reason we started a food blog together….

2 Christy at The Actors Diet February 12, 2010 at 8:22 pm

Great minds eat alike :)!

3 Jerilyn February 11, 2010 at 8:05 pm

Hey lovely ladies! Talked up your blog on my latest podcast episode of The Because Show because our topic was ‘Food!’. Hope I did justice to your site,( it’s toward the 2nd half of the show) when I give it nice juicy shout-out!
Here’s the itunes link: http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=336560437

4 Christy at The Actors Diet February 12, 2010 at 8:21 pm

Thank you! Can’t wait to listen to it!

5 jqlee February 11, 2010 at 8:12 pm

I love tiramisu…I need to find a “healthy” recipe for it because I know it’s not good for you. But it tastes soooo good!

6 Sara K February 11, 2010 at 8:15 pm

Yummmm, that all looks fabulous despite the fact that I just ate dinner! Especially the taco spread and the carroty cookies! And yup I feel the same way about b-sprouts!

7 kathleen February 11, 2010 at 8:37 pm

ooh I’ve been to the blossom restaurant. I liked it!

8 lequan February 11, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Omg too funny about the “green onions”. I hope you’re ok. Did you actually finish the whole taco? You seem like one of those people who would just cause you’re too nice and you didn’t want to be rude. Those eats look so yummy…very jealous. Enjoy the rest of your stay in NYC.

9 Christy at The Actors Diet February 12, 2010 at 8:21 pm

You’re right, I ate it all. I didn’t even think not too but now that you say it, I could have made a new one :)

10 whydeprive February 11, 2010 at 8:52 pm

I love tacos! Those look so good!!
Key lime pie with avocado? The crazy thing is that it sounds really good. How do people think of these things?

11 katie February 12, 2010 at 3:49 am

Hope you are having fun in NYC, love it there!! I know they were supposed to get snow too, hope not too much!!

I love tiramisu, it is the best!! looks good!!

Heating up cold cereal is amazing!!

12 GurlOnA"Diet" February 12, 2010 at 4:38 am

Yum i lovee jalapenos! that taco looks amazing…and the desserts! and i love acorn squash- just oven roasted, eaten with a spoon!

13 Heather February 12, 2010 at 5:01 am

Ah tiramisu—my favorite!!!

14 Simply Life February 12, 2010 at 5:05 am

i love the presentation of the squash!

15 Bekah February 12, 2010 at 5:35 am

OMG this restaurant looks amazing! I’m going to NYC this weekend with a friend and I’m hoping to find some yummy eats. Those brussel sprouts are calling my name though… yumm.
:) xoxo

16 Anne Marie@New Weigh of Life February 12, 2010 at 6:34 am

Looks like so much fun!

17 ginamastrog February 12, 2010 at 8:12 am

I want those jewels!! And oh my goodness, the brussels? They’re my faavorite. :-)

18 fitandfortysomething February 12, 2010 at 8:13 am

Love the squash risotto! Yum that is what I would order. Have fun in NYC!

19 Can You Stay for Dinner February 12, 2010 at 9:22 am

wow wow wow. Those desserts look phenomenal. Raw key lime pie? Yum

20 anutritionisteats February 12, 2010 at 11:11 am

I love that risotto presentation! Yum, it looks great!

21 biz319 February 12, 2010 at 12:03 pm

The fresh jalapenos were the best part of that taco! OMG, I eat about 1 jalapeno a day – either in my sammie or tossed into my eggs. My husband believes I have burned all my tastebuds off with all the hot stuff I eat!

22 Kristen @ Change of Pace February 12, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Everything looks amazing. You really have good food choices eating out… Sometimes it’s hard to make good choices like that :)

23 kim February 14, 2010 at 1:35 pm

I still wanted to try Peacefood Cafe, but it’s just too far for me to travel to (UWS).