Lynn – Welcome Home!

November 29, 2009

in travel

It’s really nice to be back in Los Angeles. Here’s what my last day in the Boston area looked like -

We woke up, packed, and checked out of the hotel so that we could all head over to the bakery where my cousin Rachel (the one who made the marvelous Thanksgiving treats) works, Swiss Bakers in Reading, MA.

P1090323.JPG

She treated us all to a lovely pastry breakfast!

P1090324.JPG

I began with a free sample of Raspberry Croissant…

P1090335.JPG

…then ordered a cup of herbal tea and this jumbo pretzel (which I ate about 1/3 of)

P1090329.JPG

A bite of a chocolate weggli -

P1090331.JPG

And a bite of a special treat isn’t even available in the bakery yet – PRETZEL CROISSANTS!!!

P1090332.JPG

Absolutely unbelievable. Buttery, light, flakey, and pretzel flavored!!!

There were 12 of us packed into that tiny bakery for well over an hour (with only one table) so we decided it was time to say our good-byes and continue on with our travels. We bid adieu to Abe’s family, who was driving back to Philadelphia, and the rest of us killed some time before our flight.

We headed to the nearby Jordan’s Furniture, which I’d never heard of before but apparently they’re all over Massachusetts. As their slogan aptly describes, “Not just a store, an experience.”

An experience, indeed. This place was crazy!

The Reading location had a whole town made out of jellybeans:

P1090337.JPG

Yup – those are beans:

P1090346.JPG

And so are these:

P1090340.JPG

So much stuff to look at! Fenway’s Green Monster:

P1090342.JPG

This place was perfect to get out of the crazy weather (it was blustery and c-c-c-cold) with our cousins.

They even had trapeze (the main reason we went here, since you may remember that Franny and Mark both go to trapeze school in L.A.)

P1090362.JPGP1090355.JPG

Insanity, this place was. We didn’t even check out the giant furniture store part.

After saying goodbye to our cousins, it was just me, Abe, and Aunt Gail. We stopped by Flour Bakery since it was near the airport.

P1090363.JPG

It was a really cool place – Gail ordered a soup and Abe got a sandwich to go but I didn’t have anything. The place was super crowded, especially with kiddies since it was near The Children’s Museum.

P1090365.JPG

We also wandered into the Boston Fire Museum, where the two super charming guys showed us around:

P1090367.JPG

They shot “The Departed” here!

We got to the airport with plenty of time to spare – surprisingly, the lines were super short. Logan has a pretty good food court with interesting options. I hit the counter of Ufood Grill:

P1090369.JPG

I ordered a salad to eat on the plane and enjoyed a cup of vegetarian chili, without cheese:

P1090373.JPG

A bite of Abe’s hummus and veggie sandwich from Flour Bakery:

P1090374.JPG

And a crunchy New England apple:

P1090376.JPG

I got hungry on the plane about 3 hours later. I dug into my salad, which had chicken, cranberries, and walnuts with a sweet pomegranate dressing:

P1090372.JPG

Pretzels (x2):

P1090377.JPG

Around 20 minutes later I was still hungry so I ate this organic pear. (FYI – not my beer in the background!)

P1090378.JPG

We watched A LOT of “Curb Your Enthusiasm” …

P1090382.JPG

And I read the first 100 pages of Kathy Griffin’s autobiography, which my sister-in-law Anna brought for me. She said there was some stuff in it about eating disorders/Hollywood that I could probably relate to and there sure was – I had no idea Kathy Griffin was also a binge eater/anorexic…it was helpful for me to read about that, plus her struggles with persevering in this super brutal business….

P1090384.JPG

It was the perfect plane book; I may have to save the rest of it for our trip back east for the Holidays!

1 myenglishplate November 29, 2009 at 7:14 pm

just discovered your blog and its amazing :) good insights from both you on healthy eating and struggles of keeping it constant. gotta give it to you for admitting the disorder, that was really brave and inspirational. keep it up. happy thanksgiving from uk, where thanksgiving apparently dont exists. we're grateful people too, and a lot to be grateful for but such a shame its not on our official holidays. so i just eavesdrop on other people's thanksgiving :)

2 Food Makes Fun Fuel November 29, 2009 at 8:05 pm

You pretty much hit up the best places in Boston :-) I loved Ufood Grill when I worked near one in the summer–they chopstick chicken Ubowl, veggie burgers, bison burgers, and thanksgiving sandwiches are all heaven. And I forgot Kathy Griffin's book was out. I'm not much of a reader for fun but I'm all for buying books that sound good and letting them gather dust on my counter while I keep "meaning to get to them" haha.

3 Stephanie November 29, 2009 at 8:12 pm

I just found your blog through the other food blogs I read and love it. Its nice to read about people who share there struggles with body image and how they overcome it. I am also intrigued about your life as an Asian American actress. I am a recent college graduate who has decided to nix the idea of going to medical school. I love the art of acting but have no idea how to even get my toe in movies/TV. Being an Asian American I see so little roles offered to Asian women. I would love any sort of feedback or tips :) my email: stephanieliu1787@gmail.com

4 actorsdiet December 1, 2009 at 7:23 am

Hi Stephanie, thanks for your sweet comment – glad you found us! There are a lot of resources available online to help you get started with your career, I recommend listening to The Everything Acting podcast, which will give you a lot of how-to’s for beginners. Also, I’ll try to do a more thorough answer in our when I get a chance – check back in a week or so in the “Questions” section of the blog. Lynn

5 Simply Life November 29, 2009 at 8:43 pm

I've heard so many good things about Flour and really hope I can get a bit to eat there one day!

6 Light Delight with Tou Tou November 29, 2009 at 9:06 pm

That Jellybean place looks so interesting!!! I would love to visit it!In our behavior lab, we used to have a big experiment about product partition using tons of jelly beans….so all the students become a jelly bean fan….we had sooo many of them , and when every body passing by, we just can't help to ask "do you want some jelly beans?"

7 Suzie November 29, 2009 at 10:04 pm

Welcome back! It looks like you had a wonderful time with your family over the holiday. :)

8 Tricia November 29, 2009 at 10:18 pm

Yum, the veggie and hummus sandwhich looks great!

9 Alison November 29, 2009 at 10:19 pm

Welcome home! Love the jellybean store – my kids would have gotten a huge kick out of it. (As would I!)

10 K from ksgoodeats November 29, 2009 at 10:32 pm

I LOVE Kathy so I may have to check out her book! Thanks for the mini review. I have to say, you're killing me with the bakery photos. I want one of everything! Glad you had a safe trip back!

11 candice November 29, 2009 at 11:10 pm

Pretzel croissants! That's BRILLIANT. That sandwich looks delicious, too—I've heard great things about Flour Bakery!

12 Andrea@WellnessNotes November 29, 2009 at 11:22 pm

It sounds like you had a really nice trip. But I always like the feeling of walking in the door after a trip; it's always so nice to be home! :)

13 Lauren November 30, 2009 at 1:25 am

Glad you made it home safely. Boston looked like a blast! I have heard amazing things about Flour and this place is on my list to try before I die. Hope you enjoy the rest of your weekend! ;)

14 Katherine November 30, 2009 at 1:50 am

looks like you guys had an awesome time! wanted to tell you that i, too, am planning a wordpress transition for my blog. i would love to read that book cause i know she has had an interesting career! i am thankful for all the blogs i read and wanted to share that i am thankful for all the posts on the actors diet and so appreciate it when you give me a visit, too!

15 Alison November 30, 2009 at 2:50 am

Wow…a whole town made out of jelly beans. That's pretty impressive or kinda freaky :-)

16 thefoodiediaries November 30, 2009 at 2:52 am

pretzel croissant!? SERIOUSLY?is it sick that i really want to get my hands on that and try making french toast with it?

17 Janetha November 30, 2009 at 3:52 am

mmm that bakery looks like it was fantastic! glad you had lots of fun in btown. oxox

18 Amber November 30, 2009 at 4:04 am

wow makes me want to visit Boston!! The food all looks great!!

19 Christina November 30, 2009 at 3:23 pm

I had no idea there were such cool places in Boston. I'm supposed to hate it because I'm a Yankees fan but the town made of jelly beans might have changed my mind a bit!

20 Low November 30, 2009 at 6:58 pm

Those pastries look delectable. I love the idea of a pretzel croissant.

{ 2 trackbacks }