Lynn – Rewind, Repeat

January 2, 2010

in restaurant, travel

2010 started off with a trip to one of my favorite restaurants in New York, Spring Street Natural….

P1100508.JPG

…for a blogger meetup with Ada, Nathalie, Chelsea, and Marina!

P1100519.JPG

I munched on a piece of each bread basket offering – Rosemary Tomato and something multigrain-y….

P1100511.JPG

…and ate about 3/4 of the Asian Salad without crispy noodles (Boston, romaine and iceberg lettuce, pineapple, toasted almonds, carrots, jicama, mango, spring onions with grilled free range chicken and spicy toasted sesame-miso dressing on the side):

P1100517.JPG

Still delicious, though the bread wasn’t as rockin’ as I remember it being…

After brunch with the the lovely ladies, I hopped on the train to the Upper West Side to hang out with my friends Emily and Jim, who I haven’t seen in years. When I got back to Chelsea, Abe and I caught up with one another (our first time being apart in over a week!) and just chilled in the apartment for a few hours.

I waited for my appetite to come back, but it never really did, so around 7:00 we tried to figure out someplace to go that wouldn’t be too heavy or expensive or require a reservation. Abe wanted to go to Spring Street Natural, but I didn’t want to eat there twice in one day (though I must admit the idea was tempting). Finally, we decided on a new vegan place I’ve read about on other blogs – Peace Food Cafe – so I made yet another trip to the Upper West Side.

The restaurant was very cozy and casual….they were blasting Beatles music and we instantly felt at home.

P1100521.JPG

Abe and I both ordered sandwiches and shared them – the roasted japanese pumpkin (with caramelized onions, ground walnuts, and vegan goat cheese on toasted whole spelt rye) and the pan seared french horn mushroom panini (with sun-dried tomatoes, arugula, artichoke aioli, mint and basil pesto on homemade focaccia).

P1100536.JPG

Both were insanely good (and would satisfy a skeptical meat-eater) but I did prefer the panini, which shocked my pumpkin-loving self. The latter did come with a little bit of jicama but it was more of a garnish than a side.

So Abe also ordered some baked soy nuggets with herbed vegan mayo, which I tried one of.

P1100534.JPG

Not bad – though I like the frozen soy nuggets from Trader Joe’s better, so that’s not really saying much.

All in all I really liked this place, as did Abe. I read on yelp that the service here can be iffy – what was interesting was that there seemed to be a dozen people running around for such a small cafe. They were all super friendly and content; my one issue was that they brought my order out about 5 minutes before Abe’s.

We talked about going down to Tribeca to visit the movie theater where we got married (yes, you heard right) but I felt cold and stuffed so we just went back to the apartment instead to snuggle and digest.

I poured myself a cup of Yogi Tea (Calming flavor) which had a nice positive message.

P1100540.JPG

Thank you, tea bag.

With a tootsie pop cause my mouth was bored (even though my stomach wasn’t).

P1100543.JPG

We watched about 10 minutes of “Alvin and the Chipmunks” until we couldn’t take it anymore and decided to go to bed. A nice mellow start to the New Year and a solid night’s sleep.

Spring Street Natural on Urbanspoon

Peacefood Café on Urbanspoon

1 Anna January 2, 2010 at 7:15 am

Mmmm….all those eats look great! Looks like a fun blogger meet-up too!

I HATE it when servers bring out the meals at different times. It makes the meal so awkward!

2 Rosey Rebecca January 2, 2010 at 7:32 am

That place looks so cute! So sorry I couldn’t make it! Glad you had fun though.

3 Alison January 2, 2010 at 7:51 am

Looks like you’re having a great time!
The sandwiches look and sound delicious. The panani looks especially good even though I hate mushrooms. I bet the pumpkin sandwich was wonderful.

4 Marina January 2, 2010 at 8:06 am

It was great meeting you yesterday! I had fun!!

5 Daria @ Daria Can Cook January 2, 2010 at 8:08 am

I love that you got married in a movie theater. How cool! And I’m impressed that you made it through even 10 minutes of Alvin and the Chipmunks. ;)

6 Angie January 2, 2010 at 8:21 am

Beautiful meals!! The sandwiches look amzing!

And, I love tea bags with happy messages….and chocolates too!

Happy New Year, Lynn!

7 Evan Thomas January 2, 2010 at 8:24 am

The grilled chicken salad looks unreal! Definitely my type of cafe

8 leianna January 2, 2010 at 8:29 am

Your trip to NYC is like foodie heaven, I’ve heard about Peace Cafe through other blogs. I love paninis, wish I had a press to make my own sometime!

9 Susan January 2, 2010 at 9:14 am

Mmm I’d love to try that vegan place!
And I want more deets on the movie theater wedding – I love wedding stories!

10 Ada January 2, 2010 at 9:25 am

That’s so funny that you went to Peacefood Cafe, I literally live right by it! I also still can’t believe your roomate was that doctor, what a strange coincidence!

11 Chelsea January 2, 2010 at 12:09 pm

I want to go to New York again! All that food looks delish!

I love the cup in your last shot-soo cute.

12 Light Delight with Tou Tou January 2, 2010 at 3:48 pm

Blogger meet up!!! so much fun ;-D we had one in DC too today. it feels so good to meet up with your virtue foodie friends !

that salad looks awesome :-D I love it!

13 Amber January 2, 2010 at 4:03 pm

How fun! I know i say this almost everytime but your food always looks SO good! And I love the yogi teas and their positive messages.

14 greensandjeans January 2, 2010 at 7:48 pm

Yay for blogger meetups! That place looks so good! I’ll have to check it out the next time I’m out there!

15 candice January 2, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Delicious-looking bread and dressing. Love toasted sesame anything :) I WISH I could buy a roasted kabocha sandwich! Seriously, if it were tasty, I would be an eternal patron… Sometimes, I don’t get hungry all day, too, even though I’ve been walking around and everything. It’s weird and slightly annoying, because then eating becomes almost like a chore.

16 Chelsea Ward January 2, 2010 at 9:33 pm

It was so, so nice to meet you yesterday Lynn! I had a lovely time at lunch getting to know you all face-to-face. Looks like you had a foodtastic remainder of the day as well. That sandwich and those soy nuggets look yummy! I will place that restaurant on my queue of healthy places to eat in the city.

Have a safe, warm trip back to LA. I’m sure today’s weather had you itching for the warmth of Southern CA a bit. Heck, I was itching for the warmth of the West!