Lynn – Hugo’s

February 9, 2010

in product review, restaurant, snacks

Before leaving for my audition yesterday, I packed a few Foods Alive Organic Flax Crackers:

P1110929.JPG

This is their “Italian Zest” flavor, filled with all kinds of seasonings:

P1110932.JPG

I ate them in my car, after I finished auditioning. They were good, but really seed-y and had me wishing for some dental floss while I drove back. Back in my neighborhood, I spotted a dog wandering around without a leash/owner – by the time I parked and ran out (with a piece of rawhide from Julius’ crate in hand) it was gone. I blame my high heeled boots for slowing me down, and so does Julius:

P1110934.JPG

Sorry, buddy. I tried to rescue your four-legged friend!

Since I was still all dressed up, I wanted to go out for dinner. Abe had recently read that Hugo’s Restaurant had a vegan mac ‘n cheese special this month so we decided to go there.

Hugo’s is one of those health-conscious places that anyone can go to – vegans, meat-eaters, kiddies – with an overwhelming menu that has everything from all-day breakfast to mung beans and rice.

Usually I go with one of their hearty salads but last night I was craving something heavy on protein. I almost never eat red meat, since I don’t cook it at home, but when I saw that they had hormone and antibiotic-free beef I decided to go with a burger, ordered medium well with a side salad:

P1110953.JPG

I find it pretty hilarious that their beef burger comes with Vegan Mayo on it. I also added some organic ketchup and mustard. It was super juicy, flavorful, and totally hit the spot.

I snuck a bite of Abe’s Poboy Portobello Sandwich and Fries, which WAS vegan and pretty darn good:

P1110959.JPG

Notice how neither of us wound up ordering the mac ‘n cheese that got us through the door?

I think if Hugo’s was closer to us and had easier parking we would go all the time, but it’s not a place we frequent, despite the fact that we’ve enjoyed our meals there. Even though they renovated a few years ago, the space is kind of…I dunno…cold? I felt like we were bad kids, sequestered to a separate dining area:

P1110951.JPG

They are friendly, though, and how can I not give a big thumbs up to a place that gives out free Ginger Candy?

P1110961.JPG

You still have a few more days to enter our Crofter’s Organic Superfruit Spread Giveaway!

Hugo's on Urbanspoon

1 Evan Thomas February 9, 2010 at 3:39 pm

I wouhave gone crazy for the vegan mac and cheese, I almost bought one at whole foods the other day!

2 Sara K February 9, 2010 at 3:40 pm

That burger looks deliciousssssssss! Might have to fulfill a craving for that soon :)

3 ginamastrog February 9, 2010 at 3:44 pm

This restaurant sounds great! I’m sorry you didn’t make it to rescue the doggy, but it’s the thought that counts! I’ve never had ginger flavored candy, but that sounds delicious!

4 Kim February 9, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Cool, that restaurant looks good! I’ve never heard of it, but vegan mac n’ cheese does sound delicious (though I’m sure I’d end up ordering something else too… haha).

5 Anna February 9, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Ooh, I agree– any restaurant that give out ginger candy is good in my book! :-)

6 Lauren February 9, 2010 at 4:48 pm

Haha, no mac and cheese?!?!? Well, the burger looked good enough to forget all about the mac. This place was made for you Lynn, I mean what other restaurant gives out Ginger Chews as an after dinner mint. LoL, they must read your blog! ;)

7 anutritionisteats February 9, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Love the sound of that restaurant and love that you “went” for mac & cheese and neither of you got it! (I do that all the time!)

8 Jenna February 9, 2010 at 5:58 pm

Ginger candy? I’ve never heard of such a thing, but sounds fabulous!

I usually go to a restaurant wanting one thing and ordering something totally different too.

9 Ameena February 9, 2010 at 6:20 pm

I really like Hugo’s but I agree about their space being really weird. And we went for dinner so it was kind of empty. I think it’s much better for breakfast!

10 fitandfortysomething February 9, 2010 at 6:42 pm

That restaurant looks good…..Hmmmm may have to make a trip down.

11 Daria @ Daria Can Cook February 9, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Love the vegan mayo on the burger. There’s a hot dog place near me that makes a “contradiction dog” – a tofu dog topped with meat chili.

12 Cindy February 9, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Love the vegan mayo on the Beef Burger. Even food has inner conflict sometimes.

Hope things went well with your audition.

13 Chrysta February 9, 2010 at 7:13 pm

omg! This looks awesome. Im so gonna have to look this place up. I would love some vegan mac and cheese. Good luck at your audition hon!

14 Light Delight with Tou Tou February 9, 2010 at 7:18 pm

Oh lucky you! the dog is so cute !! how’s audition? hope its going well!!
Looks like a really sweet place – they have Gin-gins!! my favorite candy!!I like potbelly sandwich and if there is an option, I will definitely choose it :-D

15 lowandbhold February 9, 2010 at 7:19 pm

I def would have ordered the mac n cheese. Can’t get enough. Vegan mayo on a burger is pretty ironic :)

16 Andrea@WellnessNotes February 9, 2010 at 7:51 pm

Hugo’s sounds good. I rarely eat beef, but a really good burger sounds good once in a while… :)

17 katecooks February 9, 2010 at 9:08 pm

ah! a restaurant mention of a place where ive actually eaten :) hugos is pretty great. my boss goes there almost every sunday LOL and he talks about it ALL the time! mac and cheese sounds good but your orders look even better!

18 Wendy Lee February 10, 2010 at 4:41 am

Hugo’s sounds like the perfect “date” place for a couple or friends where one person is a vegan or vegetarian and the other an occasional carnivore! BTW, just got a copy of Michael Pollan’s new paperback called FOOD RULES : An Eater’s Guide. I am a big fan of his work. I bought it for my hubby for Valentine’s Day (we don’t actually celebrate it) because I love him so much I want him to stay healthy! The book is a little pricey for a puny paperback, but knowing the author’s work, I’m pretty sure it’s worth it. That’s why I thought of it as a “gift”…
Good luck on your continuing auditions and dog-saving missions!

19 Simply Life February 10, 2010 at 5:02 am

oh those crackers sound delicious!

20 ksgoodeats February 10, 2010 at 6:37 am

Aww – sorry you couldn’t catch the puppy! I always try to catch them as well! That portobello sandwich sounds fantastic!

21 Katharina February 10, 2010 at 6:39 am

Lol vegan mayo on a beef burger? That’s funny but maybe the vegan mayo is their specialty ;) The poboy portobello burgers sounds SOO GOOD!! And after dinner ginger candies?! I want some!!! You and I are on the same boat when it comes to those ginger chews hehehe. I would be one of the happiest people ever if someone bought me like a 10 lb. jar of them.

XOXO

22 Susan February 10, 2010 at 11:55 am

Haha that mayo is an oxymoron for sure! And way to rock those bossy boots!!! I am not a fashionista by any means, but cute boots always get me!

23 greensandjeans February 10, 2010 at 12:44 pm

You know I love me some boots!